General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering recently, when was our last home game against Essendon? Melbourne vs Essendon seems to get a decent crowd, why are we always playing away to them?

2010. When in doubt as to why the AFL is doing or not doing something, think money and it suddenly will make sense to you.

Really good article about the mindset of the team

http://www.mymp.net.au/display-article-2013/A-pattern-of-self-Deestruction/71062

When things so south for the Dees, they really go south. In the five matches in which Melbourne has led in the final term yet lost, it has been outscored by a combined total of 16.3 (99) to 0.2 (2).

Forget for a minute the remarkable accuracy of their opposition during those periods – James Aish’s set shot that just scraped the inside of the goalpost is the only miss with the other two behinds being rushed – but its the positions the Dees are allowing the scores from that is the issue.

They are ranked 17th for allowing goals from the corridor (only Sydney is ranked lower) and of the 16 goals they have conceded after taking a late lead, just three have been from outside that area with just one coming from greater than 35 metres.

It would appear that Roosy's message about mental scarring is more prevelant than thought

Really good article about the mindset of the team

http://www.mymp.net.au/display-article-2013/A-pattern-of-self-Deestruction/71062

When things so south for the Dees, they really go south. In the five matches in which Melbourne has led in the final term yet lost, it has been outscored by a combined total of 16.3 (99) to 0.2 (2).

Forget for a minute the remarkable accuracy of their opposition during those periods – James Aish’s set shot that just scraped the inside of the goalpost is the only miss with the other two behinds being rushed – but its the positions the Dees are allowing the scores from that is the issue.

They are ranked 17th for allowing goals from the corridor (only Sydney is ranked lower) and of the 16 goals they have conceded after taking a late lead, just three have been from outside that area with just one coming from greater than 35 metres.

It would appear that Roosy's message about mental scarring is more prevelant than thought
Was about to post that, sobering stuff.

Was about to post that, sobering stuff.

But in many ways it's also comforting to think that we weren't THAT far away from winning 9 games this season

Combine that with the fact that we haven't win any games against the fellow bottom 5 and we could drastically improve next year

But in many ways it's also comforting to think that we weren't THAT far away from winning 9 games this season

Combine that with the fact that we haven't win any games against the fellow bottom 5 and we could drastically improve next year
I did think the same thing. At least we are in that position.

I think those stats both flatter and damn us to an extent. During the hawks game a few times I thought that a tad more polish with execution would have made the game a much greater contest not just being kept at arms length.

I did think the same thing. At least we are in that position.

I think those stats both flatter and damn us to an extent. During the hawks game a few times I thought that a tad more polish with execution would have made the game a much greater contest not just being kept at arms length.

Yeah I agree, but at the same time it felt like the Hawks just did enough to keep us at arms length and they would just cruise for 15 minutes because they knew we didnt possess the scoring power to threaten them

To me that says we just completely stop working (goals through the corridor) and other teams know it's going to happen. I guess the good thing is it should be fixable. Where is the scarring coming from though?

Frawley (won't be a problem soon)
Jones (surely not), Garland (maybe. Has had a forgettable year albeit injury interrupted, but I don't see him as a mentally scarred player)
Grimes (i won't say anything about him so as not to upset anyone)
Watts (most definitely prime candidate for scarring)
Jetta (probably his best season so no)
Jordie (maybe but he's only in the team to tackle people, hardly a game winner in the final quarter but maybe that's the problem)
Russian (um, I dunno, all i see is Drago so maybe)

Are there others that have been prominent* this season from the Era That Scarred? Can't think of any off the top of my head. Out of those, 2 are our captains, one his having his best, most consistent season, one is an AA fullback playing forward and one was out for half the season. That leaves a tagger, an ageing but still useful ruckman and Watts who has played some great footy and some crap footy.

Frawley will be gone next year and Russian most likely playing no 2 to Maximum soon enough. That leaves Jordie and Watts as the scar bearers. Is Jordie likely to have a spot in the side most trade period? Maybe getting rid of Watts will rid us of The Scar?

* For us

To me that says we just completely stop working (goals through the corridor) and other teams know it's going to happen. I guess the good thing is it should be fixable. Where is the scarring coming from though?

Frawley (won't be a problem soon)
Jones (surely not), Garland (maybe. Has had a forgettable year albeit injury interrupted, but I don't see him as a mentally scarred player)
Grimes (i won't say anything about him so as not to upset anyone)
Watts (most definitely prime candidate for scarring)
Jetta (probably his best season so no)
Jordie (maybe but he's only in the team to tackle people, hardly a game winner in the final quarter but maybe that's the problem)
Russian (um, I dunno, all i see is Drago so maybe)

Are there others that have been prominent* this season from the Era That Scarred? Can't think of any off the top of my head. Out of those, 2 are our captains, one his having his best, most consistent season, one is an AA fullback playing forward and one was out for half the season. That leaves a tagger, an ageing but still useful ruckman and Watts who has played some great footy and some crap footy.

Frawley will be gone next year and Russian most likely playing no 2 to Maximum soon enough. That leaves Jordie and Watts as the scar bearers. Is Jordie likely to have a spot in the side most trade period? Maybe getting rid of Watts will rid us of The Scar?

* For us

It's a good point , unless they think the attitude has been passed down to some of the draftees as well

I think a large part of it is our limited midfield.

If we just had a couple more quality midfielders in that 22-26 year old bracket, we would run games out a lot better.

Losing Clark and Hogan for the year didn't help either - having your main, long-ball targets in the 4th quarter becomes pretty helpful.

Some interesting stats from this article - http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-08-14/stats-a-fact-dees-have-come-a-long-way

MARGINS

Losses by 1-25 points: 2013 (3), 2014 (7)

Losses by 26-59 points: 2013 (5), 2014 (5)

Losses by 60-plus points: 2013 (12), 2014 (3)

Contested possessions differential

2013: -23.0/game (18th)

2014: -3.7/game (16th)

Uncontested possessions differential

2013: -53.9/game (18th)

2014: -7.8/game (11th)

Disposal differential

2013: -76.1/game (18th)

2014: -11.2/game (12th)

Centre-bounce clearance differential

2013: -4.7/game (18th)

2014: -0.2/game (11th)

OTHER KEY STATISTICS

Quarters won/lost

2013 to R20: 16 won/59 lost

2014 to date: 28 won/46 lost (1 drawn)

Points against

2013: 122.3/game (18th)

2014: 84.9/game (11th)

Points against totals

2013 to R20: 2331

2014 to date: 1614

Average losing margins

2013: 64

2014: 33

Marks

Seventh in AFL for marks

Contested marks

Fifth in AFL

Forcing opponents to kick (least handballs per game against)

First in AFL

Hit outs per game (+75 this season)

Fourth in AFL

Players used in 2014

37 players (equal 5th in AFL)

Average attendance this year

30,867 (highest since 2011)

That really shows a huge improvement, probably not helped by a tough draw in the second half of the year (so obviously every starts to jump on our players and team again).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting stats from this article - http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-08-14/stats-a-fact-dees-have-come-a-long-way

That really shows a huge improvement, probably not helped by a tough draw in the second half of the year (so obviously every starts to jump on our players and team again).

If we had been an 8th placed team he would have taken us into the top 4
Roosy is a coaching genius, whether people like his methods or not his results are nothing short of awesome

Anyone watch AFL 360 last night?

David King provided his thoughts on how to lift the MFC out of the bottom of the table, and I was surprised to hear that he felt we need to hit the draft, and that if it was any other coach (than Roos), there would be massive question marks with our season.

When pressed by Gerard Whately to 'be bold' he specifically suggested trading out Watts, Grimes, Trengove and Toumpas to fetch us a total of 5 picks inside the top 20 - and that if Roos was going to leave a legacy at Melbourne, it would need to be done at this draft.

I was surprised he suggested this avenue for us. Although I'm amicable towards trading any or pick for some instant impact (looking at you Wattsy), I think what we actually need is some top-end midfield talent (draft picks - or trade of draft picks), and some ready-to-play/mature age depth trade of draft picks or free agency next year).

David King provided his thoughts on how to lift the MFC out of the bottom of the table, and I was surprised to hear that he felt we need to hit the draft, and that if it was any other coach (than Roos), there would be massive question marks with our season.

When pressed by Gerard Whately to 'be bold' he specifically suggested trading out Watts, Grimes, Trengove and Toumpas to fetch us a total of 5 picks inside the top 20 - and that if Roos was going to leave a legacy at Melbourne, it would need to be done at this draft.

I was surprised he suggested this avenue for us. Although I'm amicable towards trading any or pick for some instant impact (looking at you Wattsy), I think what we actually need is some top-end midfield talent (draft picks - or trade of draft picks), and some ready-to-play/mature age depth trade of draft picks or free agency next year).

The question mark really is can we turn Watts, Grimes, Trenners and Toump into A graders
If we cant then we would be better off trading them except Grimes who can atleast fill a gap in the defence and can beat his opponent

What I would love to know is what else could any other coach have done with this list of players
We are ******* horrible no matter which way you look at it

The question mark really is can we turn Watts, Grimes, Trenners and Toump into A graders
If we cant then we would be better off trading them except Grimes who can atleast fill a gap in the defence and can beat his opponent

I'm not sure about that, what's the guarantee that the picks from 15-20 become A-Graders? Grimes and Trenners we know are solid players right now, Wattsy is an A-Grader on his day but can also be a C-Grader on his bad days.

3 Picks between 15-20 have never played AFL before, if we're going to trade them - Roos doesn't build through the draft only, what Kingy suggested is unrealistic.

I could understand us trading for players such as Tom Mitchell, Dylan Shiel etc. but 'cleaning out' for more draft picks is surely not the way we want to go again?

Roos has made it pretty clear (and I gate with him) that our ambition now, is to move up the ladder and make ourselves better.

If we go after draft picks again, we will enjoy the bottom 3 for another few years to come.

Maybe we'd grab a bunch of top 15-20 picks for our mid-range guys who've still got some credits then go shopping for some better ready made guys from other clubs? Would take some very efficient wheeling and dealing and I'm not sure there'd be much to choose from but just throwing the idea out there.

Problem is, only our better mid range players would fetch us those picks (Grimes, Trengove, Watts etc), and we just can't afford to trade out our only decent players in the 22-26 year old bracket - or we'll be back to the Bailey/Neeld eras.

I'm happy to trade out Watts or our top picks if it helps us get a good quality mid in that bracket. And happy to use our top picks on kids.

Would not be happy if we traded several best 22 players for picks though!

Couldn't think of a worse idea than to get a heap of teens into the team. I'm happy to keep both high picks assuming we get compo but adding a bunch more to a team that needs established talent above all else?

I was surprised David King ranked so highly in the herald sun/fox footys fan survey for best tactical/analysis type of commentator (think he was first) - the man is a dead set moron. And a douche to boot!

iWKad22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back