General Problems Thread: 2009 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

When I turn my computer on it displays on the monitor in normal ratio. However, if I leave it to automatically go into sleep mode (the mode where it is still kind of on standby to turn back on) when I do turn it back on the screen res is wrecked, everything is zoomed in and weird. Restarting the computer fully fixes the resolution again. Any idea's?

When I turn my computer on it displays on the monitor in normal ratio. However, if I leave it to automatically go into sleep mode (the mode where it is still kind of on standby to turn back on) when I do turn it back on the screen res is wrecked, everything is zoomed in and weird. Restarting the computer fully fixes the resolution again. Any idea's?

Update your display drivers

This happens to me once in a while. I've found its a Origin issue for me.

Have not seen this issue posted elsewhere on this forum but if it has been my apologies for the repeat.

I am have an occasional issue with the keystrokes on my keyboard.

When I type @ I occasionally get " and when I type # I get an English pound sign.

This occasional problem rectifies itself when I reboot. I did not notice it when I was using Windows 7 but it is there in Windows 8.1.

I have Googled the problem and it appears to be quite common. Most answers suggest it is a language setting issue in Windows but I have checked my language settings and they show English(Australia). I have also checked the keyboard driver and it is up to date.

I have a Microsoft keyboard and have Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Centre installed.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem or has any clues.

Sounds more like a keyboard language issue. You need US English keyboard layout. You might have the UK version as the default.

I had a look at the language settings after I kept getting the pound sign and thought I maybe had English settings but the settings are OK. In any case if the language settings were not set correctly I would expect to get the same problem every time I type. I suspect that this may be a Windows 8.1 problem which the Gates Empire has not yet fixed because a lot of people seem to encounter it.

So far it has not been a huge issue as it has only happened twice and both times a re boot has fixed it but it is annoying that I cannot find the fix. Somewhere there has to be an answer.

I had a look at the language settings after I kept getting the pound sign and thought I maybe had English settings but the settings are OK. In any case if the language settings were not set correctly I would expect to get the same problem every time I type. I suspect that this may be a Windows 8.1 problem which the Gates Empire has not yet fixed because a lot of people seem to encounter it.

So far it has not been a huge issue as it has only happened twice and both times a re boot has fixed it but it is annoying that I cannot find the fix. Somewhere there has to be an answer.

Try uninstalling Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Centre and see if the problem reoccurs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try uninstalling Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Centre and see if the problem reoccurs

Thanks dav3, that was my next move. The problem is not ongoing it has only happened twice in the last week so I am not going to know instantly if any suggestion works. If the problem occurs sometime soon I will uninstall MS K&M centre.

@@@@@@@ just testing lol.

Sorry if already asked which is likely.

Free Microsoft office download?
Excel, Word ect is only what i really need.

Windows 8.

What are some good links or downloads you have used for these?

Dont really want to buy anything.

Not sure there is a free MS Office download. Sounds like you only need the Home & Student edition. That will give you Word, Excel but will not give you Outlook. If you use Outlook for your email you will need to get Home & Business. You can purchase Office H&S for around $129.00 on line or H&B for around $268.00 online from Officeworks.

Like most corporates Microsoft are trying to push everyone towards an annual subscription fee. For Office 365 Personal the annual fee is $89.00. For Office 365 Home the fee is 119.00 but Home allows multi device use.

If you want free word processing software then Apache Open Office is probably as good as it gets although I have never used it. maybe someone who has used Open Office will comment.

Sorry if already asked which is likely.

Free Microsoft office download?
Excel, Word ect is only what i really need.

Windows 8.

What are some good links or downloads you have used for these?

Dont really want to buy anything.

Seriously, if you're after a cracked copy there are enough well known sites out there where you can easily find it. Or you could just NOT be lazy and do a simple Google search :rolleyes:

If you want free word processing software then Apache Open Office is probably as good as it gets although I have never used it. maybe someone who has used Open Office will comment.
LibreOffice is better than OpenOffice in my opinion. Both are fine alternatives to MS Office.

Seriously, if you're after a cracked copy there are enough well known sites out there where you can easily find it. Or you could just NOT be lazy and do a simple Google search :rolleyes:

Thanks for not helping.

Ive had a look through google before i posted. Was just wondering which ones people have had good experiences with ect

But if your not willing to help then why bother replying.

This is a forum where you ask questions and ask questions for general problems isnt it?

I dont even know what a cracked copy is, does that show how non tech savy i am? Thats why i needed help.

But you dont seem bothered in providing it.

Thanks for not helping.

Ive had a look through google before i posted. Was just wondering which ones people have had good experiences with ect

But if your not willing to help then why bother replying.

This is a forum where you ask questions and ask questions for general problems isnt it?

I dont even know what a cracked copy is, does that show how non tech savy i am? Thats why i needed help.

But you dont seem bothered in providing it.

I "don't seem bothered" because Microsoft Office is a licensed application, so common sense dictates that asking for illegal copies on a public forum is a little stupid..... not to mention against the rules.

I "don't seem bothered" because Microsoft Office is a licensed application, so common sense dictates that asking for illegal copies on a public forum is a little stupid..... not to mention against the rules.
Why not say that in the first response.

Didnt know it was against the rules, licensed ect. You need to understand there are people that have no idea like myself in regards to things like this.

So seems you cant get a 'free' copy. Cool.

I am just doing random things on my laptop, and my laptop will stop everything, blue screen with some writing on it I can't catch and then fully restart. This has happened 3 times. Anyone with any idea's of what is causing this and how to fix it.

I am just doing random things on my laptop, and my laptop will stop everything, blue screen with some writing on it I can't catch and then fully restart. This has happened 3 times. Anyone with any idea's of what is causing this and how to fix it.

If you are running Windows 8 you can view a log of all BSOD events in the Event Viewer. To get to this simply right click the Start Up icon at bottom left of screen then select Event Viewer. You will get a log of all Critical, Error and Warning events on your computer. In this view is possible to read the blue screen messages. I am not sure if you can do this in earlier versions of Windows but someone on this forum will know. You can also pause the Blue Screen using Windows and even BIOS settings but it is not as simple. With BSOD unless you know what you are doing is always best to employ the KISS principle.

A couple of weeks back I kept getting BSOD events so I went into Event Viewer and copied and pasted the Critical Event messages then took them and my computer to my local geek who ran a check on my RAM. You guessed it I had a faulty RAM stick. Not suggesting bad RAM is your problem but repeated BSOD usually means a major issue. Windows does have a RAM check but it is really only a toy and will often tell you that the RAM is OK when it is not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back