General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else catch the Aussie Road Championships on SBS yesterday?

Great afternoon's viewing and a race going down to the wire.
Yeah was very enjoyable. The last four left on the road were all the big names and the ending delivered. Gerrans simply too strong in the sprint.

imo, my not humble opinion.

Gerrans has gone past mcewen, evans, ogrady, rogers, anderson, goss, as australias best ever cyclist.

the guy is a master
Not sure how you can say he's gone past Evans. TdF winner and World Champion, finished top-3 in all 3 Grand Tours.. I think it's probably safe to say that Evans is head & shoulders above any other contender for our greatest ever cyclist.

Where Gerrans fits in the pantheon of those fighting for 2nd place is another matter. He's now a 2x National Champion and the first Australian to win Milan San-Remo. He was also the first Australian to win a stage in all 3 Grand Tours. He's worn the TdF yellow jersey, but that's not exactly unique in Australian history any more. I can see his credentials for being 2nd best, but he's still behind Evans by the length of the Flemington straight.

Not sure how you can say he's gone past Evans. TdF winner and World Champion, finished top-3 in all 3 Grand Tours.. I think it's probably safe to say that Evans is head & shoulders above any other contender for our greatest ever cyclist.

Where Gerrans fits in the pantheon of those fighting for 2nd place is another matter. He's now a 2x National Champion and the first Australian to win Milan San-Remo. He was also the first Australian to win a stage in all 3 Grand Tours. He's worn the TdF yellow jersey, but that's not exactly unique in Australian history any more. I can see his credentials for being 2nd best, but he's still behind Evans by the length of the Flemington straight.

i was offering a devils advocate.

gossie won the Via Roma or race of falling leaves the year before on highroad or colombia or htc or whatever iteration they had as marque

A fan went and visited some of the Paris-Roubaix roads here. Pretty insane.

20140111-130427.jpg

That was one of the sections I rode last year, it's mental, nothing can you prepare you for it.

I went and watched on Mt Bunningyong, was a great atmosphere!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ever wondered what the sponsors of the pro teams do for business? http://inrng.com/2014/01/pro-team-sponsors-what-do-they-do/

Some interesting ones (IMO):

Astana: not a company but a city and a nation. Astana is the capital city of Kazakhstan and the team is funded by the state to promote the country, a bid to counter the “Borat” image. They also fund motorsport and more. The jersey features the names of various state-owned companies.

BMC Racing: a brand of Swiss bicycles. The team is registered in the US but funded by the Swiss francs of Andy Rihs, a billionaire cycling enthusiast who owns BMC and other bike brands. Registering the team in the US helps the team to tap this giant, lucrative market whilst trading on the image of Swiss quality. Some of Rihs’s other assets feature on the jersey like his La Coquillade hotel.

FDJ.fr: is short for La Française des Jeux or “French Games” and is the French state lottery with regular draws, scratchcards and more.

Katusha: is the abbreviated version of Ekaterina or Catherine in English. It’s the name of a famous Soviet wartime folk song in Russia which still gets patriotic hearts stirring today. In English you’d call them Team Kathy but there’s nothing diminutive about the sponsors: Gazprom and Itera are rival energy giants and Rostec is a Russian state agency designed to fund and control various technology and defence companies making this a team funded from the heart of the Kremlin. Curiously the list of co-sponsors includes an Italian cheesemaker and a French winegrower, suggesting gourmet tastes in the team management.

Lotto – Belisol: Lotto is the Belgian state lottery and like FDJ in France, has the monopoly in Belgium. Founded in 1934 to raise funds for the sick in the Belgian Congo, the company has continuously sponsored a pro team since 1985 although at times it has been the number two name, for example Omega Pharma-Lotto. It also sponsors the Standard Liège football team. Belisol make aluminium and wooden windows and doors and the firm has branched out into domestic renewable energy products like solar energy panels.

Anyone know what has happened with regards to Sammy Sanchez? Has he been offered a contract? Seems crazy if no one has.
Fell out of contract when Euskatel went belly up at the end of last year. Nobody has signed him up to date, though he's hopeful of landing a new contract soon.

Lampre Merida has the worst looking kit of all time, not to mention the bikes...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back