General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intercept marking I will agree with. To me 'intercept marking' falls under 'reading the game' which is the one I gave him above. Running through the midfield I disagree with. I don't think he is nearly damaging enough for that to be a weapon. His rebounding stops as soon as he has to hit a target on the run.

He does float forward and kick the odd goal, but again, not a weapon. Those you have listed might be some of his positive traits, but wouldn't go as far as to call them weapons IMO. As I posted, decent defender, and with that you can expect him to be able to read the play and mark the ball, as well as being able to shut someone down (hence the term 'defender') but nothing really stands out apart from that. I reckon he's a B-grader at present. Nothing wrong with that, but he still has to work to keep his spot, and that's a good thing

C grader.

Unfortunately, despite his AFL traits, he doesn't have a creative bone in his body and lacks skill under pressure. He's inept at holding onto the ball under pressure and making a really good decision and execution. More likely he'll rush a disposal which results in a turnover.

I'm not suggesting he's not best 22, but he needs to develop, which he hasn't done since his second year. He's stagnated, or regressed.

Spot on with that first part

I've always thought his reading of a kick in defence was elite but at ground level when there is traffic around him and he needs to make a decision he cracks badly

The video of us vs collingwood in 2010 shows grimes making some brilliant intercept marks and then switching the play quickly by hand or foot , nothing spectacular but it made him look like a quality young player

He doesn't have the consistency by foot or mind to take on the options he wants and needs more experience around him to help clear the footy
Lumumba will be a big help here

Grimes doesn't see what's behind him. Makes his courage in the air more impressive but doesn't help when he's going through traffic in the middle. Bell didn't know what was behind him, beside him, above or below. He can tag in the middle and did a couple of great cameo's there but he shouldn't played as a ball winner there ever IMO.

Grimes doesn't see what's behind him. Makes his courage in the air more impressive but doesn't help when he's going through traffic in the middle. Bell didn't know what was behind him, beside him, above or below. He can tag in the middle and did a couple of great cameo's there but he shouldn't played as a ball winner there ever IMO.
Certainly didn't know when Ben Johnson was beside him.

Certainly didn't know when Ben Johnson was beside him.
I completely forgot about that one but I did remember to hate Johnson. The last time I saw him play I had that feeling I get when I see Michael Long but couldn't figure out why. Didn't bother trying to figure it out because he was a Filth player so it didn't really matter.

I completely forgot about that one but I did remember to hate Johnson. The last time I saw him play I had that feeling I get when I see Michael Long but couldn't figure out why. Didn't bother trying to figure it out because he was a Filth player so it didn't really matter.
Yeah, there no campaigner like an Essendon campaigner... :mad:

How do you feel about Michael Long's effort in the 2000 GF? And the Daniel Bell/Ben Johnson incident mentioned above? Matthew Lloyd/Brad Sewell rates a mention too.
Wasn't great. I'm sure Longy regrets it now. Fantastic guy obviously, but understandably some will mainly remember that incident above all else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you feel about Michael Long's effort in the 2000 GF? And the Daniel Bell/Ben Johnson incident mentioned above? Matthew Lloyd/Brad Sewell rates a mention too. Maybe Kevin Sheedy was behind it all - if so, add him to the list of Essendon campaigners. Now we have Hirdy of course...

To be fair, the Lloyd hit on Sewell was pretty good.

Literally nothing to be concerned about. Athletes who lose muscle tend to pick it up fairly quickly. In fact it's more promising than anything in that his right leg still looks solid and suggests that he hasn't lost the rest of his conditioning.

Literally nothing to be concerned about. Athletes who lose muscle tend to pick it up fairly quickly. In fact it's more promising than anything in that his right leg still looks solid and suggests that he hasn't lost the rest of his conditioning.

Just never seen it before to that extent. I've never broken a leg or arm and had it happen to me. But as you said, it's promising; especially to show how little fat he has in his legs.

Just never seen it before to that extent. I've never broken a leg or arm and had it happen to me. But as you said, it's promising; especially to show how little fat he has in his legs.

I was in a cast for 8 weeks when I was younger without surgery or a break and my leg was withered massively like trenners

It bounced back very quickly

It was like being in a sauna for 8 weeks

He'll be fine

I was in a cast for 8 weeks when I was younger without surgery or a break and my leg was withered massively like trenners

It bounced back very quickly

It was like being in a sauna for 8 weeks

He'll be fine
Especially given that he'll be on an AFL fitness regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back