Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys suck for not giving me more information on the equipment Jab mentioned!

In all seriousness though - just balancing on it? I've seen people do their arm exercises whilst using it...

You guys suck for not giving me more information on the equipment Jab mentioned!

In all seriousness though - just balancing on it? I've seen people do their arm exercises whilst using it...

yes, ball facing up, stand on it. then balance on dodgy leg. when you get more familiar, squat on dodgy leg. the shaking of your leg will be natural as it tries to strengthen and carry your weight.

i myself had myriad ankle problems/sprains, and this helped. mind you ankles will never be teh same.

I can't find the injury thread.

I just sprained my ankle so lots of RICE, but I was wondering what are some exercises I should be looking at doing to strengthen the area and avoid it happening again?

Is something basic like this enough - or do I have to go to a physio?

Check out Kelly Starrett

What are people's thoughts re braces? Or any kind of support when playing sport?

I have heard such mixed opinions on it from different physios. Can't really make up my mind, I've done so much crap to my ankle, and I've always had knee problems. I'm starting netball again this year, I don't want to re-injure myself but on one hand I get told to support it, on the other hand they want me to keep strengthening it by itself.

cptkirk

What are people's thoughts re braces? Or any kind of support when playing sport?

I have heard such mixed opinions on it from different physios. Can't really make up my mind, I've done so much crap to my ankle, and I've always had knee problems. I'm starting netball again this year, I don't want to re-injure myself but on one hand I get told to support it, on the other hand they want me to keep strengthening it by itself.

cptkirk

do whatever is comfortable. if you arent confident without the brace, then wear it.

if i may id like to give you an example from my own experiences.

i, like you, have injured my ankle many times. i was stubborn and kept coming back too early without physio intervention, or any medical advice at all. i think it was because the team i was playing in was on the cusp of success and i didnt want to miss any part of it. and that in itself is a lesson i think, because i ended up missing more than half of the season, and watching from the sidelines caused some internal grief.

eventually i sought physio help. i purchased a lace up ankle brace after trying an elastic one. it felt tight and great. couldnt move my ankle at all. and gave me some confidence and extra padding as i launched into tackle after tackle.

keep doing exercises to keep strengthening the ankle joint. it cant hurt. but also dont neglect the rest of your body. its amazing what training every part can do for an injured bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cptkirk
Braces are good if you can't tape it, or as an alternative. Every afl player has both ankles taped before training and games. Some people by into the 'it doesn't allow you to strengthen your ankle', which is bull s**t as you are only going to re-roll it and re-rupture those ligaments. So as long as you are doing ankle rehab on the side to regain strength, balance and proprioception, then wear the brace for sure.

In terms of exercises i'd start with some inversion and eversion with a rsistance band, and also working on calf raises. You want to make sure you have good ankle mobility of a knee to wall stretch. This should be even on both sides and if not, you need to work on your knee to wall (dorsiflexion).

Balance and proprioception is the big one here and MUST be retrained to re strengthen your ligaments and surrounding musculature. I'd start with some simple single leg balance, progressing to single leg balance and a desired sporting activity (eg balancing and kicking soccer ball against wall with other foot, or balance and throwing netball to partner). This then needs to be progressed to something more challenging, such as on an unstable surface.

My favourite high level ankle exercise is single leg skipping as it combines everything - balance, power, strength and allows you to practice your landing technique and allows you to retrain those movement patterns.

Loved my ankle braces whilst playing competitive tennis a few years ago.

A lot of tour players also love them (see Hewitt), definitely recommend. Won't fix serious structural damage obv.

I've done a few bang up jobs on my ankles over the years of playing netball and basketball, and personally I feel a lot more comfortable playing with strapped ankles or wearing my brace, I've played a few times without it and felt a bit tentative playing, not going as hard as usual. Any other exercise you do such as running/gym work will be helping with strengthening it, playing netball will just give you an opportunity to re-injure it.

So here's my story. Was running about 12.50 3kms early Oct. Periodized my training to repeated sprints after that, but tested 3km in early Dec at 12.15. Program was a full body split in gym 3 Mon wed fri and run tues thurs sat. Oct I was doing squats and deads, by early Dec I was one legged deads and lunges. Low reps, fatigue wasn't too bad but obviously built up. Kept training to a week before Xmas. Then I'd done only three very easy sessions from Dec 18 until yesterday and put on almost 2kg fat, diet had blown as well. Gym yesterday. 3km today. Got it done in 11.55. Over two weeks off and fat gain, yet a better time. Wish I put a heart rate monitor on but I swear I tried no harder than usual, so it's odd I got a PB. Although there's better ways to go about it, I think this really shows the benefit of tapering! Just a random thought, not much surprises me anymore in training but this did so thought I would share.

I had a similar experience. Was running 5k three or four times a week and was pretty much hovering around the 18.40 mark. Went to London for a couple of weeks, and really didn't do anything there except eat and drink etc.

Went for my first run back, and I was really dreading it. Ended up running 18.15, and felt a million bucks afterwards.

Those previous few posts about having time off has put me in good spirits. After being in the best shape of my life, I had my wedding at the end of November and then honeymoon straight after that. Besides 1 session while on the honeymoon, I haven't been to the gym since then.

While I still have the pretty much the same physique (lost a little bit of muscle mass though), I just haven't had any motivation. Been working hard at work and been building a deck at home. After that, I have no energy at all for the gym. Really want to get back into it, but it's just getting out the door.

But after reading those posts, looks like once I get back after 6 weeks off I should be hitting PB's all over the place. Awesome! :D

Time for our morning neck stretches.
1012398_798672726825325_1811936617_n.jpg

I always feel awkward asking a random guy to spot me when squatting. I'm too afraid he'll think I'm trying to hit on him. So I often skip squats or use a barbell I can lift over my head. Unfortunately - can squat more than 15, but can't raise the bar over my head elegantly enough. #femaleproblems

Remove this Banner Ad

Back