General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The risk is inherent, you are right. Exciting =/= dangerous in every situation. Riding over sand is not exciting to me.

I think riding over dirt is fascinating. From what I have seen, the 'dirt' track they used was fine for riding, even on a TT bike. The pros go over much worse dirt roads in races like the Strade Bianche.

The GP track at Albert Park should bring in a gravel section from now on. Just to make it exciting for the fans...

Or they could go watch rally cars like cycling fans could watch cyclocross or MTB if thats the type of event they like.

The GP track at Albert Park should bring in a gravel section from now on. Just to make it exciting for the fans...

Or they could go watch rally cars like cycling fans could watch cyclocross or MTB if thats the type of event they like.

Ok point taken. They wanted a beach stage and they didn't account for the lack of paving.

Some of the biggest 'road' races in the world go over rough surfaces and have been doing so for decades:

StradeBiancheBMC.jpg

160027_PIC452186661-640.jpg

Amets Txurruka is confirmed going to OGE. Has been riding with Caja Rural the last few years. They wanted Pello Bilbao also from Caja Rural to come with him but he had 1 year left on his contract I think. Looks like Neil Stephens is looking at Basque riders considering his history. If that's the case, they really should have gone after Intxausti as well.
Good pick up IMO, capable climber to assist Yates in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he was here last year with Richie for a lazy spin around the Tassie criterium but this is awesome.

http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/News/froome-zooms-to-2016-jayco-herald-sun-tour

Reigning Tour de France champion Chris Froome will lead Team Sky at the 2016 Jayco Herald Sun Tour.
In a coup for Victorian cycling, the two-time winner of the world’s biggest bike race will become the first Tour de France champion to compete in Australia’s oldest stage race.

Didn't know where to post this but just starting to get into cycling.. anyone know of any tracks/trails around Melbourne worthy of a long ride?

That was a truly epic edition of Paris-Roubaix. Great to see the weather finally playing a role, after a number of dry and dusty editions over recent years. While it didn't rain during the race, rain over previous days ensured that there were mud & puddles by the side of the road, occasionally encroaching onto the road itself.

Have to agree that the highlight was Sagan's bunny hop, to clear the fallen bike of Spartacus. The commentators thought think he's the only rider in the world who could have avoided falling in those circumstances. I'm inclined to agree with them. His bike handling skills are just out of this world.

Congratulations to Hayman. In winning this race, he's become just the 4th Australian to win one of cycling's "monuments" - joining Stuart O'Grady, Matt Goss and Simon Gerrans.

Watching that final lap around the velodrome, I was just waiting for one of the others to launch a sprint and overtake him... but it never happened. After such a long race, they were all completely knackered and had no energy left to sprint. It was just a slow motion drag race to the line, with Hayman winning by a bike length.

Thought Boonen was incredibly gracious in defeat. His body language towards Hayman after the race was very positive and congratulatory. You could easily understand him being upset, given that a 5th win would have put him alone at the top of the Paris-Roubaix winners list. Spartacus showed a fair bit of sour grapes after losing the earlier classics this season. Boonen displayed none of that - he was genuinely happy for Hayman. Great sportsmanship.

Well. Paris-Roubaix was nothing short of mind blowing. No way anyone could have predicted that result especially when it came to a sprint in the velodrome. Memorable win and just desserts for a rider who has made a career of working for others.
actually, Hayman does have strength and he has speed, he just never mixed it up in the bunch sprints.

in the 2006 Paris Nice, he got some podiums in field sprints, I think Freire may have been injured, or their other sprinter out, and Graeme Brown not on Nice or Tirenno. And Aaron Kemps of ONCE/LibertineSeguros also was flying.

Tho he did not win, in some of those stages, his terminal velocity was the fastest, and this was not merely because he was coming from behind. It was not cos he had a slipstream. Indeed, the winner might have gone early as a gambit which was tactical, and he was not at the maximum terminal velocity cos he was judging a long sprint. in this case, maximum terminal velocity was not a pleonasm tautology [sic]

And like Mcewen was intimating, no, said overtly, a sprint after 260 kms, is NOT a bunch sprint. When the guys who latched onto Boonen and Sep Vanmarcke and MH, when they did not come onto their back with momentum, and jump them immediately coming around them with this momentum and speed, I knew the winner would be one of the front two from 250 metres. It is a long way, there is not slipstream benefit when they jump from 45kmph to 60kmph, it is just about strength and if you can hold it.

And Hayman got to the inside when he came over Vanmarcke? was that the rider he came around, or was it Tommeke. No, it was Tommeke he came around. But Tommeke from 250 metres jumping into the slipstream for 50 metres, he would have always backed himself to win.

Stannard was a former teams pursuiter aroung 2006ish for the British Cycling team. So, I knew he also had 1500 watts in a sprint finish.

All those guys are fast. Hayman played it best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back