General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is brilliant.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

Geoff Lemon once again demonstrates that he is quickly becoming the finest sporting journalist in Australia, if he isn't already there.

I can't recall agreeing so wholeheartedly with an opinion piece.

Likewise. "Healso" is who you have a beer with. "Ian" is the name of your fellow commentator. Show some respect, you silly little boy.

rejoiced when I found out it was fox commentary not channel 9 on the world cup Australia games, only to have tubs and slats both pop their heads up over the course of the innings. They've been a little more restrained though, maybe their producer has told them to cut out the crap they've been going on with over the summer.

I thought both were really quite good. Tubby is a good commentator when he's given the opportunity to be analytical. Slats clearly couldn't cheerlead as much as he ordinarily would which made a difference.

I think it just goes to show what difference it would make to the Channel 9 lineup to have more foreign commentators, a couple of blokes who aren't "establishment" and perhaps a professional journo or two.

Star tv in India are responsible for the coverage so I'm sure they'll be on a tighter leash than the 9 boys club
Interesting. Wonder if the usual tight rein will be applied to criticising Tendulkar, the BCCI or the DRS.

Star tv in India are responsible for the coverage so I'm sure they'll be on a tighter leash than the 9 boys club
I was wondering why the wickets and runs display were back to front.

Not really digging the graphics of all the statistics tbh (where the hell is the bowling speed display also!). I really liked the 2003 world cup tv set up, with the African music after every wicket also, it really added flavour. The display just doesn't seem very Aussie/kiwi this WC.

England aren't getting any closer...

Gee that James Taylor is hard to hate.
Keep working on it you'll get there eventually. Remember just because he's small doesn't mean he can't be a prick cough *Harvey* cough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go the Irish!!!

Hope they can keep this going, always good to see a smaller country get up even if it is only over the windies
They're losing a few wickets now but the match is done and dusted. This has been a commanding win from Ireland.

Happy I got on them at 5s this morning!

And with the Titans being handed back to the NRL the Gold Coast re-affirms its status as the number 1 professional sports killing destination in Australia. In the past I've put it down to the possibly transient nature of its population, however its a bloody big place these days. You have to wonder what the reasons are for the continue capitulation of every team ever to give it a try.

Too much 'entertainment'(nightclubs during the night, theme parks/beaches during the day) and Kiwi expats living there. then you consider that half the population is generally tourists...

Also the fickle QLD sports lovers... biggest bandwagoners in Australia. You do well they come, and poorly no one turns up.

Too much 'entertainment'(nightclubs during the night, theme parks/beaches during the day) and Kiwi expats living there. then you consider that half the population is generally tourists...

Also the fickle QLD sports lovers... biggest bandwagoners in Australia. You do well they come, and poorly no one turns up.

I think that you could say this 10-15 years ago but I don't think so these days, the permanent population of the coast should be more than enough to sustain teams. The demographic angle is an interesting one, not sure on the age makeup of the coast. I certainly think poor or difficult access to stadiums certainly hurts them as does the lack of density on the coast. Neither of the stadiums are terribly easy to get to via public transport and neither have easy parking. I tend to think they've tried to go down the Australian way of stadium access with Public transport, but the GC isn't structured well enough that way. I tend to think they need to go down the American route of providing a lot of parking to make it easy for people to get to the game.

Relevant question asked on Offsiders on the weekend - given how long the Cricket World Cup runs for, why couldn't they reschedule the washed out Australia v Bangladesh game?

I had thought this as well but I'd imagine that the answer would be an expression of extremes combined with logistics.

The extreme angel would be well what if 5 matches were all washed out in successive days, how many days do you give them to be rescheduled as you can't say yes to one and no to another.

The logistical side is the hardest though. Accommodation will be already booked, flights as well. You're talking changing two whole teams and all their support staff so you're probably looking at about 60 or more people. You're also looking at a game where Australia were playing over 1 week away, however what if it was the NZ vs Aus game that was rained out? Then you've got to play on the Sunday with Australia having to somehow reschedule flights all the way to WA ready to go by wednesday. With so many logistical issues and also limited time between some games its just not possible as it would have to be a blanket rule across all games and that just wouldn't work.

Also I've heard people say why didn't they move it. Apart from the logistical side of things we're talking about a cricket pitch here not a field. Preparing international standard pitches requires several weeks, if not months of planning and work and to say hey can you prepare another one even a week out is a tough ask, especially when the other venue would have had to be pre-approved (aka one of the other host venues) therefore their pitches would have already been in different stages of preparation.

I had thought this as well but I'd imagine that the answer would be an expression of extremes combined with logistics.

The extreme angel would be well what if 5 matches were all washed out in successive days, how many days do you give them to be rescheduled as you can't say yes to one and no to another.

The logistical side is the hardest though. Accommodation will be already booked, flights as well. You're talking changing two whole teams and all their support staff so you're probably looking at about 60 or more people. You're also looking at a game where Australia were playing over 1 week away, however what if it was the NZ vs Aus game that was rained out? Then you've got to play on the Sunday with Australia having to somehow reschedule flights all the way to WA ready to go by wednesday. With so many logistical issues and also limited time between some games its just not possible as it would have to be a blanket rule across all games and that just wouldn't work.

Also I've heard people say why didn't they move it. Apart from the logistical side of things we're talking about a cricket pitch here not a field. Preparing international standard pitches requires several weeks, if not months of planning and work and to say hey can you prepare another one even a week out is a tough ask, especially when the other venue would have had to be pre-approved (aka one of the other host venues) therefore their pitches would have already been in different stages of preparation.
I'm sure they used to have rest days at World Cups? For mine the big loser is Clarke, who desperately needs match practice. Now he's coming up against arguably the hottest bowling attack in world cricket in a game that's likely to decide the winner of Pool A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back