General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Heartbreaking.

The Packers were ripe for the picking and we had our chances. Some dumb errors and play calling at key moments. Not sure about that call on Dez Bryant. Hopefully gets as much scrutiny as the retracted pass interference call last week.

Great season overall Dallas - no one expected us to get this far and we carried a pretty ordinary defence all the way to the divisional round. It just caught up with us in the end.

Feels like a long way to get back to this point though. Need to sign Bryant and Murray.

Apart from being a great Socceroos fan, Aaron Rodgers is one hell of a QB.

Yeah, had to switch off before Joe Buck started pleasuring himself in the commentary box, but Rodgers deserves kudos for that effort. Gutsy.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking.

The Packers were ripe for the picking and we had our chances. Some dumb errors and play calling at key moments. Not sure about that call on Dez Bryant. Hopefully gets as much scrutiny as the retracted pass interference call last week.

Great season overall Dallas - no one expected us to get this far and we carried a pretty ordinary defence all the way to the divisional round. It just caught up with us in the end.

Feels like a long way to get back to this point though. Need to sign Bryant and Murray.

Oh it will get the blowtorch placed on that call. Sportscenter already talking about it and will be for a while.

FWIW, I think it was the right call, but heck, that is how close the game was.

Dallas have had a fantastic year, anyone predicting they would be playing today at the start of the season would have been carried away in a straight jacket. They proved everyone wrong. Wow, if the Jets could win half as many games next season I would be happy. (scratch that, I'll be happy as long as we do not draft Winston)

I have really been looking forward to the two games today all week. IMO, the best 3 QB's all playing (sorry Romo).. Now on to the Luck v Manning game!!

PS - Sportscenter saying that by the letter of the law - correct decision, but whether the law is right is questionable. I reckon that is a really fair assessment.

PS - Sportscenter saying that by the letter of the law - correct decision, but whether the law is right is questionable. I reckon that is a really fair assessment.

Yeah, I can agree with that. It is probably technically right, but it felt wrong in a "good for the spectacle of the game" sense. Hell of a play by Bryant regardless.

In terms of the NFC Championship, Dallas and Green Bay both looked very, very tired and banged up, and the Seahawks looked very fresh yesterday.

Reckon whoever won today was set for a hiding next week.

The Pete Carroll fan in me hopes that you are right, but I would love to see Rodgers in the Superbowl again.

Peyton's opening drive ends in a TD... Terrible penalty given away by the Colts to keep the drive going. Can't give Peyton a second chance!!

Yeah, I can agree with that. It is probably technically right, but it felt wrong in a "good for the spectacle of the game" sense. Hell of a play by Bryant regardless.

Reckon most will disagree with the spirit of the law. The Pats had a similar call yesterday I think in the first that could have been quite critical.

Don't think Detroit were too disappointed with the call.....

Whether or not you're a soccer fan, it's definitely worth getting along to one of Iran's remaining group matches in Sydney and Brisbane. The Persian fans create an incredible atmosphere.

Particularly you Brisbane-based sports fans (and there might be one or two here) who get to watch Iran play the exciting UAE team.

Whether or not you're a soccer fan, it's definitely worth getting along to one of Iran's remaining group matches in Sydney and Brisbane. The Persian fans create an incredible atmosphere.

Particularly you Brisbane-based sports fans (and there might be one or two here) who get to watch Iran play the exciting UAE team.

Was thinking about going to the game on Friday night with Iraq and Japan but may check out the Iran game as well. for $15 they're not bad value for the cheap seats

My bad... Sportscenter reported it otherwise, but yeah, that's what you get for believing everything.. :$

Respect to Brett Lee on a great career.

Frustrated me at first for being extremely inconsistent and expensive (which was extra frustrating when McGrath was giving the batsmen absolutely nothing at the other end) but went on to carve out a very good career in all forms. Great attitude and role model to boot (gentleman off the pitch/ferocious competitor on the pitch) which along with his barbie doll look made him a marketing dream for Cricket Australia.

Good on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Test cricketer. At his best, he was a very good Test cricketer. But it is hard to be considered elite at Test level with an average over 30 but his strike rate was remarkable. Like most players, his figures suffer against the better sides - averaged 32 against India, nearly 35 v SA and 40 against England.

Having said that, I'd call him an elite limited overs bowler. Nearly 2 wickets a game and kept his economy rate under 5. That is pretty remarkable. In fact, I'd probably put him in the best 5 Australian one day bowlers that I've seen.

Burst onto the Test scene and got a clutch of wickets through his surprising pace. Was hot and cold for years as he hadn't yet developed the smarts and discipline for consistent bowling. Towards the end (esp Sri Lanka series in Aust) he looked an excellent spearhead, marrying pace with consistent bowling - a shame this period was cut short by injury. Not in the upper echelon of Test bowlers, but anyone with 300+ test wickets deserves respect.

Amazing limited overs bowler though. Struck frequently at the top of innings.

The "chainsaw" always got the blood pumping after a crucial wicket too.
043622.jpg

The "chainsaw" always got the blood pumping after a crucial wicket too.
043622.jpg

Was much better than the jump-in-the-air-and-clcik-your-heels-together celebration. He may as well have done some finger-clicking moves from Westside Story.

Remember him routing the Windies on Day 1 of a Gabba test going back a bit. Was a good day mon.

Agree with most of the comments regarding Brett Lee. Was one of my favourite players. Always felt a bit like his bowling action resembled my own as a young quick:cool:.

He was a remarkable one day player, probably the best limited overs quick Aust has produced. Hows this for stats - 381 wickets - 8th overall; best Aussie in that list is McGrath at 7th who has 1 more wicket than Lee but played 29 more games. Lee's career ODI SR of 29 is phenomenal, and the best of anyone in the world with more than 150 wickets.

For a period I wondered if he would cut it a Test level. As with most things hard work, patience and determination led to success. Funnily enough it is with the bat at Edgebaston in 2005 that will be my best memory of his career. Almost steering Aust to victory, falling short and the image of Flintoff consoling him. Brilliant!

Playing as a bowler during the McGrath-Warne era was a blessing and a curse. You got to ride along with them but were often judged against their impossibly high standards.

Poor Stuart McGill... not even his own TV show about wine was all that good compared to Warney's advertisements for Sportsbet

I'd really like to see a SA V Aus World Cup final. In all but subcontinental conditions, I think those two sides are streets ahead.

Reckon NZ and the Windies might be dark horses though. NZ are playing well and have a lot of home games. And If Gayle fires, the Windies might surprise.

Good Test cricketer. At his best, he was a very good Test cricketer. But it is hard to be considered elite at Test level with an average over 30 but his strike rate was remarkable. Like most players, his figures suffer against the better sides - averaged 32 against India, nearly 35 v SA and 40 against England.

Having said that, I'd call him an elite limited overs bowler. Nearly 2 wickets a game and kept his economy rate under 5. That is pretty remarkable. In fact, I'd probably put him in the best 5 Australian one day bowlers that I've seen.

One of the Big Bash games last week. Whoever they were playing had plenty of wickets left after 19 overs & were going the tonk. On comes Brett Lee - cant remember the batsman, but he was no mug - & he could not lay a bat on the first 3 balls. The over wound up costing 2 runs. A 38 year old. Amazing.

Played the game the way it was meant to be played. Well done Brett Lee.

There's a part of me hoping the Socceroos lose tonight so we get a Brisbane QF against China... (I've already bought tickets in anticipation)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back