General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a part of me hoping the Socceroos lose tonight so we get a Brisbane QF against China... (I've already bought tickets in anticipation)
I bought them with 5 minutes left tonight... kept them in the checkout until the final whistle..

$30... bargain.. less than tonights game

Same ground that we lost when setting 434 in the first innings in 2006.

Small field, but whao... 149 off 44 balls.... Holy heck.

Wow, what comeback by Seattle..:eek:

Pure BS. Would much rather Packers over Seattle, but much much rather either over Pats.
100% agree with you there.

Can't stand the Patriots...

Pete Carroll's USC ties has me supporting them in the Superbowl (and they are not the Patriots), but I would 1,000 times preferred a Pakers v Colts game

I saw a headline "Vince Wilfork pulls woman from overturned vehicle" and my brain went "Nah, surely you've misread that, it's an NFL player so that must be _punches woman_." :eek:

Hewitt's 19th Australian Open.....

No matter what you think of Lleyton, it is a sensational effort.

Hope he can win through a couple of rounds!!

Yes CTD, his longevity and tenacity cannot be questioned.

My qualification for him is that his only slams were won against an aging Sampras and David Nalbandian, and that he's won as many slams as Marat Safin and 1/3 as many as Edberg (who was very briefly number 1).

Hewitt was number 1 for an extraordinary period considering his relatively poor record. Luck of the draw as they say.

Certainly not one of the greats, nor one of Australia's greats, but a very solid player who fought until the death.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes CTD, his longevity and tenacity cannot be questioned.

My qualification for him is that his only slams were won against an aging Sampras and David Nalbandian, and that he's won as many slams as Marat Safin and 1/3 as many as Edberg (who was very briefly number 1).

Hewitt was number 1 for an extraordinary period considering his relatively poor record. Luck of the draw as they say.

Certainly not one of the greats, nor one of Australia's greats, but a very solid player who fought until the death.

That one season where Hewitt bulked up and added power to his ground-strokes, I thought he was actually going to be a force again. But that was sort of the catalyst to his injury problems that have really affected the latter half of his career.

My biggest frustration with Hewitt was that his shot-playing went really defensive against Federer, Nadal and Roddick and he didn't hit to the lines like he did against everyone else, then all of a sudden even the six-foot-four-plus guys were moving well from behind the baseline adding to the power there bodies generated and the game just passed him by.

Still, for a couple of years there was no greater sight in tennis than his perfectly executed top-spin lob on a big point.

His commitment and "never give up" attitude for Australian tennis is unquestionable imo....also has there been another player around the top tournaments for as long as Lleyton has been? Just can't remember Agassi, Sampras etc around that long, although my memory may do me in on that.

19 consecutive Aus Opens is quite remarkable. This would surely have to be a record?

Hats off to Lleyton from me:thumbsu:

Went to the socceroos game last night. Has there been a bigger talisman than Tim Cahill. That guy is the king of clutch goals. How he manages to get free space to jump at a header is beyond me. Every knows he's good, they try to stop him but they can't. People say his jump and header are his greatest asset but I tend to think that its his ability to get space while under a 2 on 1 that's his greatest asset, and makes the headers possible.

He crashed my wife's 25th birthday at the press club many moons* ago.

*don't tell my wife i used that term

This Robert Allenby thing just keeps unravelling.

It's funny, the day it all happened, I went to a Hawaiian news site to see how it was being reported, and one of the reader comments said something along the lines "This is not what it seems - I think we will be hearing some very different details about this wayward Aussie golfer's story soon enough".

I thought at the time that they sounded oddly sure of themselves - obviously they were on to something.

One thing I would say in defence of Hewitt is that he ended up being a very small man playing in an era of giants. That made life difficult. At his height, Hewitt would measure in taller or roughly the same as the likes of Laver, Rosewall, Connors, McEnroe, Borg. It is a pretty big difference to go from being just smaller than average (as he was when he started) to being a midget. Even Nadal is a couple of inches taller. I suspect the natural all-round ability of Hewitt may have been better suited to a past era.

Having said that, Andre Agassi was the same height as Hewitt and won 8 grand slam titles.

Loving the tennis right now.....Aussie tennis is in good hands again for the future.

footnote: Tomic and Kyrios both through to last 16.

..the show goes on:)

Last edited:
We have to go after Sam Groth!! He loves Lions!

..was on the Aus Open website looking at the moments with the players in the cars on their way to the courts. They were answering questions etc. Watched Tomic, Stosur, Kokkinakis and Groth.....at the end of Sams, he said he LOVES Lions, anything to do with a Lion, then said he has a big Lion tattoo. I was waiting for him to say he follows the Lions (us) but he didn't:(

..would be a great opportunity to offer him an honorary membership or whatever.....become our face so to speak......welcome him to the other Lions den.

..could at least try, even if he does barrack for some other team. Be persuasive.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back