news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Having multiple organizations can only be a good thing right?
For sure. The sport benefits and fighters benefit from competition. Fans lose out because you miss out on some fights between top fighters. As an example, I'd love to see how Will Brooks would do in the UFC. I'm okay with missing out on stuff like that because overall it's better. If it was just the UFC at the top and a there were a bunch of all these tiny regional feeder leagues then it'd be terrible for the fighters and the sport as it stands now. If there was a fighters union then it wouldn't be so bad.

Very sloppy by OSP.....Still gets a walkback uppercut KO though

Brian Stann said that Machida had to be helped to his corner at the end of the first round.
Yeah, Luke was eyeballing him all the way to his corner.

Seems to be Lyoto's problem that he is easily broken.

Really wanted to see him face CW again.

I think Rockhold clobbered Machida in the back of the head with an elbow right at the end of the round. That may have messed him up a bit as he seemed to be okay prior to that.

If Weidman gets past Vitor then him vs Rockhold is such a compelling fight. No idea how it would go down.

I think Rockhold clobbered Machida in the back of the head with an elbow right at the end of the round. That may have messed him up a bit as he seemed to be okay prior to that.

If Weidman gets past Vitor then him vs Rockhold is such a compelling fight. No idea how it would go down.
Was it just me or did I see an official come over and ask Machida if he could continue, having received an illegal elbow to the back of the head? Was bizarre that the commentators didn't even mention it.

Reason why i'm not in the tipping comp:

My sportsbet multi of Cummins, Miller & Herrig. :oops:

What a bizarre card.

I figured seeing as OSP was mauled by Bader, naturally Cummins would also ragdoll him. - I was mistaken.
Miller is a gritty customer, sharp on the feet and very well credentialed on the mat - Wtf happened, and who was that guy??
Herrig? I just figured PvZ was the bigger ditz and just generally clueless, - I didn't realise she also fights like a psycho ex-girlfriend.

Poor Cammozzi.. That's one recurring nightmare that won't be subsiding anytime soon.

Machida - He looked well and truly past it tonight. CW, Rockhold & Jacare will eat him alive.. Where does he go now? He's more or less a contendership gatekeeper.

Last edited:
Damn Rockhold was impressive. I was hoping Machida would win, but he lost and got hurt badly, so that sucks. It wasn't on the feet for long in the first round but Machida was getting the better of it for whatever it's worth. Then Machida slipped I think (maybe Rockhold tagged him a bit too, not sure) and from then on Rockhold completely dominated the rest of the round on the mat.

I think the fight should have been stopped in between rounds. Machida was clearly badly hurt near the end of round 1. Then he staggered over to sit down after the round ended. As the break went on he didn't look any better on the stool. Doctors came over and seemed to be a bit worried as they asked if he was alright. Machida and his corner say he's ok and that's that, doctors don't feel the need to take a closer look at him. At the time I thought the doctors or the corner should have stopped it. Then he came out for round 2 and looked completely out of it, so I went yeah stopping it would have been good. I'm glad Rockhold locked in the choke fairly early in the round and that Machida didn't take much more damage.

Jacare/Romero would have been great. Jacare/Camozzi 2 went as expected. Early win by submission for Jacare. Can't complain with that but there's also nothing to really get excited about.

I picked Holloway to win but I wasn't confident in picking him. Very impressive performance. He was one step ahead of Swanson at every stage of that fight. Stopping Swanson capped it all off.

Obviously VanZant needs to improve technically, but at the moment she's making up for it in other ways. She's aggressive, vicious and has a massive gas tank. That last round was a beat down. The thing is though, that VanZant would have benefited from not being so wild. By making sure she got to a good position on the ground first and then striking, she'd have minimised the openings she gave Herrig and maximised the beating she put on Herrig. Hopefully the UFC doesn't think she's anywhere near a title shot as Joanna Champion would maul her.

What a bizarre card.

I figured seeing as OSP was mauled by Bader, naturally Cummins would also ragdoll him. - I was mistaken.
Miller is a gritty customer, sharp on the feet and very well credentialed on the mat - Wtf happened, and who was that guy??
Herrig? I just figured PvZ was the bigger ditz and just generally clueless, - I didn't realise she also fights like a scorned and out for revenge by death!
Those 3 fights would have been really tough to pick. Most of the card was I guess. I picked VanZant but with no confidence. We only picked the main card so I didn't make selections for the other 2 fights. I've got no idea who I would have picked in them.

I don't bet much. Only time I've bet on MMA was the card with Bader/Davis on it. I thought Bader was great value, but for some reason I put a multi on and lost because of another fight. I should have just bet on Bader to win.

I think checking out Patrick Wyman's preview articles at Sherdog would be a lot of help when betting. I'm not sure how often he's right but he deeply analyses the fights (which would be really hard for us to do). He picked VanZant, Cummins and Dariush on this card.

Here's the first page from his preview of the Fox card: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Preview-UFC-on-Fox-15-84729

What a bizarre card.

Herrig? I just figured PvZ was the bigger ditz and just generally clueless, - I didn't realise she also fights like a psycho ex-girlfriend.

Poor Cammozzi.. That's one recurring nightmare that won't be subsiding anytime soon.

Machida - He looked well and truly past it tonight. CW, Rockhold & Jacare will eat him alive.. Where does he go now? He's more or less a contendership gatekeeper.

Cummins did spend a fair portion of the fight ragdolling OSP to be fair, but OSP was amazingly good in the scrambles tonight. You could see early on that he was looking for the uppercut when Cummins tried to close the distance and landed a peach of a punch to end it. No disgrace in the loss for Cummins, but OSP looked like a beast yesterday and if he can continue to thwart wrestlers like he did yesterday could make some noise in the near future.

Miller got beaten by a better grappler. He did look sharp on the feet and did his best when the fight hit the floor, but Dariush's skills on the mat are legit. If you're not familiar with Dariush, I expect you will be soon as he looks like a very promising prospect.

As for Herrig, I had a feeling she wouldn't be able to deal with Paige's grinding style and cardio.

FWIW, I would have missed on the same multi as I definitely would have had money on Cummins. :p

As for the Machida/Rockhold fight, I agree with Ross that it was changed massively by the elbow landed just before the bell to end round one. Lyoto was definitely losing that first round, but I felt like he was defending relatively well on the ground and while he was marked up hadn't taken too much damage. The elbow definitely rocked him and could well have lead to the fight being stopped between rounds as he looked completely out of it. As BradWCE said, he looked good on the feet early on so I wouldn't say he's past it or a shadow of his former self just yet. Rockhold deserves a massive amount of credit either way as he looked as beastly as I've ever seen him. Can't wait to see any of him, Jacare, Weidman and Belfort across the cage from eachother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the elbow hit Machida in the side of the head or the back of the head? I remember that it made a solid noise, it has a hard shot!
The zoomed in footage from the joe rogan interview looked like it hit the side of the head.

Did the elbow hit Machida in the side of the head or the back of the head? I remember that it made a solid noise, it has a hard shot!

I didn't see the replay, but am happy to take Brett33's word for it. Either way it was a brutal shot... and that sound, my god! My point wasn't about where the strike hit him, it was more to do with Lyoto not looking the same after that strike in reply to people saying he looked old or past it.

I didn't see the replay, but am happy to take Brett33's word for it. Either way it was a brutal shot... and that sound, my god! My point wasn't about where the strike hit him, it was more to do with Lyoto not looking the same after that strike in reply to people saying he looked old or past it.
JgEpvkg.gif

Awesome gif, thanks for that! Looks like it landed right on the temple which makes it harder to believe the Lyoto didn't go out as a result!
No worries.

I'm shocked too. No wonder why he staggered to his corner. The force behind that elbow :eek::eek::eek:

I cannot wait for Rockhold vs Weidman!

I didn't realise how loud the noise was when Rockhold landed that elbow and that it hit Machida absolutely flush. I knew Machida was hurt badly at the end of the round but I didn't know if it was a cumulative effect of all the shots he took or one shot. After rewatching it it looks like it was in large part due to that elbow, which was brutal.

The slip/punch when the fight first hit the ground looks more like a slip than a punch landing. Rockhold deserves some credit though. With Machida coming forward Rockhold moved off to the side and ended up having his leg in front of Machida. Can't really tell how intentional it is as the camera is too high to see what's going on with their legs. It sucks that just prior to that the camera was showing their whole bodies. Then the punch thrown by Rockhold landed on Machida's back and combined with Rockhold's little trip led to Machida toppling over.

I didn't realise how loud the noise was when Rockhold landed that elbow and that it hit Machida absolutely flush. I knew Machida was hurt badly at the end of the round but I didn't know if it was a cumulative effect of all the shots he took or one shot. After rewatching it it looks like it was in large part due to that elbow, which was brutal.

When I first watched it I heard the noise loud and clear (headphones) and thought that he smashed Machida in the back of the head. Seeing the gif that Brett33 (thanks for that) posted it's pretty obvious that the elbow was a huge factor. The fight was over then, Machida was done.

The slip/punch when the fight first hit the ground looks more like a slip than a punch landing. Rockhold deserves some credit though. With Machida coming forward Rockhold moved off to the side and ended up having his leg in front of Machida. Can't really tell how intentional it is as the camera is too high to see what's going on with their legs. It sucks that just prior to that the camera was showing their whole bodies. Then the punch thrown by Rockhold landed on Machida's back and combined with Rockhold's little trip led to Machida toppling over.

XByoXE3.gif

From the looks of this, I'd leaning towards giving Rockhold credit for the fight hitting the ground rather than Machida slipping. Rockhols sidesteps Machida's rush and moves his right leg across his path at the same time his right hand comes swinging through. If it was intentional, it's a brilliant bit or work against a guy reknowned for his footwork and balance.

I just don't see it, I know fighters reactions are quick but s**t he'd have to have the quickest reaction time ever if that was deliberate. To do that, and focus on avoiding Machidas punch and throwing his own as well...I just dunno...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back