Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sceptical. Sounds like a neatly engineered solution to make everything go away.

If Cheney had actually said it as a joke, no way he waits this long to come out and say so. As you said, careers on the line and all that - if it was a genuine joke you'd clear it up the next day and there's no real harm done.

Grammar is almost irrelevant. An evolving set of rules largely governed by its use or its non-use.

Interesting point of view - about which the majority would no doubt agree. However, good luck reading fifth century Attic Greek without a deep understanding of grammar. So what you say ...indeed ...so what..

Interesting point of view - about which the majority would no doubt agree. However, good luck reading fifth century Attic Greek without a deep understanding of grammar. So what you say ...indeed ...so what..

I can't say I have as yet found a need for fifth century Greek dialects.

Translations of Plutarch generally suffice for the ignoramuses among us.

(Not ignorami as this us grammatically incorrect if we consider its Latin root).

The point is that grammar persists merely as a an adjunct and even abstract aid to communicating meaning. Adherence to its edicts Is in no way a measure of intelligence, which IIRC was the point of the "smartest supporters" survey thingo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Not ignorami as this us grammatically incorrect if we consider its Latin root).

The point is that grammar persists merely as a an adjunct and even abstract aid to communicating meaning. Adherence to its edicts Is in no way a measure of intelligence, which IIRC was the point of the "smartest supporters" survey thingo.

Ain't nothing wrong with a bit of punctuation and spelling.

......or in today's parlance......:thumbsu::thumbsu::drunk::oops::confused::cool:

Whatever in the blue **** that means.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meaning is contextual and without grammar - there is less context, poorer communication and we are all poorer for it - whether we know it or not. The less grammar - the harder it is to share context. Maybe the digital age is changing the rules...anyway as far as this topic goes for mione anyway - Ochlocracy doesn't work any better than Tyranny - both forms are cut from the same cloth.

I don't sit at the extreme of either position. But you're right language and meaning is contextual. As long as that meaning is conveyed adequately does grammar really matter on an Internet forum?

It was the measure used by some "journalist" to find what he termed the "smartest" club supporters.
The standards of what passes for journalism these days has fallen so far, anyone who manages to avoid being overly bias, obviously incompetent or clearly plagarising the work of others is held up as a beacon of brilliance. Not sure a journalist has any credibility when measuring anything other than how many times they can rewrite a story and pretend it is something new or different.

The standards of what passes for journalism these days has fallen so far, anyone who manages to avoid being overly bias, obviously incompetent or clearly plagarising the work of others is held up as a beacon of brilliance. Not sure a journalist has any credibility when measuring anything other than how many times they can rewrite a story and pretend it is something new or different.
One of the major problems is there is just too many of them.

Is anybody able to tell me what father-sons we have coming over the next six years? I'm aware of Jack Silvagni's brother (who will be a gun) but who else?

Last night was a fantastic draft for us and what made it a little bit sweeter was watching The Filth crap the bed with their picks

I hope Walker surrenders #1 to Jack to keep this proud tradition alive.

If he does my 13 week old son will have a long sleeve #1 jumper by xmas

Isn't it a great feeling being drafted by Essendon :

12243015_737139889752095_4172378310933786553_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back