news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

:drunk: < reebok designer when questioned on them hahaha.

I wonder if Dana still thinks its all a great idea.

In case anyone hasn't seen these UFC discipline shirts: http://www.ufcstore.com/league/MMA/team/UFC/search/ufc_discipline/genderagegroup/Mens

The best/worst one has to be the jiu-jitsu one. I have no idea what's meant to be going on.

thumb.aspx

Wondering what everyone thinks about VanZant/Namajunas. I think it's a better fight now as I think VanZant would be able to beat Calderwood quite comfortably. The new fight's tougher to pick, but I think VanZant still wins it.
The judo one looks like hes doing a 'Hadoken!'

Wondering what everyone thinks about VanZant/Namajunas. I think it's a better fight now as I think VanZant would be able to beat Calderwood quite comfortably. The new fight's tougher to pick, but I think VanZant still wins it.

Quite unexpected that they put in Namajunas in for VanZant, considering it seems like they're grooming VanZant and trying to make her one of the future poster women of the UFC. But I think it's made the main event so much better, much tougher fight.

Quite unexpected that they put in Namajunas in for VanZant, considering it seems like they're grooming VanZant and trying to make her one of the future poster women of the UFC. But I think it's made the main event so much better, much tougher fight.
Yeah completely agree with all of this. VanZant/Calderwood was a good fight, but a fight that VanZant should have gone on to win and that's what the UFC would have been hoping for. I think the UFC would still be hoping for a VanZant win, but I don't think they'd be that disappointed if Namajunas wins. She was getting a lot of attention during and after TUF.

:drunk: < reebok designer when questioned on them hahaha.

I wonder if Dana still thinks its all a great idea.
Can't blame Reebok for this one as they had nothing to do with it. Was all the UFC this time. Not sure if that's better or worse haha.

I can't wait for Almeida/Birchak. That fight is going to be so good. I'm a big Almeida fan and I'm a bit worried because it takes Almeida a while to get going defensively. Birchak will probably hit him hard in the 1st few minutes and hopefully Almeida can get through that. From then on I think it'd be all Almeida. I reckon he wins by late TKO or decision.

Magomedov/Burns is so good too. Just watched Magomedov's 1st three UFC fights. He's such a smooth striker and he's so calm. He's outpointing his opponents, but not doing all that much and then he just effortlessly all of a sudden hurts them. He's got terrific takedown defence too. Burns is very good too. If Burns can get Magomedov down then he stands a really good chance of winning by decision or submission. I think Magomedov wins this by keeping it standing and getting the decision. Or it could be a late stoppage.

Haven't watched the Fight Pass Prelims yet. Skelly/Souza was a terrific back and forth fight.

Guida had too much confidence in defending the choke because he shot in without caring about his neck getting grabbed. Case/Cabral was a good, close fight.

Ref ****ed up in Tibau/Trujillo. I don't know what he was thinking as Trujillo was turning out of the choke.

I was expecting Anderson/Maldonado to be even more one-sided and thankfully it wasn't. Maldonado has offered next to no offence in his last two fights. I don't feel too good watching him fight after all the punishment he's taken.

Magomedov/Burns went how I expected. Terrific performance by Magomedov. Burns hasn't been fighting for long and will continue to get better and could probably win this same fight in a couple of years. He just squeaked by Oliveira in his last fight and is a big prospect, so the match-up was a little strange, but it was a great fight on paper even if it was a little early for Burns.

I really like Stann's commentary usually, but his comments during Magomedov fights annoy me. He was saying the same thing in his last fight that he was saying in this one. Sure, Magomedov could have a little more killer instinct, but Stann emphasises the point more than is necessary. Just imagine if Magomedov went all out looking for the finish and got caught in a submission by a terrific grappler in Burns.

Wow. Birchak is tough as hell and Almeida knocked him the * out. I love watching Almeida fight, can't wait to watch him fight again. The UFC could have a one fight card with him fighting and I'd pay to see it.

Cowboy Oliveira's KO was amazing too.

This card was great on paper and it's turning out to be just as great.

Edit: I rewatched Almeida's UFC fights before this card. When I first watched Almeida/Gorman I realised Gorman was tough as hell to go three rounds with him. On rewatch I realised he was even tougher than I thought the first time. Now seeing Almeida do that to Birchak makes it stand out even more still.

Edit 2: As expected Belfort knocked out Henderson. Every time Henderson's been stopped he and a bunch of his fans are upset with the stoppage and I don't expect this will be any different. I have no problem with any of them. The two KOs by Belfort being stopped as soon as they were saved him from being out cold. Both times that was going to happen soon after they were stopped any way.

Last edited:
I agree on Henderson... to a degree.

On one hand, the referee shouldn't stop the fight in anticipation of what he thinks is about to happen.

But on the other hand, another 5-10 seconds was only going to result in Belfort knocking him out cold.

I thought it was probably an early stoppage, but it wasn't one that I have a huge problem with because it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the fight.

Almeida is ghastly. That knockout was kind of scary.

Bunch of Almeida's finishes on the regional scene:

A UFC event with Joanna Jedrzejczyk, Thomas Almeida and Albert Tumenov fighting on the card would be the best thing ever. Actually, add John Lineker in there against Thomas Almeida. Saw people calling for that fight next, Almeida/Lineker would be amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo was laying on the ground and his hands dropped not protecting himself, perfectly timed stoppage. Tibau on the other hand, wtf was that?

I thought that too re Hendo. He just went limp for a split second and seemed to snap back. A ref sees that and it's his job to stop the fight.

The Trujillo stoppage was poor. It kind of did look like he was out, but Stann called it right when he said the ref needs to check the fighter's arm to see if it's limp before stopping it. Silva's win over Dober in similar circumstances was changed to a no contest, so maybe we'll see the same thing here.

Almeida and Oliveira scored amaxing KO's after putting a beating on their opponents. Almeida looks like a future champion, but I hope he isn't rushed in to a title shot. Lineker is a good shout for his next opponent while mmajunkie.com suggested Dodson as his next opponent in their "pick the next match up for the winners" article. Either guy represents a huge step up in competition and would be must see TV. I think he could take Lineker now, but Dodson might be a bit much at the moment.

Both Almeida/Lineker and Almeida/Dodson would be amazing fights. Lineker would be a very tough fight because he has a ridiculously good chin and packs a punch himself. Dodson's the same, he can take a punch and dish it out too. I like that Dodson's back at BW because there's plenty of new, interesting fights for him and if he gets a few wins he's got the Dillashaw win up his sleeve.

Apparently Dodson sent a text to Shelby saying that he wants to fight Almeida. I saw that Aljamain Sterling said something about fighting Almeida too. That'd be a great fight, but I'd like to see them kept away from each other for a while yet. A few more wins and that could be a number 1 contender fight. Also, it would likely be a fun fight but it's not the same type of fun that fights with Lineker or Dodson would be.

And yeah I agree, don't rush Almeida to a title shot. He's still getting better and will be for a while yet. You look at his record and see he's fought 20 times (or 21 times, depending on where you look) and you think he's ready now. The thing is that he fought a lot in a short amount of time. He started fighting almost exactly 4 years ago, so that's 5 fights a year on average and in 2012 he fought 8 times.

Last edited:
Yeah, rewatched the Henderson stoppage and I think it was really good. He went out for a brief moment just as the ref stepped in.

Correct, I thought that was excellent officiating to be honest. He was only going to cop more damage, no point, Hendo was disappointed but he knew it was fair enough.

And Cummins bit off a bit more than he could chew, Glover is a beast, just interested to see if he can take the next step to Jones/DC/Gus. He kind of seems a bit slow in his striking, he hits hard and seems to have good technique, just not sure if the top guys would get caught by anything.

Sterling is one of my favourite prospects and while I think it would be a very interesting fight, I would prefer to see them take different paths. What I'd like to see more than anything is Sterling fight more often. As far as I know he's not suffered any major injuries, yet has fought only 3 times in nearly 2 years in the UFC.

He kind of seems a bit slow in his striking, he hits hard and seems to have good technique, just not sure if the top guys would get caught by anything.

I think Glover is more slow of foot than slow of hand. He plods around a bit, but his hand speed is quite good. He's a bit predictable for mine as Stann pointed out yesterday and visa issues probably ruined his best chance of being a champion. I think he'll likely get thrown in with Gus next in what should be a fun fight.

Cummins is getting rushed into fights with top fighters that are too good for him because the division is so shallow. If he was a LW then he'd be working his way up slowly and improving as he goes. I guess he's 34 already, but lots people who enter MMA late have a typical career progression that most young fighters have. Romero's 38 and he's still getting better each time he fights.

Yeah, got to wonder what Teixeira could have done if he didn't have visa issues and got to the UFC sooner. I thought the Phil Davis fight might have indicated that Teixeira was falling away badly, but that was a one-off where he looked terrible. He's looked pretty good in his last two fights. I think he's sort of a top 4-6 guy and will stick around there for a while. I think Gustafsson/Teixeira was meant to happen before and that'd be a good fight to see next.

Sterling's got a fight scheduled now with Johnny Eduardo. Unfortunately it's buried on the Fight Pass prelims on the Paige and Sage show. Just looking at it now and the whole card's a Fight Pass card so the prelims vs main card stuff doesn't matter one bit here. I thought they'd want to have Paige and Sage on TV.

Last edited:
Ha, I forgot about his next fight being buried deep on that card! The guy is 3-0 and is fighting a guy who brutally KO'd Wineland, yet they take a backseat to a guy with 1 UFC fight and a jobber who likely gets cut after his next loss.
Now that I've seen the whole thing is on Fight Pass I don't mind too much. Could have made it a 5 fight main card to give Sterling and Eduardo a bit more attention though. And Sterling/Eduardo being in the middle of the prelims, if wiki is right, is weird.

It makes sense that Northcutt is getting all this attention because people just seem to really care about him so much for some reason. However, it's annoying that someone who's clearly going to get a lot of attention is getting pushed so much and someone who would benefit greatly from it isn't getting any push.

At least Shammy shouldnt get KO'd in this fight. Royce fighting again is a surprise, has he fought since the Hughes fight?

I'm OK with Dada getting a shot. He's never going to amount to much as a fighter, but I was impressed with him as a person in Dawg Fight so am happy to see him get a chance to make some money. Check it out of you haven't, it's about the backyard fighting circuit that came off the back of Kimbo's popularity.

Royce won a rematch against Sakuraba a year later on a K-1 show in LA but got popped for nandrolone. California's commission had no authority at the time to overturn the result so it's still listed as a win for Gracie. Lesnar also made his MMA debut on the same event.

I'm totally on board with Bellator doing these freak show fights too. The more the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back