Oppo Camp 2014 General AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Leigh doesn't want to coach?

Is pretty thin though.. Brendan Bolton would have to be in with a good chance unless they go for experience like Mark Williams.
Can't say I blame him if he doesn't. Considering the high turnover of head coaches, why would he leave his nice, safe job at North to be thrown to the wolves?

What a disgraceful club the bulldogs are for allowing the players dictate the direction of where the club should be heading.

I would be embarrassed
Oh Really, lucky none of that stuff has happened at Stkilda over the last few years ;)

What a disgraceful club the bulldogs are for allowing the players dictate the direction of where the club should be heading.

I would be embarrassed

thats the easy view to form...but looking at it and thinking about it for a while makes you re-think it

how does someone like griffen go from being a much loved player, someone who loves his club, quiet, humble and uncomfortable with attention & leadership, to someone who takes the drastic step of leaving his club in a way that will plaster him across all forms of media and have his own supporters turn against him? why did he effectively give up on his club?

i hear people keep saying the senior players are to blame, these are the same senior players that have much loved names in there like murphy, boyd, morris. all three are highly respected and not known to cause trouble, in fact many would say they are passive if anything. yet somehow they are to blame for their coach getting the sack...

somethings a miss here

but then you look at the words of mccartney and the president...seems to be that the cause of this whole issue is how mccartney himself performed. even in mccartneys own words he stated that he went too hard, didnt communicate properly (he went into more detail on the ABC but i'll leave it be) and had very serious faults that needed to be corrected. the problem was it was too little too late, so being the stand up bloke he is, which i do believe he is, he took responsibility, read the tea leaves for next year and walked. by his own words next year would have been worse and he would have been walking on egg shells, the slightest mis-step could have re-opened the wound and it all would have started again and then some

i think what we are seeing here is a bit like what we saw with voss, ratten etc. whilst they were coaching everyone wanted them to get the ass because they were terrible, then when it happened, suddenly they were the worlds greatest coach and hard done by. seems people want to cut them down, when they do get cut down, they are satisfied and suddenly feel sorry for them

i could go into my own opinion on the whole thing, but its probably too long winded

Clarko was unpopular when first at Hawks. Crawf wanted out but was convinced to stay.
Bomber Thompson was on thin ice at the Cats. Club had a crisis meeting to decide wether he stayed or got the heave ho.
Both Coaches held on to.
So far 5 flags between the 2 coaches.
Sometimes you have to stay calm and ride it out.
The least successful clubs seem to have the most coaches. Coincidence ????

Clarko was unpopular when first at Hawks. Crawf wanted out but was convinced to stay.
Bomber Thompson was on thin ice at the Cats. Club had a crisis meeting to decide wether he stayed or got the heave ho.
Both Coaches held on to.
So far 5 flags between the 2 coaches.
Sometimes you have to stay calm and ride it out.
The least successful clubs seem to have the most coaches. Coincidence ????

its a popular catch cry used when sacking coaches.... doesnt mean it applies to mccartney. i mean you could probably counter the argument with someone like voss, who went through a review and came out the other end with his job. it was only when they thought they had a shot at roos did they then move him on. didnt laidely get through a review at north and keep his job? likewise ratten, only for them to identify the need for richo?

i'd say in the case of hawthorn and geelong the common element was a strong board. they got their coach right and got the management of it right

this bulldogs board seems to have mismanaged this whole thing and i'd say there are bigger problems. i dont trust their decision on mccartney and i bet the majority of this problem is how they wanted the playing group to be coached and the messages that were sent. explains why given the problems reported with mccartney, they stuck fat with him and only buckled when the players started to raise the red flag/had to deal with the event of losing their captain

its a popular catch cry used when sacking coaches.... doesnt mean it applies to mccartney. i mean you could probably counter the argument with someone like voss, who went through a review and came out the other end with his job. it was only when they thought they had a shot at roos did they then move him on. didnt laidely get through a review at north and keep his job? likewise ratten, only for them to identify the need for richo?

i'd say in the case of hawthorn and geelong the common element was a strong board. they got their coach right and got the management of it right

this bulldogs board seems to have mismanaged this whole thing and i'd say there are bigger problems. i dont trust their decision on mccartney and i bet the majority of this problem is how they wanted the playing group to be coached and the messages that were sent. explains why given the problems reported with mccartney, they stuck fat with him and only buckled when the players started to raise the red flag/had to deal with the event of losing their captain

Maybe it's the Bulldogs players voiced there concern by it fell on deaf ears? or that the club appears to have stagnated a little bit.

How much different is it from when we sacked Watters (although none of our players did what Griffen did).

Maybe it's the Bulldogs players voiced there concern by it fell on deaf ears? or that the club appears to have stagnated a little bit.

How much different is it from when we sacked Watters (although none of our players did what Griffen did).

agree mate, by all accounts this crap has been an on going problem for a while now (just read the doggies board). to the point griffen fronted the board, pretty miffed by the sounds of it. after that mccartney was being performance managed, call it what you like, but they were teaching him how to be a senior coach...bit late for a 3rd year coach.

then griffen goes on leave... then suddenly the news of lonergan going to WB hits and shortly after that he's pulled the pin

now, i'm no doggies expert, but if i was griffen and i've just seen my mates shipped off one by one because they are rebuilding and need picks or retired because they need to play the kids. i'd be pretty pissed if i just found out they were trying to bring in a 30 lonergan on a 3 year deal worth 1.5m (500k a season), i'd be questioning wtf is going on, given its in complete contrast to the list management strategy he would have been given the run down on. the pick used to get lonergan would be around the same for what they'd get for cooney. its like us shipping dal santo off, a long time servant of the football club and bringing in mcpharlin from freo at 500k a season for the next 3 years...people would rightfully be livid

then when you add that mccartney brought in his geelong boys in graham, king, mooney, corey and wait for it...scarlett. you'd have to wonder if lonergan was absolutely necessary, or if its just another job for one his boys and a way of trying to extend his power base to the leadership group

and by all accounts those geelong boys enjoyed telling everyone and sundry at whitten oval how successful they were and what they needed to do, especially the senior players at the doggies. it doesnt matter where you work, the most offensive thing someone can do when starting out in a new workplace, is to tell everyone how bad they are and how succesfull you were at your previous employer and what they did. i mean if you are going to do it, atleast use some tact, not blast it all over the airways so blatantly

sounds like a s**t place to work IMO

sounds like griffen and co were being force fed shite for a while and eventually he just had enough

in regards to Inspector Gadget going around for another yr , am i the only one who senses a bit of 'spin doctoring' going on from the Bombers.
Fletch has had a great career and i actually met him at the Races yrs ago and he seemed like a nice bloke.
But id say his form & injury issues over the last 2 yrs ,especially this yr doesnt warrant the bloke going around next yr at the age of 40.
I think the Bombers are just doing it to have a feel good moment for their supporters in what will most likely be a whole world of hurt next season.

Just on Griffen, the choice of club says something, too. He's a good enough player to go to any club in that 4-10 range of the ladder. He chose the GIANTS: a vacuous, plastic club, in a geographic cesspool, that is still languishing on the bottom of the ladder, with their highly vaunted kids screaming to leave. And Griff said, "I hate you SO much, Bulldogs, I would rather play for THEM than play for YOU!"

That is about the biggest statement of hatred you could make in AFL, I'd say. Whatever his reasons, however right or wrong they may be, he has become very, VERY angry at the Western Bulldogs Football Club.

in regards to Inspector Gadget going around for another yr , am i the only one who senses a bit of 'spin doctoring' going on from the Bombers.
Fletch has had a great career and i actually met him at the Races yrs ago and he seemed like a nice bloke.
But id say his form & injury issues over the last 2 yrs ,especially this yr doesnt warrant the bloke going around next yr at the age of 40.
I think the Bombers are just doing it to have a feel good moment for their supporters in what will most likely be a whole world of hurt next season.

So they said, BJ what will we do if Fletch can't play. And in his deadpan voice BJ says "you could do worse than James Gwilt".

Way off topic saints fans but im new to this. I still dont know the reason Scott Watters got fired? What exactly was the reason? Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way off topic saints fans but im new to this. I still dont know the reason Scott Watters got fired? What exactly was the reason? Thanks
Was at odds with the administration and senior players. Was a Malthouse style "my way only" coach which didnt work with our current administration.

He seems a bit of an unusual choice to me. To be honest I'm still not really sure why they sacked McKenna.
Makes total sense, given all the flags he's won. o_O

He seems a bit of an unusual choice to me. To be honest I'm still not really sure why they sacked McKenna.

wasnt up to it. should listen to some of the interviews, one he pretty much said "i'm a backman and backline coach, when i was at the pies, they made me the midfield coach, i didnt know how to play or coach midfielders so i got buckley and burns to coach them for me"

when i heard that on the drive in to the footy, i almost drove off the road. its in the abc grandstand interview when he referred to mismanaging ablett

If he has enough talent, there's no reason he can't make a run through the midfield.
He's 2 cm taller than Brent Harvey, and given his age not a hell of a lot lighter.
And he'll help Adam, Leigh, and Tom ( and Ahmed if we get him ) feel big about themselves. :D
Same height as Jarryd Blair.

Always rated boomer, in some ways better than our Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back