news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a bit excessive, but it's the third time he's been popped now so he's only got himself to blame.
He's popped 3 times in a way that they can't even prove he used in competition. All they know is that he had it in his system because all they took was a urine sample, not blood. He passed 2 out of the 3 tests he took the night of the fight too. He passed one before the fight and one after the fight. The one he failed was also after the fight, but before the one he passed. Some people probably think he must have had a puff after the fight, but to me what seems likely is that fighting for 5 rounds left him far less hydrated than he was at other times on the night.

but it sends a clear message to all athletes that they need to toe the line or they'll pay dearly which I'm OK with.
This makes no sense to me.

The Americans dont see weed like their Aussie counterparts. Getting busted for weed in America is like getting caught with Herion here....so I have heard :thumbsu:

Not sure if true.

Let's have a look at the inconsistency of the NSAC.

Anderson Silva - Pops for steroids and blames it on a friend getting him some sexual performance pill from Thailand. 1 year ban

Chael Sonnen - Pops for the 3rd time in his career, the 2nd time in weeks. EPO and HGH this time. 2 year ban and offered him a job while they were at it.

Vitor Belfort - Pops for the 2nd time in his career. Was already on TRT, but still managed to inject too much. 1 year ban and they made sure Belfort would fight in Nevada in his next fight.

Floyd Mayweather - They kiss his arse because that'll help line their pockets. Goes deeper than the NSAC, but he even managed to delay his jail/prison sentence so that his fight could go ahead to bring the state and commission money.

Wanderlei Silva - Life ban for evading a test. This was bullshit and was rightfully overturned.

Nick Diaz - Tests positive to marijuana for the 3rd time. Puts forward a strong case and somehow that works against him. Should have knelt at the feet of the commission and accepted his punishment like a good little boy. 5 year ban.

Doing a urine test for in-competition use is stupid to begin with. It's even more absurd that they've punished him so harshly when he passed 2 of the 3 tests on the day. The 2 that he passed were done by the same lab. The 1 that he failed was done by another lab. Interesting. Clean before the fight and a while after the fight. Not clean straight after the fight. Unless he smoked straight after the fight and then it magically left his body an hour later, I don't see how this positive test wasn't disregarded.

The Americans dont see weed like their Aussie counterparts. Getting busted for weed in America is like getting caught with Herion here....so I have heard :thumbsu:

Not sure if true.
I'm not sure if that's true either. I do know that they have very harsh penalties for minor drug offences though. It's all part of their 'war on drugs', which has done nothing good. It's drastically increased their prison population and has unsurprisingly affected poor people a lot more than everyone else. It has also unsurprisingly targeted African-Americans, Latino and Hispanic people more than others.

It's worth pointing out that some states in the US are less strict on marijuana than Australia is. Certain US states have made marijuana 100% legal and some have made it legal as long as it's used medically.

I don't smoke weed, but if alcohol is legal then I don't see why weed isn't.

So peeps, ill put my hand up as a self confess bandwagoner, having floated in out of watching since Brock came on the scene. Having forked out half the house for tickets to 193, want to actually enjoy the sport and show for what it is despite the card.

Signed up to Fight Pass, can anyone suggest some 'must watch' matches/fighters that most true fans would enjoy as a start?

So peeps, ill put my hand up as a self confess bandwagoner, having floated in out of watching since Brock came on the scene. Having forked out half the house for tickets to 193, want to actually enjoy the sport and show for what it is despite the card.

Signed up to Fight Pass, can anyone suggest some 'must watch' matches/fighters that most true fans would enjoy as a start?

Lawler v Mcdonald and anything with Champion Joanna :thumbsu:

Everyone would enjoy these fights, didn't last too long and they're all non-stop action:
- Arlovski vs Browne
- Rivera vs Lineker
- Nick Diaz vs Daley (Strikeforce)
- Frye vs Takayama (Pride FC)

Longer fights that are great (all rather recent too):
- Jones vs Gustafsson
- Aldo vs Mendes 2
- Henderson vs Shogun 1
- Hendricks vs Lawler 1

Fighters:
- Maurício 'Shogun' Rua - Especially his fights in Pride FC.
- Wanderlei Silva - Usually him or his opponent got knocked out. Again, especially his Pride FC bouts.
- Anderson Silva - All his UFC fights except or Cote, Maia and Leites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's the Diaz hearing from the other day. Had read articles about the hearing, but thought I may as well listen to it to form my own view.

It's a garbage system. You have someone defending Diaz and someone trying to get him fined and suspended. That's fair enough, you've got the opposing sides trying to prove who's right. Then you've got the commissioners who aren't neutral and don't care about the facts. They made up their mind beforehand, so this whole 3+ hour hearing was a waste of time and money. The commission is the judge, jury and executioner.

Towards the end they mentioned that Diaz has to pay for the costs associated with the hearing. A hearing that didn't care about the case put forward by his legal team and had made up their mind before it even started. They should have just stopped the hearing before it started and handed down their punishment.

Here's the evidence that the commission didn't care about:
7:12 p.m. drug test - WADA-accredited lab - 49.731 ng/mL. This is well under the limit of 150

10:38 p.m. drug test - non-WADA lab - 733.23 nb/mL

11:55 p.m. drug test - WADA-accredited lab - 61.104 ng/mL

Diaz's legal team made great points that the commission completely ignored. They had a doctor who noted that there's no way he could have consumed enough water to hydrate himself such that the 733.23 figure dropped to 61.104 in the space of 1 hour and 17 minutes. The drug tests also indicated that he was less hydrated when he took the 11:55 test than he was at 7:12.

None of this really mattered though. Disrespect apparently played a large part in him being suspended and fined.

Just avoid anything with Maia and you should be ok
I really enjoy Maia's fights. Technical masterclass of BJJ on the mat whenever he fights, whether he finishes the fight or not. I know a lot of fans wouldn't enjoy his fights and I certainly wouldn't recommend them to Ryz, but I like them.

Here's the Diaz hearing from the other day. Had read articles about the hearing, but thought I may as well listen to it to form my own view.

It's a garbage system. You have someone defending Diaz and someone trying to get him fined and suspended. That's fair enough, you've got the opposing sides trying to prove who's right. Then you've got the commissioners who aren't neutral and don't care about the facts. They made up their mind beforehand, so this whole 3+ hour hearing was a waste of time and money. The commission is the judge, jury and executioner.

Towards the end they mentioned that Diaz has to pay for the costs associated with the hearing. A hearing that didn't care about the case put forward by his legal team and had made up their mind before it even started. They should have just stopped the hearing before it started and handed down their punishment.

Here's the evidence that the commission didn't care about:
7:12 p.m. drug test - WADA-accredited lab - 49.731 ng/mL. This is well under the limit of 150

10:38 p.m. drug test - non-WADA lab - 733.23 nb/mL

11:55 p.m. drug test - WADA-accredited lab - 61.104 ng/mL

Diaz's legal team made great points that the commission completely ignored. They had a doctor who noted that there's no way he could have consumed enough water to hydrate himself such that the 733.23 figure dropped to 61.104 in the space of 1 hour and 17 minutes. The drug tests also indicated that he was less hydrated when he took the 11:55 test than he was at 7:12.

None of this really mattered though. Disrespect apparently played a large part in him being suspended and fined.

That hearing was BS from the start. Didnt watch all of it but watched most of it. From what I can gather, the commission itself is not in any place to hand out penalties as the questions asked proved that there is no legit training or certificates needed to be a tester within the commission. We always knew that there was dodgy stuff going on but the above video proves without a doubt that they had made their mind up before the hearing....The old bloke on the end looked like he fell asleep during the hearing a couple of times.

That hearing was BS from the start. Didnt watch all of it but watched most of it. From what I can gather, the commission itself is not in any place to hand out penalties as the questions asked proved that there is no legit training or certificates needed to be a tester within the commission. We always knew that there was dodgy stuff going on but the above video proves without a doubt that they had made their mind up before the hearing....The old bloke on the end looked like he fell asleep during the hearing a couple of times.
The old man managed to call Diaz 'Mr Ortiz' at one stage. And the commissioners brought up how disrespectful Diaz and his legal team were. lol

Interestingly, I think the old man was the most reasonable when it came to deciding Diaz's punishment. The woman brought up a lifetime ban and maximum fine of 33% of his $500,000 purse. The man 2nd from right said lifetime's a bit much, but it's certainly not 1, 2 or 3 years. Can't remember exactly what the guy 2nd from left said, but I think it was something way too harsh. Can't remember exactly what the old man said, but it didn't stand out as way over the top like the other 3. In the end they went with 5 years, which is basically a lifetime ban, and they went with what they said was the maximum fine available.

I used to watch the interesting PPVs with a couple of mates through Main Event - since moving to Melbourne I haven't yet found a group to do the same thing with.

So I'm sure this question has been asked before, but how long after a PPV are you waiting for it to come up on Fight Pass? I know that the pub down the road shows the PPVs, but I'm quite keen to have a look at some of the undercard talent for the Melbourne show that I haven't seen much of.

Although as I type that... if they're undercard talent, presumably they appear on pre-shows and FS shows... and would go up pretty soon after the event?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back