General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't really have "the right idea". Got a problem with something or someone? Work it out. Don't walk out like a drama queen.

I meant the right idea re: social awareness. Pushing s**t up hill in the footy world though.

I meant the right idea re: social awareness. Pushing s**t up hill in the footy world though.

Meh. People preaching social awareness tend to be holier than thou campaigners.

Meh. People preaching social awareness tend to be holier than thou campaigners.

Haha fair enough. Put me down as holier than thou campaigner than because if I saw that s**t in my workplace I wouldn't stand for it either.

Haha fair enough. Put me down as holier than thou campaigner than because if I saw that s**t in my workplace I wouldn't stand for it either.

Don't get a job in the country then unless you want to spend 98% of your time trying to re-educate the local populace.

Not really. Unless there's more to it, to spectacularly drop your bundle over a Mardi Gras quip is ridiculous. Could get up in front of the playing group and explain to them why he thinks that sort of thing isn't appropriate. Or he could chuck his toys everywhere and walk out on the club that gave him the chance to play football for a living and be handsomely rewarded for the privilege. **** that guy.
I think he's tried that before, and it hasn't worked.

The guy was abused as a child, and clearly is suffering from that along with an identity crisis.

He's not a bad bloke, but he blows things out of proportion so football may not be the right industry.

I think he's tried that before, and it hasn't worked.

The guy was abused as a child, and clearly is suffering from that along with an identity crisis.

He's not a bad bloke, but he blows things out of proportion so football may not be the right industry.

He comes across as a bad bloke, or schizophrenic. I could understand him walking out if he overheard half the playing group talking about hitting the town to lynch some ******s and stomp on homo skulls, but quitting over "off to the Mardi Gras"? A rough equivalent of that would be giving notice because the kitchenette stocks decaf instead of proper coffee.

He comes across as a bad bloke, or schizophrenic. I could understand him walking out if he overheard half the playing group talking about hitting the town to lynch some ******s and stomp on homo skulls, but quitting over "off to the Mardi Gras"? A rough equivalent of that would be giving notice because the kitchenette stocks decaf instead of proper coffee.
That's why I don't really want him at Melbourne, because he seems to fly off the handle at minor issues.

That's why I don't really want him at Melbourne, because he seems to fly off the handle at minor issues.

He'll be right for us then. We don't have minor issues; only seriously big problems.

I honestly don't get why everyone is crapping on both Robinson and Lumumba (* that feels weird)...

Lumumba destroyed us on QBD if you'll recall - he provides both pace and reasonable kicking off the HBF, both of which we are screaming out for.

Robinson provides a bit of mongrel and a bit of experience too. I don't mind if he doesn't crack the side, but it's sure as hell better depth than having Strauss sitting at Casey. He'll put pressure on Bail (and vice versa) for what I envisage would be a very similar role.

I honestly don't get why everyone is crapping on both Robinson and Lumumba (**** that feels weird)...
They are both whipping boys for their respected clubs and I don't know too many people who would miss either player at their club in '15.

Plus both players have a habit of doing some good things then follow it up with some god awful coach killing plays. I've seen Robinson give away ridiculously obvious free kicks then 50 meter penalties because of brain snaps almost on a weekly basis. Lumumba is good at taking on the game and providing a bit of pace, but his lack of awareness catches him out constantly and costs important turnovers.

As Rookies I would be excited as i'd feel Roos could coach these things out of them but both blokes have played 100+ games and would be regarded as B players at best. This and the various off the field behavior that's been well documented.

Fair enough - I certainly see the point. I do think there is a difference between a footy club change room environment, and a corporate office though.

Here are a couple of posts I made on another site, which I think kind of sets out my take on it for you wowlace;

If someone had have written 'what a couple of *fruitbaskets' on the poster of Pendles and Beams, then I could totally understand the reaction.

But I was thinking, if there actually was a gay member of staff at Collingwood, he/she would probably be the most likely candidates for the tongue in cheek comment of 'off to the mardi gras boys?'.

If he was offended himself, that's fine, and making his point and having the poster removed shoul have been enough - but he went on a full blown crusade and then targeted management as well.

Has form, and he's a pest in my opinion.

This one was in response to a comment implying that Brock McLean (AFL gay ambassador) wouldn't have taken the same approach as Lumumba, and that Brock has been very effective at drawing attention to homophobia without alienating people;

Exactly. Brock is attached to the issue because his sister is gay. He's got a genuine agenda, and like most people who actually have a g au relative or friend, he will know the difference between homophobia, innocent mistakes, and a good laugh.

I actually feel like lumumba is making things worse for gay people in this instance, rather than better, and has almost made the issue about himself, rather than about improving awareness relating to homophobia.

Fair enough - I certainly see the point. I do think there is a difference between a footy club change room environment, and a corporate office though.

Here are a couple of posts I made on another site, which I think kind of sets out my take on it for you wowlace;

This one was in response to a comment implying that Brock McLean (AFL gay ambassador) wouldn't have taken the same approach as Lumumba, and that Brock has been very effective at drawing attention to homophobia without alienating people;

Yeah, that's why I said earlier I think Harry has the right idea, you can question the way he handles things for sure. The footy industry is a lost cause IMHO. Frankly I am surprised at some of the posts in here regarding it. Seems there are quite a few good ol' boys sticking fat, telling everyone to harden up. If you don't see it their way you must be some kind of poonsie social justice warrior or something.

Look I am gonna straight up say this. This board (MFC) has slowly gone to s**t. If you go against the status quo you get shouted at and abused by those who post a lot. A few years ago when I joined, this place was a lot more open. The tone in here is thinly veiled anger covered up by joke posts about how s**t the club is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't get why everyone is crapping on both Robinson and Lumumba (**** that feels weird)...

Lumumba destroyed us on QBD if you'll recall - he provides both pace and reasonable kicking off the HBF, both of which we are screaming out for.

Robinson provides a bit of mongrel and a bit of experience too. I don't mind if he doesn't crack the side, but it's sure as hell better depth than having Strauss sitting at Casey. He'll put pressure on Bail (and vice versa) for what I envisage would be a very similar role.
Couldn't agree more. We whinge and moan about players like Bail, Terlich, M.Jones getting regular games then turn our nose up when upgrades become available. I'd be a bit worried about Robinson's track record off the field but as players both of these guys would be great gets.

Throw in Malceski and I'd even be slightly optimistic about climbing the ladder in 2015 (oh dear, has pre season optimism started already?)

Yeah, that's why I said earlier I think Harry has the right idea, you can question the way he handles things for sure. The footy industry is a lost cause IMHO. Frankly I am surprised at some of the posts in here regarding it. Seems there are quite a few good ol' boys sticking fat, telling everyone to harden up. If you don't see it their way you must be some kind of poonsie social justice warrior or something.

Look I am gonna straight up say this. This board (MFC) has slowly gone to s**t. If you go against the status quo you get shouted at and abused by those who post a lot. A few years ago when I joined, this place was a lot more open. The tone in here is thinly veiled anger covered up by joke posts about how s**t the club is.

I think that the problem is that we are all running a bit thin with our patience re the MFC and we are taking it out on each other. We all love our footy. It's certainly starting to piss me off. People say I need to be patient, well I've been waiting eight ******* years. My anger is real now, and to be honest I take it out on you guys cos my love for the club is shown here.

Harry should be priority two after Malceski in terms of trades for defenders - although I wouldn't trade Watts for him as 'rumours' are suggesting Collingwood want.... that wouldn't be a good trade.

Robinson is a must get IMO.

There's a thread dedicated to spuds that have destroyed us over the years. We could probably put together a worse list than the one we've got now if recruited off it.

Frankly I am surprised at some of the posts in here regarding it. Seems there are quite a few good ol' boys sticking fat, telling everyone to harden up. If you don't see it their way you must be some kind of poonsie social justice warrior or something.

Not necessary to push it to two extremes like that. There's a distinction between something being offensive and someone taking offense at something. Harry's meltdown definitely falls into the latter category. As for him having "the right idea" about the culture in football, no one is forcing him to play football. My two cents is it's presumptuous and condescending to expect people to conform to someone's expectations of behaviour just because they're on a soapbox twanging the world's smallest violin for everyone to hear.

Not necessary to push it to two extremes like that. There's a distinction between something being offensive and someone taking offense at something. Harry's meltdown definitely falls into the latter category. As for him having "the right idea" about the culture in football, no one is forcing him to play football. My two cents is it's presumptuous and condescending to expect people to conform to someone's expectations of behaviour just because they're on a soapbox twanging the world's smallest violin for everyone to hear.

I agree, Harry needs to settle down - no point getting offended about something that isn't MEANT to be offensive IMO.

I agree, Harry needs to settle down - no point getting offended about something that isn't MEANT to be offensive IMO.
while it wasn't meant to be offensive doesn't mean it isn't, although I haven't heard anyone from the gay community say this is offensive yet.
I think Harry's main issue here isn't the actual picture but the fact that the club has brushed this aside while he thinks it's an important issue.

while it wasn't meant to be offensive doesn't mean it isn't, although I haven't heard anyone from the gay community say this is offensive yet.
I think Harry's main issue here isn't the actual picture but the fact that the club has brushed this aside while he thinks it's an important issue.

True, but Harry has a habit of blowing everything out of proportion with it's level of offence.

BT saying NTTAWWTter wasn't meant to be offensive. That doesn't excuse it.

Saying "Off to the Mardi Gras" is well below that. One is a derogatory term, the other is... nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back