General motorsport news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching highlights of the Australian GT race in NZ this weekend. I see on Facebook, all of the 'GT will take over I couple of years' and 'Stuff this I'm gonna go watch the GTs'. There is only 1 GT race in Australia that people really care about, and that is the 12 Hour. All the Australian GT championship is, is just a bunch of old men with money and a few younger stars. This weekend they had Garth Tander, Craig Lowndes and Shane Van Gisbergen, but if they want to become a real force towards V8Supercars, they need rid of all of the Gentleman drivers and get the real drivers in.

Judging by the thread all over the internet, few care about the v8sc series and are only interested in Bathurst. You can't press a button and piss the amateur drivers off out of there. So while the GT series will get less attention, the B12h is steadily growing. It possibly may become the biggest race in domestic motorsport.

Rather than following v8sc. The typical Australian motorsport fan seem to be a F1 follower, who also follows Bathurst. What "Bathurst" is referred to in the future remains to be seen.

Judging by the thread all over the internet, few care about the v8sc series and are only interested in Bathurst. You can't press a button and piss the amateur drivers off out of there. So while the GT series will get less attention, the B12h is steadily growing. It possibly may become the biggest race in domestic motorsport.

Rather than following v8sc. The typical Australian motorsport fan seem to be a F1 follower, who also follows Bathurst. What "Bathurst" is referred to in the future remains to be seen.
I used to follow V8SC more, but I really don't like the way they run multiple point-scoring races each weekend now. Would prefer the old system, just one race in each location. I'm sure the new way makes them more money, and I know the V8s are gaining a pretty big international following among those who are really into all their motorsport (though probably not among your average person who just watches NFL or Premier League and not much else), but I'd still find it easier to follow if they went back to one race.

Also have been getting into it a little more since Bathurst this year because Volvo.

Italian karting giant Birel has designed ADR his own brand of kart.

10351457_740855709325545_8492541559636837488_n.jpg

Network Ten and Foxtel are poised to jointly hold the Australian television rights for the Formula 1 World Championship in a multi-year deal from 2016.

The yet-to-be-announced move will follow the existing MotoGP and new-for-2015 V8 Supercars co-broadcasting arrangements between the two networks.

Like MotoGP, the new F1 contract is expected to see each grand prix simulcast live on both stations, with qualifying and extended pre and post-race packages exclusive to the subscription service.

http://bit.ly/1ygFgDD

Mark Webber has just been in a horrifying accident at the WEC in São Paulo, Pulled out of car and placed on stretcher, gave thumbs up as he was lead away on stretcher

Edit: better video attached

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's okay people.

Edit: Might've gone slightly early on this. He gave the thumbs up but apparently they're still awaiting official confirmation he's all good. There doesn't seem to be too much worry in the paddock so it seems like he'll be okay, but awaiting official word.

Last edited:
Sounds like he's okay, and that the hospital stay is just precautionary.

Porsche LMP1 boss Fritz Enzinger was more forthcoming on Webber's condition.

"Mark is OK, but he has had to go to hospital for further checks," he told AUTOSPORT.

I just think rallying as a sport is a bit undervalued. I love it, but coverage here is poor and the big charismatic names of the past arent there. Id love the event here but those 2 events take up a fair bit of sports funding in the state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back