General Problems Thread: 2009 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really sure where to ask this so I'll try here first. I have Photoshop CS6 and for some reason it won't open mp4 files. Questions are;

1) Does anyone know how to make CS6 open mp4 files?
2) If not does anyone know of a good, cheap (read as free) video converter?

Try Handbrake. Works extremely well with a wide range of formats

This is a bit of an obscure one but I figured I might as well post tn incase someone had seen it before. I left my PC on for a while and came back to find a BSOD with a 0xc000021a error code, now I can't boot into Windows at all (even safe mode). Microsoft says it's related to corrupt system files but their fixes involve actually getting into Windows. I've run CHKDSK over the SSD and found nothing, the built in repair doesn't work, tried a restore point from last week, ran some BOOTREC commands to fix the Master Boot Record etc., and so far nothing. Googling the issue brings up plenty of results but most of them relate to a crash within Windows itself (not on boot), and the one or two I've found that did have the boot issue didn't have a solution.

I didn't have a copy of the install media at home so I'm grabbing that from work now to see if running the repair off that makes a difference, along with a DaRT disk. Other than that I think I'm running out of options and might have to reinstall and hope it's not a hardware issue.

Anyone seen this issue before? Or have any other ideas?

Haven't come across that (and hope I never do), had a quick google, have you tried to force drivers to have signature disabled? Some seem to think it's been caused by a window update and disabling the driver signature seems to have helped with a number of people.

Haven't come across that (and hope I never do), had a quick google, have you tried to force drivers to have signature disabled? Some seem to think it's been caused by a window update and disabling the driver signature seems to have helped with a number of people.

Yeah I saw that last night and I'm pretty sure I tried it, but I might give it another shot just in case.

Yep, no luck disabling the driver signatures. At this point I reckon it's going to be easier to rebuild it, games/steam are stored on another drive and I backed up my data to my server last night, so I reckon I'll be spending tonight starting from scratch over a couple of drinks.

Really odd problem to come across, massive pain in the ass - well I hate having to format/install everything again so I avoid it as much as I possibly can.

Really odd problem to come across, massive pain in the ass - well I hate having to format/install everything again so I avoid it as much as I possibly can.

Yeah I've asked around at work (I work in IT) and no one has ever seen it before, at this point I'm just hoping it's an OS issue and not a hardware one. It's a bit annoying but I also don't mind giving PCs a bit of a refresh sometimes, when you're installing/uninstalling software all the time things get a little messy. Looks like this build was from August 2013 so it's had a decent run.

One thing I've learnt from this though..... I really need to upgrade my case :$ Mine would be close to 10 years old, it wasn't a bad case back in it's day but cable management is non-existent, trying to rip the SSD out of it took way too long.

Yeah I think it would surely have to be an OS problem with what you've described, think there would be a more obvious sign if it was a hardware fault (could always try a bootable OS from USB if you really wanted to test it).

I recently upgraded to a 250gb SSD from a 128GB one and given I hate the whole phase of getting it to feel like 'my pc' I cloned the drive from one to the other just to avoid that part.

Would also like a new case, find mine is poor to cable manage with as well although I doubt I've got the same excuse as you. I've got a Cosmos S so it's a massive case, but they left very little room at the back of the case so I could never get the door to shut if I tried to put a few cables behind it (also got 8 hard drives in it as well which doesn't help, nothing comes out, I just add to it :D). Would like to get a new case where the HDD bay faced the other direction as it's a bit easier to make things neater with all the HDD cables.

Yeah I think it would surely have to be an OS problem with what you've described, think there would be a more obvious sign if it was a hardware fault (could always try a bootable OS from USB if you really wanted to test it).

I recently upgraded to a 250gb SSD from a 128GB one and given I hate the whole phase of getting it to feel like 'my pc' I cloned the drive from one to the other just to avoid that part.

Would also like a new case, find mine is poor to cable manage with as well although I doubt I've got the same excuse as you. I've got a Cosmos S so it's a massive case, but they left very little room at the back of the case so I could never get the door to shut if I tried to put a few cables behind it (also got 8 hard drives in it as well which doesn't help, nothing comes out, I just add to it :D). Would like to get a new case where the HDD bay faced the other direction as it's a bit easier to make things neater with all the HDD cables.

Yeah once it's built I might look at making a recovery image to speed things up a little..... although I reckon the next time I'll have to rebuild will be because I've upgraded so it might be pointless.

Indeed, this Coolermaster Centurion 5 I've got now doesn't even have the slots in the tray to let you run cables, then again it was released in 2004 so it probably wasn't a common feature back then, at least for lower end cases. The Fractal Designs R5 (or the older R4) is looking good right now, reasonably priced and you can run everything under the motherboard tray, there are even SSD mounts on the back of the tray. Might have to grab one when I finally get a free weekend.

Having a problem with a rogue Microsoft update that causes my computer to hang on my notebook computer. It's that update that freezes on the stage 3 of 3 configuration. I can't seem to reboot it and when I turn the computer off then back on it seems to pick up where it left off which means that all it does is reboot the computer over and over again. Any ideas?

Having a problem with a rogue Microsoft update that causes my computer to hang on my notebook computer. It's that update that freezes on the stage 3 of 3 configuration. I can't seem to reboot it and when I turn the computer off then back on it seems to pick up where it left off which means that all it does is reboot the computer over and over again. Any ideas?
Actually had that at work with a couple of laptops that were getting stuck on that. I just held the off button for 10 seconds and turned it back on to fix it for myself but if you're trying to boot into safe mode and that's still not working, not sure how you'd go about fixing that.

Edit: Read hitting control alt delete on that stage 3 should bring up a log in screen as per normal as well, might be worth a shot.

Actually had that at work with a couple of laptops that were getting stuck on that. I just held the off button for 10 seconds and turned it back on to fix it for myself but if you're trying to boot into safe mode and that's still not working, not sure how you'd go about fixing that.

Edit: Read hitting control alt delete on that stage 3 should bring up a log in screen as per normal as well, might be worth a shot.

Cheers.

Managed to fix it this morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bit of an obscure one but I figured I might as well post tn incase someone had seen it before. I left my PC on for a while and came back to find a BSOD with a 0xc000021a error code, now I can't boot into Windows at all (even safe mode). Microsoft says it's related to corrupt system files but their fixes involve actually getting into Windows. I've run CHKDSK over the SSD and found nothing, the built in repair doesn't work, tried a restore point from last week, ran some BOOTREC commands to fix the Master Boot Record etc., and so far nothing. Googling the issue brings up plenty of results but most of them relate to a crash within Windows itself (not on boot), and the one or two I've found that did have the boot issue didn't have a solution.

I didn't have a copy of the install media at home so I'm grabbing that from work now to see if running the repair off that makes a difference, along with a DaRT disk. Other than that I think I'm running out of options and might have to reinstall and hope it's not a hardware issue.

Anyone seen this issue before? Or have any other ideas?

Did you try this Easy Recovery Essentials thingy?

https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000021a/

I'm not paying $20 US for some dodgy "recovery" tool :) i also tried all the things listed on the bottom of the page too. I ended up just rebuilding the thing.

Yeah fair enough. There have been times I had to rebuild when I would've gladly paid $20 to salvage the install. Takes me three days to get everything the way I want it again.

Okay random expert people.... I have an HP omen which is pretty good for gaming... have been using it on GTA and Dragon Age working fine, until today where ive turned it on and both games are running at 2-5 fps instead of the usual 60... any solutions or easy fix rather than an attempt at recovering it?

Okay random expert people.... I have an HP omen which is pretty good for gaming... have been using it on GTA and Dragon Age working fine, until today where ive turned it on and both games are running at 2-5 fps instead of the usual 60... any solutions or easy fix rather than an attempt at recovering it?

Run any built-in diagnostics it may have in case it's a hardware fault
Check task manager to see if anything is chewing resources in the background
Reinstall graphics drivers, maybe try reference drivers instead of manufacturer specific drivers

I guess you've tried something basic like pausing it for a few seconds and then playing to see if it fixes it? Even rewinding it a few seconds then playing it can fix it I've noticed.

Other then that, I'm not sure you've got any powers on the TV end to actually slow down/speed up the audio which I assume is in sync when you play it on a computer.

I guess you've tried something basic like pausing it for a few seconds and then playing to see if it fixes it? Even rewinding it a few seconds then playing it can fix it I've noticed.

Other then that, I'm not sure you've got any powers on the TV end to actually slow down/speed up the audio which I assume is in sync when you play it on a computer.
Yeah tried that. I assume it's actually the tv and the way it's made. It's pretty annoying.

A friend of mine has a soniq 42" Full HD LCD tv. Whenever we connect an external hard drive into the USB port, it reads everything fine and plays the film but the audio seems to be out of sync with the video. Anyway to correct this?

There is an av sync setting in some tvs. Its to counter the delay that some amplifiers cause (in that case you delay the video by an amount so that the audio can run through your amp). Keep an eye out for it. My old man has a Hisense Vision TV and either TV or Hard drive movies were always out of sync by a noticeable difference.

Firmware update solved the issue in that case

There is an av sync setting in some tvs. Its to counter the delay that some amplifiers cause (in that case you delay the video by an amount so that the audio can run through your amp). Keep an eye out for it. My old man has a Hisense Vision TV and either TV or Hard drive movies were always out of sync by a noticeable difference.

Firmware update solved the issue in that case
Ah cool! Thanks I'll see if I can suss that out next time.

I have wanted to see if I can update the firmware but they don't have wifi at home...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back