Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't get to choose what peoples intentions and implications are through social theory.

You are quite right I do not have that choice. Not what I am saying.

I regard myself, like most of us no doubt, as not being particularly racist. When I grew up the expression "that's the fellow in the wood pile" had no racist connotation for me at all. It meant no more nor less than that some overlooked fact had or would upset what had been planned. I did not even intend to refer to a person of African ancestory.

Unfortunately for me the PC police came along and said the use of the N word even in that context was offensive. Because others would take the word to be a negative reference to a person of African ancestory. Now I know that use of the N word even in my innocent context, will be taken to be racist, I am bound to accept that if I use the expression then I am being racist - whatever my purported intention may be.

The same applies to people who boo Adam Goodes. Once a fan knows that booing Goodes will be taken as being racist - that knowledge condemns the fan to being a racist if they boo Adam Goodes. It's something to do with eating from the tree of knowlege.

If you don't agree with me, try going around the USA referring to "fellows in the wood pile" and see how far you get. However innocent you claim the expression to be.

I regard myself, like most of us no doubt, as not being particularly racist. When I grew up the expression "that's the fellow in the wood pile" had no racist connotation for me at all. It meant no more nor less than that some overlooked fact had or would upset what had been planned. I did not even intend to refer to a person of African ancestory.

Unfortunately for me the PC police came along and said the use of the N word even in that context was offensive. Because others would take the word to be a negative reference to a person of African ancestory. Now I know that use of the N word even in my innocent context, will be taken to be racist, I am bound to accept that if I use the expression then I am being racist - whatever my purported intention may be.

The same applies to people who boo Adam Goodes. Once a fan knows that booing Goodes will be taken as being racist - that knowledge condemns the fan to being a racist if they boo Adam Goodes. It's something to do with eating from the tree of knowlege.

If you don't agree with me, try going around the USA referring to "chaps in the wood pile" and see how far you get. However innocent you claim the expression to be.
And here I thought "chaps in the wood pile" were ******s...

:p

If you don't agree with me, try going around the USA referring to "chaps in the wood pile" and see how far you get. However innocent you claim the expression to be.
I don't understand how you can relate this to Goodes i.e. booing one person vs using (always intentioned) derogatory terms for a whole race. Surely an individualised case doesn't get the same treatment.

I'm with you AA.
I must be missing something here.

People are booing Goodes because they are racist, yet no other indigenous players are being booed (to my knowledge). Weird.

I really don't like how some people out there purport to know what i'm thinking when i enter the ground.

No one purports to know what you are thinking when you enter the ground. You might (like me) boo opposition players as a mark of respect for their talent and skill.

But people who hear you booing are entitled to reach their own conclusions as to why you are booing, even if they don't know. And you now know that people will think (no doubt wrongly) that your booing of Goodes is an expression of your overt racism and not (as it probably is) an expression of your admiration for his talent as a footballer.

Since you know people will misconstrue your booing in ways you do not intend, surely you need to communicate your pleasure at his skill as a footballer in a way that is not open to misunderstanding. If you do communicate your pleasure at his skill in a way that you know will be misunderstood as racist, how is that different from being actually, you know, racist?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how you can relate this to Goodes i.e. booing one person vs using (always intentioned) derogatory terms for a whole race. Surely an individualised case doesn't get the same treatment.

My point is that the N word used in the given expression is NOT intended by me to refer to a person, let alone a person of a particular race. Like your booing of Goodes, my use of the N word will not be seen innocently. Get it now?

I always thought the Booing of Adam Goodes intensified once the statement "You CAN'T boo him" came out.

A "You said no, so we are going to do it more to spite you" thing.

When I posted the photo of Lewis Jetta I did so to praise the action of one team mate in defence of another team mate. I'm old school and I admire qualities like respect, loyalty and love and Jetta's pose was a powerful example of these admirable qualities. When I look at the photo the defiance on Jetta's face is similar to Nicky Winmar at Victoria Park all those years ago. Racism is subtle these days. Only fools are openly racist. The booing is perfect camouflage for the racists.

As for those who claim to boo Goodes for a different reason I am astonished. An icon of the game. A remarkably gifted footballer. Well spoken, caring and courageous. He deserves our respect and admiration, not derision.

Save the booing for those who deserve it like the Prime Minister of Australia who has a lot to answer for.

When I posted the photo of Lewis Jetta I did so to praise the action of one team mate in defence of another team mate. I'm old school and I admire qualities like respect, loyalty and love and Jetta's pose was a powerful example of these admirable qualities. When I look at the photo the defiance on Jetta's face is similar to Nicky Winmar at Victoria Park all those years ago. Racism is subtle these days. Only fools are openly racist. The booing is perfect camouflage for the racists.

As for those who claim to boo Goodes for a different reason I am astonished. An icon of the game. A remarkably gifted footballer. Well spoken, caring and courageous. He deserves our respect and admiration, not derision.

Save the booing for those who deserve it like the Prime Minister of Australia who has a lot to answer for.
Perfectly said RMH.

Young kid at the game sees dad and his mates just booihe black guy. Good enough then.......
No no no no Shan. You can't understand that some sectors of the population have been downtrodden and treated like crap for millennium? Booing the average Joe or Joan has nowhere near the impact of booing a person from an historically and culturally disadvantaged background.
Millennium? 1000 years? For that sort of historically and culturally disadvantage you may want to lay a wreath at the feet of our Irish players. Read edward Rutherfurds 'Dublin' or Frank Delaneys 'Ireland'

Last edited:
People know booing Adam Goodes vocally is a deeply unsettling and unpleasant experience for him, but continue to do so, in a sadistic and perverse way to see him upset/wound up by it.

Now technically it isn't racism, but continuing to boo Goodes because you know it will upset and hurt him, well that's bullying in my book.

Put yourself in his shoes, imagine if people in your workplace continued to harass and bully you because of your racial, religious or orientation background, and they kept doing it knowing how much it upsets you. Amplify that by 10000 in the Goodes case.

A bit of compassion and common sense wouldn't go astray ..

View attachment 157021View attachment 157023

Cameras should pan the ground and take stills of people booing and put them up on the big screen..................that would shut them up pretty quick.
Unfortunately Harks, the majority of people that boo Goodes are booing because the person next to them are booing. Sad

I remember going to a Blues vs Pies game.. The scum boo'd Juddy every time he went near it. I onced asked a feral supporter why he/she kept booing Juddy.. The toothless man/woman (honestly, I wasn't sure) just shrugged its shoulders and smiled... Yes I moved to standing room for the remainder of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back