news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A few years ago Dana White said "No women in the UFC"

Now....

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/7/4/88...-ufc-mma?_ga=1.230550293.886741569.1435079133
"Ronda and Joanna came together yesterday, met for the first time," he continued. "They've never met. So they met for the first time here yesterday and they were hugging each other, 'I couldn't wait to meet you. I couldn't wait to meet you.' It's ******* crazy. It's so cool. When Joanna walked into the room yesterday, all the fighters were pointing at her like 'there she is.'"

Hahahaha, Could we see Ronda and Champion Joanna headline a PPV?

A few years ago Dana White said "No women in the UFC"

Now....

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/7/4/88...-ufc-mma?_ga=1.230550293.886741569.1435079133
"Ronda and Joanna came together yesterday, met for the first time," he continued. "They've never met. So they met for the first time here yesterday and they were hugging each other, 'I couldn't wait to meet you. I couldn't wait to meet you.' It's ******* crazy. It's so cool. When Joanna walked into the room yesterday, all the fighters were pointing at her like 'there she is.'"

Hahahaha, Could we see Ronda and Champion Joanna headline a PPV?
Easy though the two wight divisions apart may be a problem

I was just reading that Melendez failed a drug test for the Alvarez fight...He has been taken off the upcoming card to fight AI.

Didnt see this one coming

I see people were talking about just how good Joanna's stand up is a little while back.

I'd be interested to see a few rds of sparring between the likes of Joanna and Cyborg. Maybe Cyborg at her fighting weight and Joanna not at her fighting weight - just to even the size up a bit.

Screenshot-2.png

Cyborg cuts a large amount of weight to make 145 as evidenced above. She'd be horribly dehydrated at 145 and wouldn't be able to keep up with Joanna at that weight. If they were naturally closer in weight, I think Joanna would be too technical for her.

Screenshot-2.png

Cyborg cuts a large amount of weight to make 145 as evidenced above. She'd be horribly dehydrated at 145 and wouldn't be able to keep up with Joanna at that weight. If they were naturally closer in weight, I think Joanna would be too technical for her.
My point was, in principle - how do people see a sparring session between them going? I tried to steer it as far away from a weight discussion as possible (albeit not very well), and purely from a technical aspect. Ala the JJ/Wonderboy Stephens discussion.

My point was, in principle - how do people see a sparring session between them going? I tried to steer it as far away from a weight discussion as possible (albeit not very well), and purely from a technical aspect. Ala the JJ/Wonderboy Stephens discussion.

No, I got what you meant and answered that I think Joanna would be too technical for Cyborg but I guess I didn't go in to enough detail (and potentially hid that by mentioning the horrific weight cut she'd have to go through). Cyborg's aggression and power make her a handful for any woman in MMA, but in terms of straight striking she's not on the same level as someone like Joanna. I've always thought that Cyborg has a lot of similarities to Wanderlei who often threw technique out the window and was happy to involve himself in wild exchanges in order to land punches and backed his chin to be able to handle whatever was coming back the other way.

All that is not to say that Cyborg is a bad striker at all, but have a look at her muay thai fight against Baars (if you haven't already) to see how she stacks up against a champion striker. She showed a lot of heart in that fight, but was outclassed pretty convincingly and I would expect that Joanna would have similar success against her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dana White still trying to tell everyone that Aldo didn't break his rib. Even though the MRI that was released had multiple doctors say it was a fracture.

Three different doctors according to White (I'm not calling him Dana any more, he ain't my ******* friend) saying it wasn't a fracture. Well who were they, mother******?

This doctor who works for the UFC, Jeff Davidson, is in an article by Kevin Iole (probably sucks up to the UFC slightly less than Helwani) talking about Aldo's injury. This is the same doctor who referred a 24 year old Todd Duffee to a physician because he 'needed' TRT. Duffee's gone on to say that he didn't need TRT (wow, that's a shock).

He wouldn't have opened his mouth about Aldo's rib again if it was Conor or Jones..
thats a bit of my point if there was another organisation that was on level with the UFC can you imagine after Dana threw Jones and Greg Jackson under the bus they just withdrew there services. the amount of fighters he pays out to cause they have something to say he doesnt like

He wouldn't have opened his mouth about Aldo's rib again if it was Conor or Jones..
Jon Jones? That cancelled card had Dana White throwing Jones and Greg Jackson under the bus, while acting as if none of it was the UFC's fault.

McGregor and Rousey are the two fighters that I'm confident he wouldn't talk s**t about right now. Then again, GSP wasn't safe from his s**t after his fight with Hendricks. Nobody's safe unless you act the way the UFC wants you to at all times.

I listened to Sherdog's Beatdown after the Bell for UFC 189. Jordan Breen & Patrick Wyman talked about all the fights. It was really good, they brought up a lot of interesting points.

Something that really stood out was them mentioning how much durability matters in MMA and it's so true. If Lawler didn't have an awesome chin, he'd probably have lost a lot of his recent fights. Crazy that Nick Diaz 1 punch KO'd him.

Watching the fights at the TUF 21 finale made this stand out even more to me. Cezar Ferreira just cannot take a shot at all. Someone with the same skills and athleticism as him, but with a solid chin, would go so much further in the sport than him. It's not like Masvidal doesn't hit hard, but he hadn't KO'd anyone fighting at lightweight for years. Then he moves up to WW, as Ferreira drops from MW, and KO's him with the first solid blows he landed.

Then going back to UFC 189. Imagine if McGregor had the ability to take a punch that Ferreira has. The way he fights wouldn't work at all against decent competition. McGregor can and probably will become better defensively. So far he hasn't needed to be great defensively because his chin is ridiculously good and he overwhelms you with his offensive capabilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back