General AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One of those 3 or one of Mathieson, Parish or Tucker would be very nice indeed. Any two of those 6 would be freaking incredible!

But to get two means losing Steven, one would think. Is that a fair trade off?

If we end up with one of T/M/P (or Schache or Mathieson or Burton or Balic) and one of Sheil/Treloar then you'd say fair enough.

But if we took 2 picks to the draft at the cost of our best midfielder... Im not sure Im ok with that.

But to get two means losing Steven, one would think. Is that a fair trade off?

If we end up with one of T/M/P (or Schache or Mathieson or Burton or Balic) and one of Sheil/Treloar then you'd say fair enough.

But if we took 2 picks to the draft at the cost of our best midfielder... Im not sure Im ok with that.
I was thinking more if we happened to get one of them in the PSD, although I see it as only a very remote likelihood.

Libba - ACL
Hrovat - punctured lung

That's a shocking result for the Bulldogs

More so considering they lost Griffen, Cooney, Higgins and Gia over the summer.

Bonts and Macrae better get ready for some insane pressure.

Good to see the interchange having a real positive effect on injuries.. seeing as were only in first week of preseason..
What an absolute joke the sub rule. Interchange rules are...
But yeah.. Dont listen to the coaches or the players... What do they know.
But thats what happens when you have arrogant prehistoric muppets like KB running the rules committee.

Libba - ACL
Hrovat - punctured lung

That's a shocking result for the Bulldogs
From the reading I've been doing, Hrovat's recovery time depends on what caused the pneumothorax, and its severity, but we're talking a couple of months at the least, and more if surgery ends up being required.

For a young bloke, one that thrives on the in-and-under stuff, and only a little fella to boot, I'd be bloody cautious if I was him. If there's broken ribs along with it, I'd be iffy about substantially returning this season, at least at AFL level.

Good to see the interchange having a real positive effect on injuries.. seeing as were only in first week of preseason..
But thats what happens when you have arrogant prehistoric muppets like KB running the rules committee.
I may not agree with the interchange/sub rule but thats got nothing to do with a couple of blokes doing their knees early in the season.

It happens every year because they arent match fit yet.

Not sure how you can say that as there are 5 on the interchange and not 3 and 2 subs not 1. And if yesterdays match is standard the coming on and off was loosely (read not at all) policed. Players were interchanging with players who were still 10-15 metres on the ground and both teams had 19 on for brief periods during change overs. Based on that you can't blame lack of interchange options and flexibility as being to blame in any respect.

I may not agree with the interchange/sub rule but thats got nothing to do with a couple of blokes doing their knees early in the season.

It happens every year because they arent match fit yet.

Is there a correlation between ACL's and the start of the season? If so you'd hope that someone can figure out why it's happening and then let clubs alter their training to stop it from happening as much.

Does Libba's injury switch the spoon betting?
I would probably have the Dogs as favourites right now.
Me too, that is a massive blow to them and particularly to their midfield, which was already looking like being the youngest and least experienced in the league. It could be like GWS's of two years ago now, largely relying on Macrae at 20yo and Bontempelli at 19yo, Hrovat and Hunter at 21yo, along with Dahlhaus and then the more solid types like Wallis and Koby Stevens.

They came in from $5 last night to $3.75 by this afternoon to come 18th. We were about $1.80 before yesterday I think, but are now out to $2.10. Unless we get a disastrous injury like that or a heap of significant ones again, I don't see them finishing higher than us and would certainly be confident of beating them the two times we play them.

Shocking blow for Libba though, feel bad for him. He's good mates with one of my nephews and he speaks highly of him, reckons he is very humble with regards to his footy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our old Tom Lynch was knocked out & stretchered off after clipping his head on new Tribunal scape-goat Jack Ziebell's hip

Nasty
Ziebell - 2(2) weeks.

Is there a correlation between ACL's and the start of the season? If so you'd hope that someone can figure out why it's happening and then let clubs alter their training to stop it from happening as much.
Honestly Im not really sure why or what kind of studies there are out there. I personaly put it down more to lacking match fitness and those muscles/tendons/ligaments being unused to the stresses that are put on them by games.

Me too, that is a massive blow to them and particularly to their midfield, which was already looking like being the youngest and least experienced in the league. It could be like GWS's of two years ago now, largely relying on Macrae at 20yo and Bontempelli at 19yo, Hrovat and Hunter at 21yo, along with Dahlhaus and then the more solid types like Wallis and Koby Stevens.

They came in from $5 last night to $3.75 by this afternoon to come 18th. We were about $1.80 before yesterday I think, but are now out to $2.10. Unless we get a disastrous injury like that or a heap of significant ones again, I don't see them finishing higher than us and would certainly be confident of beating them the two times we play them.

Shocking blow for Libba though, feel bad for him. He's good mates with one of my nephews and he speaks highly of him, reckons he is very humble with regards to his footy.

I suspect Stringer will be moved into the midfield earlier than the brass would've wanted. But a huge loss, indeed...

I suspect Stringer will be moved into the midfield earlier than the brass would've wanted. But a huge loss, indeed...
I'm not sure Stringer is a mid. He is like Membery an undersized KPF. His skills are awesome but I can't see him being more value in the midfield. It seems like a call for anyone who is under height for their role. Realistically Kobe Stevens or a similar advanced but lesser player gets to go in to the centre. Mc Crae is a gun still and Bontempelli is heading that way but the Dogs are a couple of years away IMO. They rolled the dice last year and cut free the oldies and paid massive overs for Boyd. It might be genius in 4 years but by the end of this season I think Bevo will be earning his money the hard way.

I'm not sure Stringer is a mid. He is like Membery an undersized KPF. His skills are awesome but I can't see him being more value in the midfield. It seems like a call for anyone who is under height for their role. Realistically Kobe Stevens or a similar advanced but lesser player gets to go in to the centre. Mc Crae is a gun still and Bontempelli is heading that way but the Dogs are a couple of years away IMO. They rolled the dice last year and cut free the oldies and paid massive overs for Boyd. It might be genius in 4 years but by the end of this season I think Bevo will be earning his money the hard way.

How tall is stringer?

How tall is stringer?
192cm it looks like but that was the knock on him besides the broken leg. He was set to be possibly the best of his draft year but snapped his leg I think in the overseas tour from memory. He was brilliantly skilled and kicked a big bag on return from the leg but if the nasty break didn't put the new franchises and Dees off picking him the lack of height for a guy who played as a key forward didn't help.

192cm it looks like but that was the knock on him besides the broken leg. He was set to be possibly the best of his draft year but snapped his leg I think in the overseas tour from memory. He was brilliantly skilled and kicked a big bag on return from the leg but if the nasty break didn't put the new franchises and Dees off picking him the lack of height for a guy who played as a key forward didn't help.

Throughout juniors prior to his horrid leg injury - he dominated as a midfielder. IMO, if he was healthy throughout he would've continued development as a powerful inside midfielder. Prior to the injury he was your prototypical modern power mid - ala Jobe, but with more explosiveness.

He played as a FF because his running gait was so heavily affected by the injury, and he had to rebuild his tank after the layoff.

He's easily got the skills, strength, speed and ground-level ability to play in the midfield. I was desperately hoping we traded up to get him or hoping he slid to one of the 12/13 picks we had. Oozes potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back