news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cashed out on my multi for $24, My last pick was Laflair but the brazil fighters are cleaning up tonight.

Good win for Silva in terms of beating a name opponent. But the fight tells us nothing that we didn't already know. Koscheck's done and Silva's proven he can steamroll fighters that aren't good. 1st time he's won 2 straight in the UFC, although he'd have won 3 straight if not for that dodgy DQ call.

Good win for Silva in terms of beating a name opponent. But the fight tells us nothing that we didn't already know. Koscheck's done and Silva's proven he can steamroll fighters that aren't good. 1st time he's won 2 straight in the UFC, although he'd have won 3 straight if not for that dodgy DQ call.
I thought Koscheck would be the divisions gate keeper but his drop off since the GSP fight has been amazing. He looks like he's still fighting back in 2007.

I thought Koscheck would be the divisions gate keeper but his drop off since the GSP fight has been amazing. He looks like he's still fighting back in 2007.
His next fight was with Hughes and Koscheck should have destroyed him on the feet. Hughes actually did alright striking with him until he got finished at the end of round 1. Then a couple of fights later Koscheck arguably beat Hendricks. It's weird. Although, Hendricks has improved a lot since then.

I don't know how big of an impact the eye injury sustained in the GSP fight has impacted his fall. Probably more mental than physical, which makes it hard to quantify. Your point about 2007 is the perfect description. Everyone else has improved their game, while he's still almost exclusively throwing overhand rights and shooting from distance.

His next fight was with Hughes and Koscheck should have destroyed him on the feet. Hughes actually did alright striking with him until he got finished at the end of round 1. Then a couple of fights later Koscheck arguably beat Hendricks. It's weird. Although, Hendricks has improved a lot since then.

I don't know how big of an impact the eye injury sustained in the GSP fight has impacted his fall. Probably more mental than physical, which makes it hard to quantify. Your point about 2007 is the perfect description. Everyone else has improved their game, while he's still almost exclusively throwing overhand rights and shooting from distance.
Exactly right. Shooting from distance doesn't work that well nowadays. Too many fighters have great take down defense. I'd rather see him retire and begin coaching. His record is getting destroyed

After 4 rounds Maia was making my pick of LaFlare look ridiculous. Now at least I have something to point to for why I picked LaFlare. I thought Maia would tire as the fight went on and LaFlare would pull away late. Maia tired too late to lose or more correctly he kept going despite being tired for too long to lose. He was visibly exhausted in that last round to the point that he got a point taken away.

Sucks that he couldn't continue in the fifth round as he had the rest of the fight. His 1st 4 rounds were very impressive. I didn't expect him to outwrestle LaFlare that well, but I guess I should have. His wrestling at WW has looked great. Then his passing to mount against LaFlare, a good grappler, was sublime.

After 4 rounds Maia was making my pick of LaFlare look ridiculous. Now at least I have something to point to for why I picked LaFlare. I thought Maia would tire as the fight went on and LaFlare would pull away late. Maia tired too late to lose or more correctly he kept going despite being tired for too long to lose. He was visibly exhausted in that last round to the point that he got a point taken away.

Sucks that he couldn't continue in the fifth round as he had the rest of the fight. His 1st 4 rounds were very impressive. I didn't expect him to outwrestle LaFlare that well, but I guess I should have. His wrestling at WW has looked great. Then his passing to mount against LaFlare, a good grappler, was sublime.
I just don't understand maia though. For a 5 time jujitsu world champion he is pretty poor at submissions. He gets in really good positions but opts to stay neutral. Is it a confidence thing or does he not want to take the risk?

For instance look at Silva or Ferguson. Even they look 10x more dangerous than Maia when it comes to finishing via submission

Exactly right. Shooting from distance doesn't work that well nowadays. Too many fighters have great take down defense. I'd rather see him retire and begin coaching. His record is getting destroyed
Yeah I hope he retires too. I read that this was his last fight on his contract. I hope he didn't rush to finish his contract so he could get a big pay day in Bellator or something.

I just don't understand maia though. For a 5 time jujitsu world champion he is pretty poor at submissions. He gets in really good positions but opts to stay neutral. Is it a confidence thing or does he not want to take the risk?

For instance look at Silva or Ferguson. Even they look 10x more dangerous than Maia when it comes to finishing via submission
It's weird. He was submitting everyone when he 1st entered the UFC and now he's more of a positional grappler than a submission grappler. I read something recently where he said it's hard to submit people in the UFC because they realise how good he is and play purely defensively. I think there's something to that but there's got to be more to it than that. I don't know what though.

The second arm triangle choke looked pretty good. It was getting sunk in and Maia was looking to move to side control but LaFlare did well to escape to half guard.

The first arm triangle attempt was weird. Maia didn't have the choke on very well but decided to move from mount to side control. I'm not sure why he didn't try to lock the choke in well before transitioning. Someone else on BF will have a better understanding of grappling than me and might be able to explain it.

Wow, that ref did an awful job. Now I've seen what he did in one of the Fight Pass fights. Guy taps a bunch of times and he's really slow to stop it. Then in the Dober fight he stops it for no apparent reason.

It just gets worse and worse though, as he's actually fought twice in pro MMA bouts. When I found that out I was expecting him to have won by chokes, just to cap off how bad his officiating was. Turns out he's 2-0, with both wins by (T)KO.

Wow, that ref did an awful job. Now I've seen what he did in one of the Fight Pass fights. Guy taps a bunch of times and he's really slow to stop it. Then in the Dober fight he stops it for no apparent reason.

It just gets worse and worse though, as he's actually fought twice in pro MMA bouts. When I found that out I was expecting him to have won by chokes, just to cap off how bad his officiating was. Turns out he's 2-0, with both wins by (T)KO.
Sherdog says he has a BJJ black belt

That referee was awful! Hoping we don't have to see him in there again... first an awful late stoppage then a fictional tap in the next fight!

I think BradWCE has nailed it. Everyone knows what Maia is going to do and the level of athlete and mixed martial artist in general is much greater than it was when Demian started out on a submission blaze of glory. Much like what you said about Koscheck, the game has evolved so much in the last 7 or so years that Maia has been in the UFC and while his BJJ is still good enough to get him wins like today, it's going to be tough for him to sub the top guys at 170. I picked Maia to win by decision purely because of that and it paid off in the tipping comp.

I'm firmly in the Kos to retire camp too. He did give his all in the fight, but was outclassed by a younger and better fighter. Silva looked as calm as I've seen him in the octagon and looked like he was nowhere near gassed when the fight ended which is a good sign. He's finally won two in a row now and can hopefully get some momentum up in the division as he's great to watch. I've got no idea who I'd match him with though as he smashes guys not quite up to standard and fades horribly against guys who are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A black belt who trains with Leandro Silva regularly.. Apparently. Not hard to join the dots.

Brazilians.
Maybe they do train together, which would be bad. I haven't seen anything that suggests it's true though. All I've seen is a photo that has the ref with a guy who looks nothing like Leandro Silva, and it seems like people are saying that it's Leandro Silva.

Here's the photo:
CArG5GXWEAAoWfP.jpg

Still haven't seen anything to suggest the ref has trained with Silva. To me it appears to be just clear incompetence from the referee. People just want to make a corruption and/or conspiracy angle out of it.

And people do think it's Leandro Silva in the picture:

CAzYXYoUcAAebZ6.jpg

What the *? The only explanation for thinking this guy is Leandro Silva from the fight is if you're so hell bent on this conspiracy angle or if you're racist.

Dillashaw out with a broken rib....will this rematch ever happen

Dillashaw out with a broken rib....will this rematch ever happen

Good. The longer the delay the more likely it is that we see Cruz vs TJ.

I think that Cruz has gained far more fans since he has been injured, he is one of the best analyst that Fox have and I can't wait to see him fight for the belt again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back