General AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see Malthouse taking a baseball bat to Carlton on the way out the door. He just threw Trigg under a bus over Eddie Betts. Said he was already agreed to terms at Adelaide 18 months before the FA period. Trigg has some serious dodgy form so perfect fit at the Blues.

Pretty obvious if the Board has held an emergency meeting today off the back of Mick's comments this morning.

You can tell Mick has forced their hand as he doesn't want another 2 weeks of this.

Also FWIW the media have hyped this up a hell of a lot. You can see/hear the media baying for blood literally. I'm just making an observation though - I know a lot of it is to do with Mick's lack of a relationship with the media.

Happy its Carlton in the news and not us. Its a different and great to see that we are only in the news for good things and for positive things....long may that continue!

Typical ******* Carlton if they have. Things arent going so well? SACK THE COACH!!! Worked so well after Ratten!

Malthouse got sold a lemon, and is partly to blame for his decision to join them... just to stick it up Eddie.

Carlton are still living in the 80's and still believe their own media. They are a nothing club int he modern era... a complete rabble.

we talk about doing a Bradbury, well they are doing a St Kilda of old... as soon as it gets too hard they sack the coach.

Like him or hate him, Malthouse hasn't lasted this long by accident. If the Blues had a clue, they would allow him to refresh the list rather than having to work with the spuds recruited from another era.

But they won't because they still believe that because they are Carlton, all they have to do throw money at the problem and everyone will come running.

Given the state of their list, you'd have to be desperate to become their new coach.

How the mighty have fallen...

❤️ Matt Finnis

How foolish do the board at carlton look right now? Said for months now that mick would coach out the year and that was that, crumbled under media pressure, said they'd revaluate after a fortnight and then had their hand forced by Malthouse.

They're an absolute shambles at the moment.

It's funny the board are sacking Malthouse. Anyone with half a brain can see the board is the problem.

Would you say that about summers though?

He sat on our board during Lyon exit, Watters appointment and sacking...

I think Mark LG needs to be given time.

I think Kernahan and Swann made the wrong decision.

I'd actually hand it over to someone like Harvey, not sold he is the type to see it through, but could develop kids during a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let the Carlton fire sale begin. Perhaps the AFL should implement the trading of football department members, and incorporate aspects of the NBA, in trading of future draft picks, and the ability to trade players against their will.

Something along the lines of the entire Carlton board, plus their first and second rounders for the next three decades to Brisbane, for the schematics of Crazy Vossy's master contingency plan and a half eaten packet of salt and vinegar chips that have been sitting on the roof of the Gabba ever since an angry Fitzroy fan threw them up there in protest of their first game as a merged club.

Seriously, though, I have some form of sympathy for their plight.

Everyone points to the likes of St Kilda and the Bulldogs, in how a rebuild should be conducted. Now, that's a fair thing to say, as I believe that both of these clubs are executing it more or less perfectly (with questionable decisions here and there, e.g locking up a large chunk of salary on Boyd). But, these clubs benefited from a period of strong performances, followed by a large decline; this made it easy to identify when it was game over, and some decisions had to be made.
Conversely, clubs like Carlton never had a sustained level of top 4 finishes, or grand final appearances. Humans are always optimistic creatures, so they were always stuck in the mindset of "next year", and any minor peaks or troughs in performances were effectively ignored as part of this fixation on an imminent rise. Because of this, they never had such a clear drop off, so not only have they missed the starting point of when they should have taken action to bottom out with the greatest chance of recovery, but they actively dug themselves into more trouble with everything surrounding the Malthouse move. Hell, one could argue that this is just a repeat of their decision to put everything on landing Judd.
Yes, they brought it on themselves, through arrogance no less, and are not exactly a modest club that deserves sympathy, but still; this situation could happen to any team, our own included, (albeit now through the same mechanisms) so some kind of acknowledgement of this needs to be made.

Having said that; Lol Carlton.

Seriously, though, I have some form of sympathy for their plight.

Everyone points to the likes of St Kilda and the Bulldogs, in how a rebuild should be conducted. Now, that's a fair thing to say, as I believe that both of these clubs are executing it more or less perfectly (with questionable decisions here and there, e.g locking up a large chunk of salary on Boyd). But, these clubs benefited from a period of strong performances, followed by a large decline; this made it easy to identify when it was game over, and some decisions had to be made.
Conversely, clubs like Carlton never had a sustained level of top 4 finishes, or grand final appearances. Humans are always optimistic creatures, so they were always stuck in the mindset of "next year", and any minor peaks or troughs in performances were effectively ignored as part of this fixation on an imminent rise. Because of this, they never had such a clear drop off, so not only have they missed the starting point of when they should have taken action to bottom out with the greatest chance of recovery, but they actively dug themselves into more trouble with everything surrounding the Malthouse move. Hell, one could argue that this is just a repeat of their decision to put everything on landing Judd.
Yes, they brought it on themselves, through arrogance no less, and are not exactly a modest club that deserves sympathy, but still; this situation could happen to any team, our own included, (albeit now through the same mechanisms) so some kind of acknowledgement of this needs to be made.

Having said that; Lol Carlton.

There are some crazy myths surrounding Carlton. They are still blaming the draft sanctions they were given for cheating....that was in 2002, thirteen years ago. They would have received Goddard. He's nearly retirement age. They blame the Judd deal that wasn't long after that and since then they have had multiple high picks including a few number ones. They are a pathetic old boys club who are still stuck in an age where the cheque book won out over good management. they let Fev, Betts, Kennedy, Waite, Robinson and Garlett go for not much return and wonder why they are no good. They then buy up Daisy who is playing on a wrecked ankle. Just stupid management.

Given the state of their list, you'd have to be desperate to become their new coach.

I'd do it.

Guaranteed 400k a year for 8 weeks work. :p

Would you say that about summers though?

He sat on our board during Lyon exit, Watters appointment and sacking...

I think Mark LG needs to be given time.

I think Kernahan and Swann made the wrong decision.

with respect, our board has moved int he right direction is not hampered by old club logic.

we have weeded out the problems and put the right people in place. Summers went to Gellong / Cook / Costa and picked their brains on how to do it right.

Carlton just believe they are right all the time. Arrogant to the extreme.

Careful the door doesnt hit you on the arse on your way out you miserable old prick Micky
tumblr_m4zc0hMyHr1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Attachments

• beatles_wave.gif
    beatles_wave.gif
    909.2 KB · Views: 2
Well, they did get rid of Betts and brought in Daisy thomas

As much as I despise Mick Malthouse (his actions in the 'Milney incident' and subsequent handling by him and McGuire still makes my blood boil), it is a bit sad to see a legend of the game (and yes, with his record, he is just that) go in such an undignified manner. He (again) thought he is bigger than his club and the entire AFL, really, and essentially asked to be sacked, but there must have been ways to handle this with more decency - even at Carlton !?

True:thumbsu:
Never said he couldnt coach. He was a good coach IMO.
But still a miserable old prick who i wont miss.
Disagree, it's becoming to mundane in the AFL, everyone has become a robot with all their media training. People with personality are constantly slammed, mick just one of the examples. There is literally no point watching interviews anymore, all the answers have been rehearsed a million times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back