news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

jon jones to C-block

such a shame.. I for one am big Jone jones fan, His personality outside the cage has never fazed me even though a lot of what he says is cringe worthy lol.
I read an article where Fox sports head lawyer said he was looking at between 1-3 years in jail and was predicting a 2 year sentence. if that's the case it garrentees he will never be the greatest mma fighter of all time and in my opinion he was a cpl of wins away from that.

I would be shocked if he gets any jail time. It will be a fine and some community service, worst case a stint for 30 days.

aside from Gustafson after the fact, rumble posed his biggest threat imo.. far from a sure thing but jones has always fought his opponents where they posed the biggest threat, and standing with Johnson, who has a chin, would have lead to an extreamly close fight.

I think Rumble probably is his biggest test, but alot of people have been pulling the "Rumble was gonna kick his ass anyway" line, and thats ridiculous. I would back Jones against anyone and to suggest anyone was gonna destroy him is stupid.

Why not just take just Cerrone out and stick him up against Dos Anjos at a later date, Masvidal is probably the only other guy that I can think of that could step up. Or a long shot Dariush

As for Bader the only guy I could think of was Jimi Manuwa but he's on the sidelines.
The only other is Rampage who he's fought already but Page seems to be keen on rematches

The UFC is obviously trying to clean up its overall image, it has been for ages and realistically this was the only option left for Dana and co, he has plenty of form here.
How long ago is ages? I'd say ages is more than two and a half years ago. Two and a half years ago they were trying to get someone out of jail on the night of the fight so they could fight. Not a good look.

They may be trying to clean up their image but they aren't doing a very good job. They're so ******* inconsistent on punishments. They've said they have a zero tolerance policy on domestic violence but it's clearly complete bullshit.

Yeah. The good thing is that it's less than a month away now, so even if Belfort fails a drug test before the fight they'll be able to say that they didn't get the results back yet.
for a man with dangerously low testosterone levels he looks to be in great shape.. must be his faith in chezits

This is the time when I don't want Cowboy to get given just any fight. The timing is too important for title contentions, being just given a fight by the UFC isn't right. This isn't a card that needs to be saved at the cost of potentially losing a huge contender.

RDS isn't going to be back until the end of the year, isn't he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even better - it would be Cerrone/Bendo IV lol.

Maybe Michael Johnson could step in to face Cerrone. He's meant to be fighting Bendo but I have no idea when that fight is. He might not be ready to fight inside a month from now.

Turns out it Makdessi in to fight Cerrone. Can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed by that news. Would have loved to see Johnson or Thompson step in.

How long ago is ages? I'd say ages is more than two and a half years ago. Two and a half years ago they were trying to get someone out of jail on the night of the fight so they could fight. Not a good look.

They may be trying to clean up their image but they aren't doing a very good job. They're so ******* inconsistent on punishments. They've said they have a zero tolerance policy on domestic violence but it's clearly complete bullshit.

Yeh i think i meant "ages" in the sense the UFC is only like 30 years old, but you are right, its only been very, very recent (drug testing, reebok deal etc)

Watching the MayPac fight made me appreciate MMA so much more. It could be that I'm only a casual watcher of boxing but there are so many more dimensions to MMA.
Agreed. Although having said that, it's interesting that Boxing judges can recognise much deeper striking intricacies than their MMA counterparts. This is made even more confusing by the fact that many MMA judges are in fact Boxing judges.

For example, I'm not so sure I'd back MMA judges to give a similar striking display decision to Floyd if that was in the UFC. Generally flashier strikers get controversial decisions and counter-punches lose many rounds this way.

Thoughts?

Agreed. Although having said that, it's interesting that Boxing judges can recognise much deeper striking intricacies than their MMA counterparts. This is made even more confusing by the fact that many MMA judges are in fact Boxing judges.

For example, I'm not so sure I'd back MMA judges to give a similar striking display decision to Floyd if that was in the UFC. Generally flashier strikers get controversial decisions and counter-punches lose many rounds this way.

Thoughts?

I don't necessarily agree, I don't watch enough boxing to have a good sample size but there are certainly decisions in UFC that have favoured counter punchers. Diaz/Condit one of the bigger recent ones.

Watching the MayPac fight made me appreciate MMA so much more. It could be that I'm only a casual watcher of boxing but there are so many more dimensions to MMA.
A Mayweather fight could easily get that reaction from you. It's not a barnburner and when you're much more used to watching MMA you think silly things like Mayweather could lock up a guillotine right now.

Watch a fight like Matthysse/Provodnikov from a couple of weeks ago, or Bradley/Provodnikov, or Hearns/Hagler, or the Ali/Frazier trilogy. Those bouts are much more likely for you to get caught up in the action and not really care about MMA for the moment.

I don't really get appreciating MMA more from watching boxing though, they're two completely different sports. To me it's like appreciating Aussie rules more by watching soccer.

I don't necessarily agree, I don't watch enough boxing to have a good sample size but there are certainly decisions in UFC that have favoured counter punchers. Diaz/Condit one of the bigger recent ones.

Also champs that do nothing....ie GSP v Hendricks ;)

There are a lot of terrible decisions that have gone against the fighter who fought off the back foot though. All of Diego Sanchez's recent 'wins' are because the judges see him going forward and throwing a lot of punches that only hit air.

I watch a lot more MMA than boxing. I know that there's a lot of bad boxing decisions, but I'm not really sure what sort of fights result in these decisions. A lot of bad MMA decisions are because one fighter is moving forward and looking aggressive, but they're the ones getting beat up.

There are a lot of terrible decisions that have gone against the fighter who fought off the back foot though. All of Diego Sanchez's recent 'wins' are because the judges see him going forward and throwing a lot of punches that only hit air.

The Pearson decision was bull, the Gomi one totally expected. Japanese fighters never win decisions :D

Thoughts?
I'm not too sure about this. Boxing having so many more rounds gives it an advantage when it comes to not stuffing up decisions. MMA having 3 rounds for the most part means that getting a round or two wrong has massive implications. I think it's hard to extrapolate from a 3 round or even 5 round MMA fight how they would score a 12 round boxing fight.

You're definitely right that a lot of bad MMA decisions occur because the judges ignore what the fighter on the back foot is doing. I'm not sure about the make up of bad boxing decisions though.

Also, Mayweather's got such a terrific defensive reputation that judges and fans can get a bit blinded by it. That's something that's harder to get in an MMA environment. Scoring it 10-2 in his favour seems a bit too one-sided for me, and one judge did that. His reputation leads to people thinking that he's not getting hit by anything when he may be taking a shot or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back