news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just posted this in the tipping thread but thought it might be better here, some random thoughts from the weekend in Adelaide

Man, what a massive, massive weekend. Drove into Adelaide from Melbourne early on Saturday but unfortunately missed the weigh ins. Saw a few of the fighters around town on the Saturday getting food etc. which was cool. Had a BIG Saturday night so missed the first 2 fights but some random musings on the card
- Adelaide put on a good show... until the main event (ill talk about that later)
- Adelaide entertainment centre is really good
- Kailin Curran has no idea what she is doing on the ground, she won every second of that fight until she hung her arm out and stepped into an armbar. People in the crowd thought it was a fix cause it looked so ridiculous
- Ref stopping the Andrews fight cause Dylan got punched in the face was bizarre. Can only assume the Ref thought it was an eye poke but it was a clear a punch as you will ever see
- Rawlings is awesome on social media but has huge holes in her game. Lisa Ellis was a can given the Bec to look good
- Sam Alvey has amazing punching power. Ive seen Dan Kelly get hit by Heavyweights and walk through it and had the best post fight interview ive ever seen, endeared himself to the crowd after beating a former olympian.
- Webb beat Noke 29-28. This was a home crowd advantage win.
- Dan Hooker is good, that head kick finish deserved $50k
- Minor setback for Mathews. He was comfortably winning and on his way to an easy win but just made one mistake. Thats the difference at this level. He is 20 and will only get better. Not even joking he was making Vick look average for the first 4 minutes of that fight.
- First instances of the bad crowd were in the Perosh fight. He was out on his feet, not defending himself but the crowd booed the stoppage.
- Robert Whittaker might throw another million punches in the cage, none will ever be as pretty as the left (i think) that landed first. Closed range, uncorked it from the hips with his head protected and landed right on the button. It was beautiful and the atmosphere was electric for it. If youve never been to a UFC card and heard the crack of a punch like that make sure you do, its brilliant.
- The Hunt fight was awful. The crowd chanting "stand them up" or booing Miocic for "laying on him" and "not f**king working" was embarassing. Read later that Stipe broke the record for strikes landed... It showed. The referee should have stopped the fight in the 3rd round and a few educated fans and media types agreed later on, Hunts heart and an idiotic ref (and doctor) just took years off his life, this is also the sort of thing that haters of the sports use as fuel for the "ban the cage" argument. I left feeling dirty after this fight. Hunt was never in it (he looked gassed at the glove touch in the first round) but Stipe was fantastic, perfect game plan and execution, well done to him. Question for those still reading this, could you hear on the broadcast the "Stand them up" chant in the 4th?

Overall a great card and weekend but the Hunt fight and crowd antics left a bad taste in my mouth and it wouldnt suprise me if the UFC doesnt come back to Adelaide.

Just posted this in the tipping thread but thought it might be better here, some random thoughts from the weekend in Adelaide

Man, what a massive, massive weekend. Drove into Adelaide from Melbourne early on Saturday but unfortunately missed the weigh ins. Saw a few of the fighters around town on the Saturday getting food etc. which was cool. Had a BIG Saturday night so missed the first 2 fights but some random musings on the card
- Adelaide put on a good show... until the main event (ill talk about that later)
- Adelaide entertainment centre is really good
- Kailin Curran has no idea what she is doing on the ground, she won every second of that fight until she hung her arm out and stepped into an armbar. People in the crowd thought it was a fix cause it looked so ridiculous
- Ref stopping the Andrews fight cause Dylan got punched in the face was bizarre. Can only assume the Ref thought it was an eye poke but it was a clear a punch as you will ever see
- Rawlings is awesome on social media but has huge holes in her game. Lisa Ellis was a can given the Bec to look good
- Sam Alvey has amazing punching power. Ive seen Dan Kelly get hit by Heavyweights and walk through it and had the best post fight interview ive ever seen, endeared himself to the crowd after beating a former olympian.
- Webb beat Noke 29-28. This was a home crowd advantage win.
- Dan Hooker is good, that head kick finish deserved $50k
- Minor setback for Mathews. He was comfortably winning and on his way to an easy win but just made one mistake. Thats the difference at this level. He is 20 and will only get better. Not even joking he was making Vick look average for the first 4 minutes of that fight.
- First instances of the bad crowd were in the Perosh fight. He was out on his feet, not defending himself but the crowd booed the stoppage.
- Robert Whittaker might throw another million punches in the cage, none will ever be as pretty as the left (i think) that landed first. Closed range, uncorked it from the hips with his head protected and landed right on the button. It was beautiful and the atmosphere was electric for it. If youve never been to a UFC card and heard the crack of a punch like that make sure you do, its brilliant.
- The Hunt fight was awful. The crowd chanting "stand them up" or booing Miocic for "laying on him" and "not f**king working" was embarassing. Read later that Stipe broke the record for strikes landed... It showed. The referee should have stopped the fight in the 3rd round and a few educated fans and media types agreed later on, Hunts heart and an idiotic ref (and doctor) just took years off his life, this is also the sort of thing that haters of the sports use as fuel for the "ban the cage" argument. I left feeling dirty after this fight. Hunt was never in it (he looked gassed at the glove touch in the first round) but Stipe was fantastic, perfect game plan and execution, well done to him. Question for those still reading this, could you hear on the broadcast the "Stand them up" chant in the 4th?

Overall a great card and weekend but the Hunt fight and crowd antics left a bad taste in my mouth and it wouldnt suprise me if the UFC doesnt come back to Adelaide.

Great post.
Couldnt agree more with just about everything.

Question for those still reading this, could you hear on the broadcast the "Stand them up" chant in the 4th?
Great post. To answer the question, yes we could.

It was deafening in the crowd and was seriously stupid. The particularly vitriolic comments from the crowd you guys probably wouldnt have been able to hear were worse still. Did the commentators make any mention of it?
I don't think they mentioned the stand me up chant, they did kind of just play away the boos when Stipe took it to ground again though.

Cheers mate.
Yeah I watched the fight again before and you may be right.
I remember looking at the clock thinking hold on Jake... Only to tap with about 10 or so seconds to go. .. Real shame, although yeah he will be back.

It sucks that it happened so late in the round, but it was either tap or nap at that point as the choke looked very tight. Did you see the highlights of the Legacy vs RFA card from the weekend? The same think happened to former WEC and UFC fighter Damacio Page... dominated a fight for two rounds, but got caught in a triangle to close the second round. In that case he didn't tap, but as soon as the horn went and his opponent let the triangle go he just slumped forward completely unconsious. I'm not sure of the lasting effects of being choked unconsious, but I much prefer to see a young guy like Jake tap and learn a lesson than go to sleep and potentailly have damage done.

Sounds like you had an awesome trip! Did you approach any fighters for a chat or a photo? I remember my personal experience from 110 that the fighters on the whole were much more approchable than your run of the mill sports stars and were happy to have a chat or a quick photo.

The crowd was pretty embarrassing during the Hunt fight and agree 100% that it should have been stopped firstly in the third round, then definitely at the end of the fourth by Hunt's corner or the doctor. Not surprisingly, it's been used as a platform for Napthine to attack the decision to overturn the cage ban in Victoria:

Sounds like you had an awesome trip! Did you approach any fighters for a chat or a photo? I remember my personal experience from 110 that the fighters on the whole were much more approchable than your run of the mill sports stars and were happy to have a chat or a quick photo.

The crowd was pretty embarrassing during the Hunt fight and agree 100% that it should have been stopped firstly in the third round, then definitely at the end of the fourth by Hunt's corner or the doctor. Not surprisingly, it's been used as a platform for Napthine to attack the decision to overturn the cage ban in Victoria:

Spoke to a few of them and saw them interacting alot, agree with your assessment, very approachable and just generally pretty happy to be out and about with fans, having said that it would be a different level for the likes of Rousey, Pettis, St.Pierre, McGregor etc.

The crowd was awful, really grated on me because it wasn't even just hometown bias (which you get and is fine, the Mathews fight for instance the crowd just went quiet, even the Perosh fight people booed but it wasnt as bad) people were really pissed off about this and it was just uneducated "just bleed" garbage.

Im not suprised about Napthines comments, unfortunately its hard to argue. If every MMA fight was like that i would call for it to be banned as well, terrible adjudicating and fighter welfare management.

It sucks that it happened so late in the round, but it was either tap or nap at that point as the choke looked very tight. Did you see the highlights of the Legacy vs RFA card from the weekend? The same think happened to former WEC and UFC fighter Damacio Page... dominated a fight for two rounds, but got caught in a triangle to close the second round. In that case he didn't tap, but as soon as the horn went and his opponent let the triangle go he just slumped forward completely unconsious. I'm not sure of the lasting effects of being choked unconsious, but I much prefer to see a young guy like Jake tap and learn a lesson than go to sleep and potentailly have damage done.

No I didn't see that but will look at it now you mention it.
Couldn't imagine it being too good for you.... I have read somewhere about the damage that it can cause if it happens numerous times (I will try and find the article again).

Yeah, it is definitaly something Jake will learn from now... I think he has a very bright future in the sport but obviously a few skills to hone in on.

The first UFC event I have attended in the flesh and I can guarantee it wont be the last. I had a great time.
Was only about 8 rows from the ring, was fantastic.

No I didn't see that but will look at it now you mention it.
Couldn't imagine it being too good for you.... I have read somewhere about the damage that it can cause if it happens numerous times (I will try and find the article again).

Yeah, it is definitaly something Jake will learn from now... I think he has a very bright future in the sport but obviously a few skills to hone in on.

The first UFC event I have attended in the flesh and I can guarantee it wont be the last. I had a great time.
Was only about 8 rows from the ring, was fantastic.

Having been choked out and knocked out a handful of times you recover from the choke alot better than a KO, either way its not ideal, i think he was too far away from the end of the round to risk it (mind you inside the last 10 seconds was always my theory for a choke).

Jake is amazing, he is also only 20 and was dominating until that point, has come out on facebook today and said he got caught up in the hype etc, completely understandable and having trained with him he will learn alot, can guarantee he will never got caught like that again.

Melbourne card is going to be amazing, the UFC is getting so polished at putting on a show now, the highlight thing to The Who song got the crowd into a frenzy between the prelims and the main card. They didnt have those productions values when i went a few years ago to Sydney.

Was reading today it could be at Rod Laver though. They have both Rod Laver and Etihad booked so depending on the card will go to either venue. 15k vs 50k+, I sure as hell hope it goes to Etihad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne card is going to be amazing, the UFC is getting so polished at putting on a show now, the highlight thing to The Who song got the crowd into a frenzy between the prelims and the main card. They didnt have those productions values when i went a few years ago to Sydney.

Who is rumoured to be coming to Melbourne?
Anyone locked in?

Having been choked out and knocked out a handful of times you recover from the choke alot better than a KO, either way its not ideal, i think he was too far away from the end of the round to risk it (mind you inside the last 10 seconds was always my theory for a choke).

Jake is amazing, he is also only 20 and was dominating until that point, has come out on facebook today and said he got caught up in the hype etc, completely understandable and having trained with him he will learn alot, can guarantee he will never got caught like that again.

Pretty sure with a choke it's got to do with how long the brain is deprived of oxygen for. Given that the refs on the weekend were pretty questionable, I'm glad Jake tapped. Was super impressed with him again on Sunday and am hoping like hell he's on the Melbourne card in November so I can see him live.

Who is rumoured to be coming to Melbourne?
Anyone locked in?

It's too early at this stage, but the rumours going around a while back were Ronda may be coming out here. I think a lot will depend on whether they can get a card in New York this year. If they do, I expect we'll end up at Rod Laver without a title fight while NYC will get at least 2 title fights.

Pretty sure with a choke it's got to do with how long the brain is deprived of oxygen for. Given that the refs on the weekend were pretty questionable, I'm glad Jake tapped. Was super impressed with him again on Sunday and am hoping like hell he's on the Melbourne card in November so I can see him live.

It's too early at this stage, but the rumours going around a while back were Ronda may be coming out here. I think a lot will depend on whether they can get a card in New York this year. If they do, I expect we'll end up at Rod Laver without a title fight while NYC will get at least 2 title fights.

The atmosphere seeing Jake live was awesome to be honest. He had a heap of support in the crowd.
Hopefully he is on the Melbourne card in November as I will be there for sure.

In terms of Ronda Rousey that would be awesome to see her live, one of my favourites.

She is fighting in August, would she back up again in November?

Would be a huge drawcard

Me too, but because I want to see her lose. :p

Noooooooo.
Ronda will get you

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back