news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I love MMA. I love the UFC and I practice BJJ. I love watching the sport in general as it has become the adequate substitution for the once famous Boxing.

So I open up the paper today here in sunny old Adelaide, and what do I see? None other than the Graham Cornes...old G Cornsey.. proclaiming that the poor old sap "Paid for this bloody sport. Never again". The UFC is a diabolical sport that devalues us as a society and we must ban it to protect ourselves...from OURSELVES - according to old balls Cornsey.

I could go on forever to destroy your ridiculous theory as to why the world should boycott the UFC and mixed martial arts in general; but I would waste precious study time. You are what is wrong with this world. Something is out of the norm, exciting to watch, makes millions of dollars and wee bit dangerous (as are most sports as they all bare a certain risk) so what do we do?.......WE MUST BAN IT!!1!!!1!

Without a doubt some dinosaurs will surely rally behind him because they disagree with the ancient sport of martial arts and they do not wear bubblewrap. But if you don't like it, watch Murder She Wrote and Matlock from your prehistoric days instead. It's on repeat everyday to keep you away from this wonderful sport.

Cornsey, it's here to stay and we will continue to support it. So please, GAGF.

first fight in ufc mexico were the judges drunk? I get it's a small fight but heck cage control is not chasing the other fighter around the ring an getting punched in the face :drunk:

first fight in ufc mexico were the judges drunk? I get it's a small fight but heck cage control is not chasing the other fighter around the ring an getting punched in the face :drunk:
Haven't seen the fight, so can't comment on it. What I do know is that this sounds like good news for Diego Sanchez later on. That's how he wins all his fights of late. :p

Also, maybe Rousey was trying to win a decision in this manner. ;)

That was ******* stupid. Reminded me of that Jamie Varner fight where he couldn't move properly because he badly hurt his ankle I think. Yes, Jorgensen was still fighting and throwing punches, but he couldn't do anything significant because he was on one leg. He had a 1% chance or less of doing anything that could win him the fight.

His corner should have stopped it. * them. He was never going to win. That was ******* awful to watch. Now he might be more injured than he would have been if they had stopped it.

Another thing on corners. Look at how happy Holm's corner was after she beat Rousey and then you go back and watch Holm getting absolutely brutalised by Anne Sophie Mathis and Winkeljohn doesn't stop it. It's just so weird to me how you can have such a strong relationship with someone that them winning is the greatest thing ever but seeing them getting horrendously beaten doesn't cause you to stop a fight.

I guess I can't understand it partially because of how much in the other direction I'd be. I'd be a s**t cornerman because I'd be stopping the fight if I'm good friends with the fighter as soon as someone is in any sort of trouble.

I've seen a bit of back and forth on twitter about whether the ref should have stopped it because Jorgensen may have been 'intelligently defending himself'. If it's wrong in the rules for a referee to stop the fight when a fighter is hobbling around the cage like that, then that needs to be changed ASAP.

Just think the idea that the ref is there to protect the fighter is put to the side sometimes. SJ was never going to win that and in the end he dropped and tapped from the pain. I agree...its a tough one for the refs

Lapilus has a lot of upside. I think by the end of his career he'll end up being a better fighter than Perez. I believe he took this fight on short notice, and dropping for the choke and not getting it in the 2nd round is what lost him the fight. He'd just hurt Perez, if he backed up and kept it standing he'd probably have won the round and could have got a stoppage. He'll make better decisions With experience, age and more time in the gym.

Obviously it's very easy to say that from where I'm sitting. And if he had got the submission we'd all be saying how good it was that he dropped for it.

If anyone hasn't seen that Holm fight I mentioned earlier, don't watch it. It's awful. Holm went on to beat her in a rematch though.

The fight went on way longer than it needed to. I watched it ages ago and forgot how terrible the ref was at the end.

Here's the end of the fight.

Ref: Oh you're stuck on the ropes because you're done? Nah, I'll unhook you from the ropes and let you take some more punishment. Why not?

Perez.got taken out by Williams from memory who punches like me after three beers,
watching that fight it's funny if you want to make it far (ufc) you got to knock guys out not sit ontop of them an kiss them.. look at jakey matthews last week show you how to make a fight

but good luck to him he just earnt more money in one fight then i'll earn in my life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea why my post with the Holm gif goes on and on and on and on. Haha

Anyway, it's pretty amazing how good Cejudo is at this stage of his MMA career. He's gone in there and beaten good fighters who are way more experienced than him. At this stage I'd give Cejudo little chance of beating Mighty Mouse. In a couple of years he'd probably stand a much better chance. He won't get that though because the division desperately needs challengers for the title and he must be next in line.

Jorgensen and a coach of his are on twitter telling the know nothing reporters to shut up or something like that.

I've calmed down a bit and can think more clearly about it now. After 30 seconds of the 2nd round it was clear that he had no chance of winning. Before I said a 1% chance, but that was being generous. He couldn't throw strikes with any power and he couldn't attempt takedowns with any seriousness. At best he was going to lose a decision and probably get badly beaten up. What's the point of the fight continuing when you're hobbling around and have no chance of winning?

Sanchez was a really fun fighter at one stage, but nothing's fun about his fights any more to me. He should be 0-7 in his last 7 fights. And he's so tough that he's getting beat up pretty badly every fight, but still going 3 full rounds every time. I hope he retires.

Very close fight. Was a good fight too. First two and last two were really clear. 3rd one was very close. Could have gone either way. Magny has really come a long way since TUF.

reckon home town vote comes into play.
Why? I can't think of many hometown bogus decisions in the UFC. Plus, nobody says this when it's in America and that'd be the worst for it. American judges in America. This fight was American judges in Mexico.

Actually, now that I think about it. I was just thinking in terms of rounds won. Which is 3-2 Gastelum or 3-2 Magny. But the 4th could easily be a 10-8, opening up a draw if you gave Magny the 1st three rounds. 48-47 Magny, 48-47 Gastelum and 47-47 all look fine to me. Would have to rewatch it with an eye on scoring.

agree i'm stunned they didn't score the 4th 10-8 two knock downs.. the 3rd was all magny in that he gastelem againt the fence fair bit... missed the final judge scores what were they??

magny is so raw can be anything imo... that jab is a real gem, more up punches would be nice an elbows! that last fight saved the card but was a real muh 12 fights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back