Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's an option. Other alternative is not to wear gloves on those exercises and just make sure you take care of your hands outside lifting. Pullups can be done without causing calluses, it's just more of a technique thing (which I empathise with; I much prefer holding it in a manner which is actually really bad for your hands :oops:)

Or use hand wraps, MMA/Grappling style. Personally I don't use gloves or wraps, but I'm not a lifter.

Any ideas - my gloves are starting to slip especially during chin-ups and it's digging into me during pull downs. I have the slip on type - maybe switch to strap up gloves?
Do they have Velcro at the back to tighten them? I use something similar, started after I tore the skin on my hand when doing deadlifts (PS - tearing skin during exercise sucks big time).

No velcro, will go to Rebel today to try out some other ones and give no gloves a go tonight. Thanks guys :)

Do you guys like to do biceps and triceps in the same session or break them up between chest and shoulders.

Do you guys like to do biceps and triceps in the same session or break them up between chest and shoulders.

ive heard so many theories.

personally as instructed by my former PT, separate sessions.

however, as tonight its my first sesh for some 2 weeks i will be an all over work out.

which brings me to my question....

after a lengthy lay off, do you suggest an all over work out? or get back into routine where focus is on back/bi, chest/tri?

Cheers for the feedback. I might shake things up and break the arm sessions up. My only thing against a lay off and a full workout is, do you have the energy to finish it ? I would think you would die out, near the end. Personally, I would ease back into it. Im no PT though.....

Cheers for the feedback. I might shake things up and break the arm sessions up. My only thing against a lay off and a full workout is, do you have the energy to finish it ? I would think you would die out, near the end. Personally, I would ease back into it. Im no PT though.....

i guess when training there almost is no right or wrong

both-jpg.30745

At the moment I do chest/tris, back/bis, delts/legs, then one more day of just compounds (squats or deads, hi-rep bodyweight chins superset with bench and/or grip push ups).

I tend to only do 1-2 exercises for tris /bis/delts on any given as they are activated with compounds anyway.

I don't really do arms.

My split atm is Chest-Back-Rest-Legs-Shoulders (Rest can be moved) and then arms/abs/misc if I decide to go down another day. I'll do some ab work after legs because it doesn't interfere with shoulders too, but they don't have a dedicated day. I've found pull-ups/rows on back day and heavy benching on chest day has been enough for arms.

Occasional supplementation hasn't hurt though.

Depends on a couple of things, do you feel like your arms are lacking? If so give them a stand alone session to get in more volume. Secondly how does your split look like with a stand alone arms session? If you are cramming it in to your split at the sacrifice of the leg/chest/back works outs then include them with chest/back work outs respectively. Secondly, are you backing up arms after chest or back day.

Personally i liked doing chest/tris and back/bis as separate work outs. At the moment i work my program around footy, not training for footy on Tuesdays due to a sore adductor. My split looks like;

Sunday - back/bis
Monday - chest/tris
Tuesday - legs/calves/shoulders
Wednesday - back/bis
Thursday - chest/tris
Friday - shoulders/traps

which brings me to my question....

after a lengthy lay off, do you suggest an all over work out? or get back into routine where focus is on back/bi, chest/tri?

Depends how long the lay off is, anything more than 4 weeks i would advise starting off with 2-3 full body work outs a week. The shorter the lay off the quicker you can progress back into body split routines, vice versa longer the lay off longer you should stay in full body workout.

Depends how long the lay off is, anything more than 4 weeks i would advise starting off with 2-3 full body work outs a week. The shorter the lay off the quicker you can progress back into body split routines, vice versa longer the lay off longer you should stay in full body workout.

thanks for the advice mate.

2 weeks off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thanks for the advice mate.

2 weeks off.

With only two weeks off, depends what you prefer to do; either straight back into a split (maybe just less weight and sets than you were previously doing) or mix it up with a full body work out for a couple of weeks.

With only two weeks off, depends what you prefer to do; either straight back into a split (maybe just less weight and sets than you were previously doing) or mix it up with a full body work out for a couple of weeks.

i guess there's no right or wrong in that respect.

somedays i lighten the load and concentrate on technique. or that's what i tell other patrons!

Personally i liked doing chest/tris and back/bis as separate work outs. At the moment i work my program around footy, not training for footy on Tuesdays due to a sore adductor. My split looks like;

Sunday - back/bis
Monday - chest/tris
Tuesday - legs/calves/shoulders
Wednesday - back/bis
Thursday - chest/tris
Friday - shoulders/traps

Awesome. Thats pretty much my split too.

Except Im still deciding whether to do legs on sundays (longer recovery until game day, but bad DOMS for tues training) or tuesdays (feel DOMS for thurs and minor residual soreness too close to gameday)
Im liking the idea of doing my legs on sundays as sat night I usually have a cheat meal/drink beer so a massive leg day helps get rid of my carb hangover, of course if I cop a corkie, pull up real sore or after game day I obviously cant do legs the next day.

Also, I've heard its important to have at least 1 full day of rest?
Thats why wednesday I keep free and lump shoulders with chest/tris.

Awesome. Thats pretty much my split too.

Except Im still deciding whether to do legs on sundays (longer recovery until game day, but bad DOMS for tues training) or tuesdays (feel DOMS for thurs and minor residual soreness too close to gameday)
Im liking the idea of doing my legs on sundays as sat night I usually have a cheat meal/drink beer so a massive leg day helps get rid of my carb hangover, of course if I cop a corkie, pull up real sore or after game day I obviously cant do legs the next day.

Also, I've heard its important to have at least 1 full day of rest?
Thats why wednesday I keep free and lump shoulders with chest/tris.

Personally i wouldn't do legs on Sunday after playing Saturday, it just really narrows your recovery time. Even when i was doing football training on Tuesday night i still hit legs on Tuesday. A side story, my previous job i worked from 7am to 4pm, so gave me time to hit legs on Tuesday afternoon before training, now in my knew job i work 8am-5pm, so i train in the mornings. Maybe try back work out on A sunday its the next big muscle group behind legs.

For me i believe in hitting legs on the same day as training, its not ideal but the best of a 'bad' situation. If you train legs Monday or Wednesday either side of training for footy on Tuesday you are limiting your recovery time. Ideally training legs in the morning, then training Tuesday afternoon/night for footy is the best case scenario. In saying that and i will touch on over training later, because you use your legs so much in general life you can give them a hammering.

Tuesday's legs session is a lot more volume and weight, squats, deads, leg press etc. Thursday is less volume and weight, leg extensions, hack squat machine, flat leg press (less hamstring dominant) as i feel there is where i really get my DOMS. And may only be 3 sets for each exercises by 8-12 reps.

I too, have a cheat meal Saturday night post footy and generally eat what i want. My food intake on saturday morning before the game is minimal, really just enough to feel full as i don't like exercising or playing footy on a full stomach of food. In the off season, definitely have your cheat meal Saturday night followed by legs the next day!

As for over training, I'm not a big believer in it as long as you train smart. What do i mean by this? Not hitting chest one day after the next etc, if do the correct split and leave 48 hours between working each body part you can train 7 days a week if you like. And as long as you supplement correctly too. For me i have pretty good recovery, and as long as i feel going to the gym is not a drain or a chore i will work out 6/7 days a week. but if you feel like a day off a week helps your recovery and stay focused then go for it. My number 1 rule for anything gym/exercise. Do what you enjoy!

As for over training, I'm not a big believer in it as long as you train smart. What do i mean by this? Not hitting chest one day after the next etc, if do the correct split and leave 48 hours between working each body part you can train 7 days a week if you like. And as long as you supplement correctly too. For me i have pretty good recovery, and as long as i feel going to the gym is not a drain or a chore i will work out 6/7 days a week. but if you feel like a day off a week helps your recovery and stay focused then go for it. My number 1 rule for anything gym/exercise. Do what you enjoy!
Lyle McDonald compiled a bunch of recovery reports a few years ago and concluded twice every 8 days was the "sweet spot" for body part training for most people, but doesn't fit into the 7 day week most people schedule their life by.

I start gym either this weekend or next week, I'm a pretty big gym newbie (Been counting calories and exercising for a while but nothing in gym) any general tips? Thanks in advance :)

(1) enjoy yourself
(2) dont be intimidated by gym junkies
(3) appreciate women working out respectfully
(4) start with weights you can lift well and proper. don't get sucked into lifting super duper weights just cause others can
(5) get a personal trainer if need be

(1) enjoy yourself
(2) dont be intimidated by gym junkies
(3) appreciate women working out respectfully
(4) start with weights you can lift well and proper. don't get sucked into lifting super duper weights just cause others can
(5) get a personal trainer if need be

On point 5, Unfortunately a lot of personal trainers are idiots who really have no idea. So if you're going to get a personal trainer, make sure you do some background first and get a decent one, otherwise you're really just wasting your time.

For example, it really annoys me when I see a personal trainer with a 25 year old, overweight but otherwise fit person, and they've got them doing isolation exercises like tricep pulldowns and bicep curls that are going to achieve nothing.

I had a friend recently do a course who failed an assignment, because in their program they had the person doing squats, and the institution doesn't want their trainers telling people to squat as its too dangerous?

On point 5, Unfortunately a lot of personal trainers are idiots who really have no idea. So if you're going to get a personal trainer, make sure you do some background first and get a decent one, otherwise you're really just wasting your time.

For example, it really annoys me when I see a personal trainer with a 25 year old, overweight but otherwise fit person, and they've got them doing isolation exercises like tricep pulldowns and bicep curls that are going to achieve nothing.

I had a friend recently do a course who failed an assignment, because in their program they had the person doing squats, and the institution doesn't want their trainers telling people to squat as its too dangerous?

You get the good, the bad and the ugly in any industry. PT's seem to get a lot of hate on here, if someone wants to use a personal trainer hopefully get a recommendation of a friend or suss out the PT's in your gym for a couple of weeks.

I started doing my PT course but after doing all the work for cert 3 the nutrition guidelines was ridiculous and i could imagine my thoughts on training and nutrition would be frowned upon even though it's hardly radical or hardcore.

FYI, the Australian guidelines for the average male consuming 2100-2200 calories is 64 grams of protein per day, and an allowance of up 90g of sugar within 310 grams of carbohydrates! LOL.

personal trainers are good IMO. it helps with motivation and allows you to simply do and not think too much

But what if what you're doing is almost a waste of time? Good personal trainers are great, but the bad ones are just a waste of money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back