news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So now that Jon Jones is cleared. Do you think he will fight again and if so who does he fight

Jones should get the winner of DC v Gus. Gus is the tougher fight for him but I don't see the man losing. He's moved to New Mexico permanently and has been training outside of a fight camp which he hadn't done in the past. He's a monster.

PS. Hoping more fighters follow Henry Cejudo's stance and boycott NSAC. Laughable the way they've punished Nick Diaz

Anybody heard of Jaideep Singh? That's the bloke Fedor is fighting in his comeback. Thought it would be a big chance that Fedor gets a favourable match up but I don't even know what to say about this...

Would rather hear Pig Rig complaining about the fans than this fight, you know what I mean?

All that said, he did KO Kharitanov and there is the outside chance that he flattens Fedor.

proberly goes to show how the ufc have had it for such a long time they rarely have to put there hands in there pockets to sign tallent because they are the best of the best. Prob a major reason they couldnt get fedor back in the day. alot of there biggest stars have not been major draws eg Jones and Anderson that they could offer crumbs and try and justify it. I guess the main thing is and they always got you wanna fight the best here it is there is nothing out there. Now we got a few people moving the needle Connor and Ronda its going to be interesting to see what they put out to secure Connor. the MMA landscape is changing only slightly and with a few little pushes advertising and a major court case things are changing its not drastic but its a slow change. yes the other promotions are not as good as the UFC but with a few known names and things just start to happen. IMO its crazy and id love to see a world organisation like other ball sports but it just doesnt happen with combat sports.

Haven't been keeping up with MMA news lately. Am I right in saying that the only thing the UFC has said regarding that Belfort thing is that TRT was tricky and there was no cover up? Okay, case closed :rolleyes:

I guess they're correct in saying that there was no cover up. They tried to cover it up but failed :p

Was trying to find out what Diaz's levels were for his other failed tests. Finally found it. 175 ng/ml when he fought Gomi and 25 ng/ml when he fought Condit. New threshold is 150 ng/ml. The limit being increased to 150 goes to show you how stupid the suspension from the Condit fight was. Some of the commission quotes from the Gomi test failure are hilarious.

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/04/nick-diazs-win-over-takanori-gomi-ruled-a-no-contest
http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012...r-one-year-must-forfeit-30-percent-of-ufc-143

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who the **** is Sage Northcutt and why is he all of the sudden appearing everywhere?
Dana-White-UFC-144-pre-press-3.jpg

I remember there were posts on here about the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight and how boxing wasn't as interesting as MMA or something like that. This weekend Gennady Golovkin's fighting. I doubt any MMA fan would dislike watching his fights. I can't remember who said it but someone in the MMA media called Golovkin 'MMA fans' favourite boxer' and it's so true. I love watching him fight.

Roman Gonzalez is also fighting on the card and he's a lot of fun to watch too. A lot of MMA fans were disappointed in the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight, and I'm pretty sure these two fights will deliver the action that Mayweather/Pacquaio didn't have. Both Gonzalez and Golovkin are big favourites, but the fight's are bound to be exciting.

Rondas mum isnt a fan of her coach

"I would run over him with my car if there wasn't a law against it," De Mars said.

"Every time I go in his gym, he used to say, 'How are you?'" she said. "And I'd say, 'How the * do you think I am? I'm in your f*cking gym and I f*cking hate you.' So now he doesn't ask me how I am anymore."

:D

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/...her-says-daughters-coach-edmond-tarverydan-is

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/...ach-i-would-run-over-him-with-my-car-if-there

A few fighters have retired recently. Soa Palelei, Nick Newell and Jordan Mein are some that have.

Palelei would have had a spot in the UFC for a while longer you would have thought. Always good when someone doesn't stick around way too long, so good on him. Palelei had a good career and it was great to see him pick up a few wins on the biggest stage after losing in Pride and the UFC many years ago.

Mein had a good career that includes some amazing highlights. Only 25 when he retired, but he has been fighting for a very long time. Wouldn't be shocked if he came back in a year or two and this break might do him a lot of good if he does end up coming back.

Newell picked up a win on the weekend and decided to retire afterwards. He had a good career. Got a title shot in WSOF and his only pro loss was to Justin Gaethje, which is nothing to be ashamed of. His accomplishments in the sport are even more impressive considering the disadvantages that come with his disability.

The UFC has recently cut a lot of fighters. They've been constantly expanding over the last few years and now it looks like they might be scaling back a bit.

Purely from my perspective, it would have been good if they slowly increased their events or even kept it constant rather than instantly increased the number of events by a massive amount. I don't know how you could enjoy two events in one day, or three in three days which they're doing in December. Other fans love the huge increase in shows though, so it's all just personal preference.

From the UFC's perspective, this has worked well I guess. They've flooded the market and it's made the UFC even more synonymous with MMA than it was before. Now they can scale back and do more great events and less meh ones.

I don't know how it's gone overall for fighters. It's likely very good for fighters who just barely got into the UFC because of the expanded roster. Someone like Anthony Christodoulou who was completely outmatched in his two UFC fights likely made more money than he could elsewhere. Others who are very good, but aren't getting any attention because of the bloated roster probably aren't fans of it. Aljamain Sterling fits this description.

Terrific fight this morning between Dalby and Till. A draw was a just outcome. Till was brilliant in the 1st round, he simply didn't allow Dalby to get inside his range. Then at the end of the round he dropped Dalby and may have finished the fight if not for the round coming to an end. 2nd round was another good round for Till, but not as good as the 1st. Then Dalby was dominant in the 3rd.

Commentators making sure to refrain from mentioning Medadi's time in prison was funny.

Poirier made the right decision to not fight Parke on a few days notice. I think people still overlook Rick Story because of his loss to Brenneman. The fight made no sense for Poirier to take; a tough guy that you won't get much credit for beating. At the time I said Jones should have fought Sonnen, but now I think expecting him to take that fight was dumb.

Last edited:
Didn't listen to all of Parke's post fight interview, but there was something interesting that he said. He said how he started talking s**t to Medadi to bring more attention to the fight and then he brought up that people like McGregor and Bisping do it. Not the smartest thing to say imo.

Main Event was good. Some really fun scrambles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back