General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That course was all kinds of weird.

I liked it, but just so......odd.
Fifteen 90 degree corners in the last kilometer made for chaos. Technical as, the sprint bunch was reduced to the first 3-4 on the road.

Kind of liked it too. Would be very fun in one of the first week TdF flat stages. Probably too dangerous though.

A few Conti teams have better squads than Orica, hope Jerry Ryan's money doesn't run out before the youngsters they have high hopes for enter the prime of their careers. Hard to attract sponsors with signings like this.

Very nice selection of riders shaping up for it. Should be a ripper.
Astana with Landa, Aru and Nibali will be very hard to beat. Unless they all start chasing each other down lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vuelta TTT course is causing a stir, guess nobody will complain about riding on cobbles now.

cm2ebg3wgaa8o5s_670.jpg

Absolutely ridiculous.

Get stuffed pro cyclists. Interesting/dangerous course = more people watching = more exposure for sponsors = more money for riders.

Why is Paris-Roubaix so popular? Riding cobbles is hard and greatly increases the risk of crashing which makes it more exciting.
Why do so many people hate Team Sky?? Along with other reasons, they are so systematic and robotic in how they ride it makes the sport boring to watch.

I think it is a spectacular and incredibly unique course. Riders get paid to ride their bike fast and have no issues hammering downhill at over 100km/hr, so to say they are justified in complaining about safety is a load of crap. I'm happy to turn a blind eye to all the doping but in return the pros have to entertain me.

Have you ever tried to ride road bike tyres on a sandy surface? And if yes, then try and do that as a team at 50km/h. Yeah nah, correct call has been made.

Have you ever tried to ride road bike tyres on a sandy surface? And if yes, then try and do that as a team at 50km/h. Yeah nah, correct call has been made.

If the guys picked for the race don't wanna do it, I bet I can find 200 other high-level cyclists somewhere in the world who would be willing to race one of the biggest races in the world hard. What a joke from Sky, completely tanked and 1:11 down on BMC. Must be the crappy Pinarellos they ride, definitely do not want to buy a bike that loses so much time over such a short distance.

If the guys picked for the race don't wanna do it, I bet I can find 200 other high-level cyclists somewhere in the world who would be willing to race one of the biggest races in the world hard. What a joke from Sky, completely tanked and 1:11 down on BMC. Must be the crappy Pinarellos they ride, definitely do not want to buy a bike that loses so much time over such a short distance.
That isn't a good argument in my books. You could apply it to any sport and it sounds ridiculous.

Safety for riders is paramount, especially in cycling which has a high injury rate as it is.

That isn't a good argument in my books. You could apply it to any sport and it sounds ridiculous.

Safety for riders is paramount, especially in cycling which has a high injury rate as it is.

Unfortunately for the riders, race routes are going to become increasingly 'different' as race organizers look to keep the sport fresh and interesting. I think it is fair to say the last three or four years of the Tour de France have been pretty boring (particularly for the GC and green jersey) so it is inevitable that more elements will be introduced.

I don't disagree for a second that safety should be at the top of the list for race organizers. But professional riders have to accept some level of risk in their work as the dangerous nature of the sport is part of the appeal of watching.

Unfortunately for the riders, race routes are going to become increasingly 'different' as race organizers look to keep the sport fresh and interesting. I think it is fair to say the last three or four years of the Tour de France have been pretty boring (particularly for the GC and green jersey) so it is inevitable that more elements will be introduced.

Different? Possibly. Look at the Giro and Vuelta trying to differentiate themselves recently. Mid-level races changing up their routes to induce more attractive racing. That kind of development is positive.

This kind of different is silly. I'm not particularly well versed in the technical aspects of this issue (I don't ride), so I listen to what the riders are saying. They have been almost universally against it.

I would also disagree with you that the TdF has been pretty boring over the past 3-4 years. I enjoy almost every GT.

I don't disagree for a second that safety should be at the top of the list for race organizers. But professional riders have to accept some level of risk in their work as the dangerous nature of the sport is part of the appeal of watching.

The risk is inherent, you are right. Exciting =/= dangerous in every situation. Riding over sand is not exciting to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back