news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really starting to wonder if even 10% of these guys are clean.

It's looking less likely by the day. :(

In more uplifting news, Cat Zingano is finally set to return at UFC 178 against Amanda Nunes. I'm a bit disappointed with the card choice as she would have been the perfect candidate for ICU 1 though, right Crimson Azure? Her against Julianan Pena would have been perfect for that card. ;)

Also, Holly Holm has finally signed with the UFC. Very excited to see her compete in the octagon.

He tested positive for EPO in a random test a couple of weeks out and tested clean the night of the fight. Given that the vast majority of fighters only get tested on fight night you'd have to be really naive to think most of them aren't taking whatever they can when they're training. If you know ahead of time when you'll be tested it's an IQ test and not a drug test.

It's looking less likely by the day. :(

In more uplifting news, Cat Zingano is finally set to return at UFC 178 against Amanda Nunes. I'm a bit disappointed with the card choice as she would have been the perfect candidate for ICU 1 though, right Crimson Azure? Her against Julianan Pena would have been perfect for that card. ;)

Also, Holly Holm has finally signed with the UFC. Very excited to see her compete in the octagon.
I worry if Cat is mentally ready to fight
Saw her on fight week on stage she looked and sounded fragile

I worry if Cat is mentally ready to fight
Saw her on fight week on stage she looked and sounded fragile

I saw her too and thought she sounded OK. She competed in a grappling tournament recently and scored a sick flying armbar sub, so I'm not that worried. Check it out:

I saw her too and thought she sounded OK. She competed in a grappling tournament recently and scored a sick flying armbar sub, so I'm not that worried. Check it out:

Looked good
She has had a really bad year and I do hope she does well

Looked good
She has had a really bad year and I do hope she does well

I doubt you'll find anyone who follows/is involved with MMA that doesn't. Nobody should have to go through what she has over the past year and a bit, so to see her come out the other side of it successfully would be a fantastic story.

Two fighters testing positive for EPO now and one for HGH. Have they come up with a better method to detect usage or have they simply been lucky by testing the fighters straight after they've put this stuff into their body? Hopefully the former.

I think it's likely Bagautinov faced heavier drug testing because of it surfacing that he failed a drug test when he was competing in Sambo in 2012.

I have no idea how many fighters are clean but at least none of the most recent failures are all that surprising. Who knows how many fighters have been randomly tested of late though.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Invicta shows are now going to be on Fight Pass. First Invicta event on Fight Pass will be in September, with a couple of title fights and with Michelle Waterson in the main event. Also recently saw that Cyborg's next fight is expected to be at 135 pounds.

Kyle Noke is apparently being lined up to fight Akiyama on the Japan card coming up. Hoping Kyle can get the win, but think Akiyama's judo and chin combination make it a long night for him.

Also, Bobby Green is stepping in for Michael Johnson to face Josh Thompson on the Lawler vs Brown card and Oliveira and Lentz will be fighting in a rematch of their controversial fight from a few years back.

Akiyama's lost his last 4 I think and the majority of those were against very good opponents. Hoping he can pick up a win. Although Noke hasn't done too well of late either I guess. It's good that one of them will get a much needed win.

I saw these two awesome promo videos for the Japanese event. Those videos are how people initially found out about the Noke/Akiyama fight. I was going to post the videos here but they're now private for some reason.

Green/Thomson is a good fight. I was really looking forward to Green/Trujillo though, but you can't do much about injuries. Oliveira/Lentz is a cool rematch. It'll be interesting to see how that fight plays out this time.

John Dodson's out with a knee injury, so the UFC decide that the next title challenger at Flyweight will be Chris Cariaso. Not the most interesting fight, but no doubt we'll get to see Mighty Mouse put on a clinic again. Not sure why they couldn't have waited to see who wins the McCall/Pickett fight and have them fight for the title next.

UFC 177 now has a couple of weird title fights. Dillashaw/Barao instant rematch for the Bantamweight title and Johnson/Cariaso for the Flyweight title.

Not sure how many people know, I only just found out when I was at lunch going through the facebook......there is a fight night on tomorrow 9am WST. Miller v Cerrone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the card tomorrow has some good fights on it. Cerrone/Miller, Barboza/Dunham & Tibau/Healy are the fights I'm most looking forward to. Tibau/Healy could be boring but I'm really interested in how it plays out. Duke/Smith is likely going to be an entertaining fight too.

There's also the first UFC women's strawweight fight, featuring Claudia Gadelha. I don't know much about her opponent but it's likely Gadelha runs through her, as many think she's the best in the weight class (she's not going to be on TUF because she can't make weight multiple times over a short period). I think it's a bit weird that they're putting it on Fight Pass though.

The Ireland card is on this weekend too. Not really interested in much on that card outside of the final three fights; those three fights are really good. McCall/Pickett & McGregor/Brandao are great fights & Gunnar Nelson is always interesting to watch. It was meant to be Nelson/LaFlare, which would have been great but injuries have reduced it to Nelson/Cummings.

1907378_238317566379541_7777226889776253081_n.jpg

Disgusting, looks like he absorbed his twin in utero.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back