General Asian Cup Discussion Thread.

Who do you think will win the 2015 Asian Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tournament off to a great start, plenty of goals. Some crackers, some from hilarious goalkeeping but one things been certain is that all teams have shown they've come to attack. Very minimal sitting back and playing for draws you can often see at a World Cup.

Even Qatar yesterday, really opened up the game vs UAE, sure they copped 4! But it was entertaining. Man, AbdulRahman from UAE looks something else doesnt, apparently had a trial at Man City and they wanted him but couldnt get a work permit. Absolutely dictated the game

I'm being selfish in wanting to think it reflects well on us as a sporting country.

The crowds do definitely!

Asian football traditionally, for internationals, draws pretty smallish crowds, just look at when Aus played in Bahrain, Qatar etc.

Obviously Japan, Korea etc have great crowds tho.

But for us to have 10k in Canberra for a game between countries that aren't known well in public is great. Would be just another thing on the resume to gain future big tournaments in any sport too..

So the Challenge Cup that Palestine won to enter the comp... Anyone know what would replace it?

The challenge cup remains. It's a tournament for all the s**t house teams in Asia that are uncompetitive with the winner qualifying for the Asian Cup proper. India qualified last time.

The challenge cup remains. It's a tournament for all the s**t house teams in Asia that are uncompetitive with the winner qualifying for the Asian Cup proper. India qualified last time.
Ah. I must have read something wrong again.

Would take a lot to convince AFC to let another one in I imagine.

Surely it's a goer purely because they are a competitive team and the AFC would presumably take Oceania's half place giving an extra spot.

Personally I cannot see the point in the OFC anymore. It is completely irrelevant and a waste of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it's a goer purely because they are a competitive team and the AFC would presumably take Oceania's half place giving an extra spot.

Personally I cannot see the point in the OFC anymore. It is completely irrelevant and a waste of time.
Do they really want another non-Asian country within their ranks? While what NZ provide to the organisation won't be anywhere near Australia's contributions, would it still be enough?

Do they really want another non-Asian country within their ranks? While what NZ provide to the organisation won't be anywhere near Australia's contributions, would it still be enough?

That's a tough question to ask. On us joining there was supposedly resistance from the middle eastern nations which soon quickly disappeared. NZ can definitely improve AFC as a whole; whether it is enough to be admitted is another story.

Just me or is Melbourne getting screwed with finals games we have. Not having at least a Semi Final is mind blowing.

Already explained multiple times on this thread/board, the NSW government basically funded the tournament - the Vic government put in minimal funding. We were lucky to get the opening game even.

Just me or is Melbourne getting screwed with finals games we have. Not having at least a Semi Final is mind blowing.

Now you know what its like for the parts of the country that aren't Vic, NSW or Qld when it comes to National team events.

How would that format even work? Has to be a power of 2 and 6 is not. Unless 4 groups of 6?

6 groups of 4. An extra knock out round of 16 with the top 2 going through from all 6 groups and the 4 best 3rd placed teams. This was the format used in the World Cup up until 1994.

So Australia game tonight is on at 10pm on the ABC...........so in other words, you can't see live games unless you have Fox. If they want people to have an interest (particularly in games not involving Australia), restricting the live games to pay TV is just going to damage that further
Every finals matches featuring the Socceroos will be broadcast live by the ABC, every other final on delay.

For the curious

2015AsianCup.png

Back