General MFC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wanted to post about a couple things in general I've noticed this year, but couldn't find an appropriate thread. Figured maybe a thread for topics that aren't exactly worth a thread on their own would be a good idea, if the mods disagree please delete.

Our tackling really sucks, most of our list doesn't even use the correct technique when attempting it. Watts was probably the prime example on Saturday night, a couple of really good chase down efforts but he doesn't go for the hips or get low enough, and he definitely isn't the only one.

Viney I think is having the same issues that Jones did early on in his career, he has no issue winning the ball but he needs to learn when to give it off and when to take players on, just think sometimes he tries to do too much (Especially evident on the weekend).

Also I think when it comes to selection people need to calm down a bit, I've been seeing stuff like 'drop M Jones/Terlich/Bail/Pedersen' (Although the pedersen hate has calmed down a bit), everyone needs to realize that whilst we are improving at a fairly rapid rate, there are still a lot of holes in our list and side, and you can't just drop players because you know they probably won't be playing in our next final. M Jones and Bail are pretty poor skill-wise but they provide run (And in Bails case good tackling) and there isn't much outside the team to replace them with. Sure, Toumpas is developing and Blease will probably be back in the side in the next couple weeks but they aren't sure bets to do a better job than the current players in the team.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Agree on the tackling in that we have a variety of techniques at the club which probably means we haven't done any specific technical training for a while. On the dropping spuds thing we have to have that kind of somewhat impatient argument otherwise everything is "in Roos we trust" and there's * all left to talk about in the relevant threads. Plus while Roos may be much more football wise than us he doesn't yet know all the players as well as us so we've still got a temporary advantage there. :)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Wanted to post about a couple things in general I've noticed this year, but couldn't find an appropriate thread. Figured maybe a thread for topics that aren't exactly worth a thread on their own would be a good idea, if the mods disagree please delete.

Our tackling really sucks, most of our list doesn't even use the correct technique when attempting it. Watts was probably the prime example on Saturday night, a couple of really good chase down efforts but he doesn't go for the hips or get low enough, and he definitely isn't the only one.

Viney I think is having the same issues that Jones did early on in his career, he has no issue winning the ball but he needs to learn when to give it off and when to take players on, just think sometimes he tries to do too much (Especially evident on the weekend).

Also I think when it comes to selection people need to calm down a bit, I've been seeing stuff like 'drop M Jones/Terlich/Bail/Pedersen' (Although the pedersen hate has calmed down a bit), everyone needs to realize that whilst we are improving at a fairly rapid rate, there are still a lot of holes in our list and side, and you can't just drop players because you know they probably won't be playing in our next final. M Jones and Bail are pretty poor skill-wise but they provide run (And in Bails case good tackling) and there isn't much outside the team to replace them with. Sure, Toumpas is developing and Blease will probably be back in the side in the next couple weeks but they aren't sure bets to do a better job than the current players in the team.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said

Alot of guys here are constantly calling out the same 5-6 guys to be dropped ( as i have with Watts ) but there is a reason the guys in the reserves aren't established in the 1's yet

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree on the tackling in that we have a variety of techniques at the club which probably means we haven't done any specific technical training for a while. On the dropping spuds thing we have to have that kind of somewhat impatient argument otherwise everything is "in Roos we trust" and there's **** all left to talk about in the relevant threads. Plus while Roos may be much more football wise than us he doesn't yet know all the players as well as us so we've still got a temporary advantage there. :)
******* Roos doesn't know s**t... He should come on here and name his team from what we say :drunk:
Amidoinitright?

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
So how many people are bidding for the BCNA guernseys?
Was thinking about bidding on Lynden Dunn's for my son but it might end up out of my price range

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would rather see Viney bite off more than he can chew than punt it long. Throwing it on the boot may be the right thing to do every now and again but its the dumb and simple option. Any player can throw it on the boot; I'd like to see our mids aim a little higher... if we get caught with the ball occasionally, so be it. At least they'll learn.

Our crap tackling is related to this. I don't know what passed for contested work at training in the last 5 odd years, but other than Nathan Jones, just about every player we have looks like a deer in headlights in traffic. Maybe a slight shimmy of Cale Morton's childlike hips was enough to break tackles at training, but I'd imagine other teams actually being able to pressure and tackle came as quite a surprise to us on match day... every week, season after season. We've improved on that this year at least.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would rather see Viney bite off more than he can chew than punt it long. Throwing it on the boot may be the right thing to do every now and again but its the dumb and simple option. Any player can throw it on the boot; I'd like to see our mids aim a little higher... if we get caught with the ball occasionally, so be it. At least they'll learn.

Our crap tackling is related to this. I don't know what passed for contested work at training in the last 5 odd years, but other than Nathan Jones, just about every player we have looks like a deer in headlights in traffic. Maybe a slight shimmy of Cale Morton's childlike hips was enough to break tackles at training, but I'd imagine other teams actually being able to pressure and tackle came as quite a surprise to us on match day... every week, season after season. We've improved on that this year at least.

I don't mind Viney taking them on, but he does do it too often. Just needs to find the balance like Jones did.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't mind Viney taking them on, but he does do it too often. Just needs to find the balance like Jones did.
He does take them on a lot, but he has to - most of our guys don't go with him so he tries to go without them. If we had more support alongside him in more contests, he probably would give it off a bit more. Jones seems a bit injured in the last few weeks so that's exacerbating the problem. It is improving though. The confidence is returning to the team.

He does take them on a lot, but he has to - most of our guys don't go with him so he tries to go without them. If we had more support alongside him in more contests, he probably would give it off a bit more. Jones seems a bit injured in the last few weeks so that's exacerbating the problem. It is improving though. The confidence is returning to the team.

That's a bit generous to Jack!

There were plenty of times against the Bulldogs where he either didn't see or ignored another option ... then proceeded to try and smash his way through two opposition players.

He'll learn from it.

That's a bit generous to Jack!

There were plenty of times against the Bulldogs where he either didn't see or ignored another option ... then proceeded to try and smash his way through two opposition players.

He'll learn from it.
It's just so exciting to have two midfielders - Viney and Tyson - who've shown genuine elite potential. If only Trengove could return to his form of 2010/11 (though a fifth/sixth year equivalent) we' be looking pretty set for 10 years in that area of the ground.

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Didn't really think this was thread worthy and didn't know where else to put it.
Has anyone heard of/tried Pod Life supplements?
They have been popping up on my news feed lately and I noticed that it is co-founded by Clint Bartram. Thought I might give them a go and see how they are

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Last edited:

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Didn't really think this was thread worthy and didn't know where else to put it.
Has anyone heard of/tried Pod Life supplements?
They have been popping up on my news feed lately and I noticed that it is co-founded by Clint Bartram. Thought I might give them a go and see how they are

I watched the vid on that today, pretty cool concept.

Not sure I will get one just yet, but would be interested to see what your thoughts are if you get one.

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah I was thinking about one for at work... Something quick and easy,it may just be a gimmick but I'm not overly fussed. Hell if they're succseful they might become new sponsers of the club

Just looking at their Facebook page I'm considering picking the Podlife Group Buy "investment package" US$240

Last edited:

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
What is it
Like protein/supplement shakes, only instead of mixing the powder in with your water/juice/milk and shaking or stirring it you load a pod in the shaker fill it with water hit the button shake and enjoy.
Convenience is the biggest thing it has going for it that and not having to dig through a 5kg tub of whey for the scoop:mad:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Like protein/supplement shakes, only instead of mixing the powder in with your water/juice/milk and shaking or stirring it you load a pod in the shaker fill it with water hit the button shake and enjoy.
Convenience is the biggest thing it has going for it that and not having to dig through a 5kg tub of whey for the scoop:mad:

Whats the link to the page I wanna have a look

Bought a packet of footy cards at the 7/11 on my way home. Just a hunch. Open them up, first card is Jack Viney.

They make good book marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back