Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Feb 13th. ABS unemployment figure.
NSW 6.3
Vic 6.6
Qld 6.5
SA 7.3
WA 5.6
Tas 6.6
NT 3.7
ACT 4.5.

If our young players are leaving for job opportunities, then the figures for Vic & SA dont seem to stack up. If they are going because they see a better chance at playing in the AFL, then that shows they have no confidence in the TSL.

I dont see it backing what you said at all. But I'll let others make judgement on that.

I'm actually more confident of the Tassie economy now the $A has come down. All we need now is for the Bass strait rip off to stop & we will have a much brighter economic future for our youngsters.

I will concede that the unemployment rate has dropped in Tasmania, I think it was up around 7.6% last year. The statement really has relevance to previous seasons though when young players were leaving. I know for a fact that 3 young players were being courted by mainland clubs in the off season but all 3 have remained in the state because of work, so maybe the tide is starting to turn on that front, lets hope so.

I will concede that the unemployment rate has dropped in Tasmania, I think it was up around 7.6% last year. The statement really has relevance to previous seasons though when young players were leaving. I know for a fact that 3 young players were being courted by mainland clubs in the off season but all 3 have remained in the state because of work, so maybe the tide is starting to turn on that front, lets hope so.

So I wasnt Incorrect then:rolleyes:

So what is happening with Walsh & Boscott then? Are you aware of which other young players have left the state for footy opportunities?.

Actually does anyone have any info about recruits & losses at any clubs.??

So I wasnt Incorrect then:rolleyes:

So what is happening with Walsh & Boscott then? Are you aware of which other young players have left the state for footy opportunities?.

Actually does anyone have any info about recruits & losses at any clubs.??

Actually you weren't, you said QLD had a higher unemployment rate, they don't :rolleyes:
Bryce and Thor have decided to stay after going over to central Districts pre season, I also believe Jordan Roberts from Clarence who was supposed to be going to Victoria has also returned to Clarence. Jobi Harper has also returned to the state to play for the Western Storm. I do believe North Launceston premiership captain Mitch Vandenberg has tried his luck in the VFL though.

Last edited:
Walsh couldnt find anywhere to finish his apprentaship, so stayed for his last year as a greens keeper.

Not sure about Boscott.

Preshaw has gone to Newcastle for Uni.

So just for discussions sake......if bigfooty posters were put in charge of Afl Tasmania, how would/could we turn around the sinking ship? Or is it too far gone.......
That last question is a pertinent one. It may be that it is too far gone. And it may be that eventually that would be inevitable.

I don't know what I would do now. The chopping and changing of the league, and targetting of certain clubs (eg Hobart) was possibly the last act in the destruction of the game. And I'm too far removed to see a way back clearly. Certainly there is no way back with the current administration, or with the way the AFL dictates to Tasmania. Both those things need to be overhauled or abandoned for there to be any hope.

But the people who who did due diligence on accepting ten clubs, which most thought was too many to begin with, are the same people who just five years latter thought 40% of those clubs had to be culled (Devonport got a preprieve but were in the sights for being axed). Just five years.
Did they get it wrong to begin with, or did they get it wrong more recently? Or, more likely, both? If they actually were competent in checking what they claimed, they would not have a 40% miss rate. How can anyone with that sort of failure rate possibly a keep their jobs? Particularly when presiding over a failing syetm at every level.
Most thought the inital set-up of State League Mark 2 was wrong, but to then create further instability by creating clubs from nowhere (eg Western Storm) and swapping teams in and out, trying to cull and then merge historic clubs, just drives people away even more. Stability was what was needed, to try and build a league with some sort of legitimacy. Instead all people got see was the sight of AFL Tas eating their own clubs.

The fact that so many clubs are in such trouble, and most others not far off, is telling. Is that club incompetence? Is almost every club in the state run by incompetents? Or could it just be there are other factors in play?
There are problems above club, many of AFL Tas' own making - and many a result of AFL saturation coverage leaving no time or support for any other footy. (One of the worst things about the first state league collapsing was the contracted protection against live Saturday broadcasts which had been in place since VFL times no longer existed, leaving time for local footy free from the AFL.)
Decline in that environemnt is, I think, inevitable. The pace of it has been greatly accelarated by a management focus on AFL games, and a complete lack of thought for the game locally - at state league and below.

That last question is a pertinent one. It may be that it is too far gone. And it may be that eventually that would be inevitable.

I don't know what I would do now. The chopping and changing of the league, and targetting of certain clubs (eg Hobart) was possibly the last act in the destruction of the game. And I'm too far removed to see a way back clearly. Certainly there is no way back with the current administration, or with the way the AFL dictates to Tasmania. Both those things need to be overhauled or abandoned for there to be any hope.

The fact that so many clubs are in such trouble, and most others not far off, is telling. Is that club incompetence? Is almost every club in the state run by incompetents? Or could it just be there are other factors in play?
There are problems above club, many of AFL Tas' own making - and many a result of AFL saturation coverage leaving no time or support for any other footy. (One of the worst things about the first state league collapsing was the contracted protection against live Saturday broadcasts which had been in place since VFL times no longer existed, leaving time for local footy free from the AFL.)
Decline in that environemnt is, I think, inevitable. The pace of it has been greatly accelarated by a management focus on AFL games, and a complete lack of thought for the game locally - at state league and below.

Yep, cant disagree with that.

I've said the only way back to relevance for Tassie footy is not to beat them but to join them. Our only hope IMO is to get a fair dinkum Tassie side in the AFL. The TSL would have access to the trickle down effect of having cutting edge coaching, fitness, administration rub off to TSL clubs. Thus a better pathway for young players.

If we ever do get a chance to join the AFL it would almost certainly be a relocated club. I dont like that for a number of reasons but thats all we can hope for IMO.

I did hear from 'someone' that the club most likely to become that relocated club is not Hawthorn (der!) not even North Melbourne!, but he recons he was told that St Kilda are in the cross hairs. Hmm.;)

Now this guy is very close to an inner 'city' club & also politics. I was a bit surprised I must say because, like many others, I assumed North Melbourne might be pushed & shoved by the AFL, if indeed any one was going to be. Anyway it was interesting talking about why that might be possible.

I think part of the problem is the "give us an AFL team" attitude.
The whole thing was pushed by The Mercury (again) to lift falling sales. It has next to no chance of happening. The market simply isn't important enough for the AFL to care about.

AFL Tas, and the public, need to plan for not having an AFL team - and then reassess if by some miracle one becomes a realistic prospect.

I think part of the problem is the "give us an AFL team" attitude.
The whole thing was pushed by The Mercury (again) to lift falling sales. It has next to no chance of happening. The market simply isn't important enough for the AFL to care about.

AFL Tas, and the public, need to plan for not having an AFL team - and then reassess if by some miracle one becomes a realistic prospect.

How do you plan for not having a club? We dont have one now. It didnt need planning, it just happened through AFL neglect. Simple really!

We just get a succession of carpetbaggers who FIFO. Fitzroy, Hawthorn, St Kilda, now North Melbourne. I dont know about you, but I think thats a disgrace & a bloody embarrassment for the AFL. No one else in any sport has been treated with such disdain as much as we have. Then they made the political decision to put cricket in the south & footy in the north. What a load of political shyte. For equity & commercial reasons both venues should have had cricket & footy from day one instead of unnecessarily stirring up parochial attitudes for base political reasons.

What footy we do have left is controlled by & for AFL purposes, not for community/club benefit. Our footy has degenerated under the watch of the AFL. To date they have shown little intention to do anything about it.

The 'Give us a team' push was started after a business plan was developed & just as the AFL were to poor millions into the football black hole in Western Sydney. So it was a response to perceived injustice/unfairness.

I & others are hopeful (yes maybe just wishful) that now the fat controller has gone that the new AFL regime might see sense & support the national concept, not just the life support system for the old VFL which at times seemed its most important role.

The potential Tasmanian footy market would be on a par or bigger than Geelong, the Gold Coast or some of the smaller Melbourne clubs. Geelong is becoming a suburb of Melbourne & has lost much of its economic strength after the loss of so much industry, the Gold Coast is problematic with so many sports clubs having failed to surviv & people dont even ask why!. GWS is a long term project but will cost a fortune & again is problematic, at least 3 or 4 Melbourne based clubs are basket cases.

Given that, why should we give up & bow to entrenched self interests in Melbourne. our own club would bring valuable economic & social benefits. We've strongly supported footy for over 150 years so why should we give in to entrenched selfishness in other places?.

I certainly will do nothing to support Hawthorn or North Melbourne. To be told we need to keep supporting those clubs to show we deserve our own club, is just bullshit.

Pl
Does anyone know of any practise matches happening this weeked?
Plenty of action, check out Tasmanian football scores and news. 500 young men training hard to provide entertainment for the footy loving public this year.
Big recruiters Hobart City take on W Storm at 12 at Campbell Town. Tantalising. Others on facebook TFSand N.

Feb 13th. ABS unemployment figure.
NSW 6.3
Vic 6.6
Qld 6.5
SA 7.3
WA 5.6
Tas 6.6
NT 3.7
ACT 4.5.
I can remember in 1993 in the early part of the demise of the original statewide league we had an unemployment rate of 13.4% in Tasmania. Some areas were recording rates of over 40%.
That was after the recession, so many businesses closed down, many others relocated back to mainland cities, industry went to the wall, it was not a fun time at all.
Trying to find jobs was next to impossible, trying to snare a quality position for a recruit was a real problem too.
After Mark Browning resigned about a month after the 1992 Grand Final, Hobart had worked diligently over the Summer to secure former Melbourne player Simon Eishold as captain coach in 1993. I believe they found him a job but it was for significantly less than what he would've earned interstate, his wife/partner wasn't able to be secured a job so Eishold pulled the pin and stayed in Melbourne.
Mark Yeates' role at Schweppes as a sales rep was allegedly being scaled back/cut so he also pulled the pin after the 1992 Grand Final and moved with his wife back to Melbourne.
Lack of really good quality employment in the state hurts our ability to lure good recruits to strenghten the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you plan for not having a club? We dont have one now. It didnt need planning, it just happened through AFL neglect. Simple really!

You change the current set-up, bearing in mind (whether deserved or not) there will be no AFL club based in Tasmania. I'm really not sure what the new set up should be, but the current one is driven from the wrong agenda. If an AFL club was to happen (very much a long shot in my view) then alter plans to suit. But don't make plans with one in mind when it will almost certainly not happen within any reasonable timeframe.

AFL Tasmania should be focussed on everything except the AFL. Instead, from this distance, that seems to be all their sole focus. Delivering draft picks, which is very much hit and miss suggesting weakness in the system even there, and ego boosts from photo ops with the AFL's big wigs seem to be the main focus of AFL Tas management. Having so many of the board in Melbourne doesn't help matters. Of course, part of that focus seems to be AFL directed and without it the funds might not be forthcoming.

It is a catch-22 that there seems to be little way out of. Not all the problems are of the making of AFL Tas, but many are - especially with regard to instability in the state league.

You change the current set-up, bearing in mind (whether deserved or not) there will be no AFL club based in Tasmania. I'm really not sure what the new set up should be, but the current one is driven from the wrong agenda. If an AFL club was to happen (very much a long shot in my view) then alter plans to suit. But don't make plans with one in mind when it will almost certainly not happen within any reasonable timeframe.

AFL Tasmania should be focussed on everything except the AFL. Instead, from this distance, that seems to be all their sole focus. Delivering draft picks, which is very much hit and miss suggesting weakness in the system even there, and ego boosts from photo ops with the AFL's big wigs seem to be the main focus of AFL Tas management. Having so many of the board in Melbourne doesn't help matters. Of course, part of that focus seems to be AFL directed and without it the funds might not be forthcoming.

It is a catch-22 that there seems to be little way out of. Not all the problems are of the making of AFL Tas, but many are - especially with regard to instability in the state league.

I dont disagree. Remember that AFLTas CEO Wade says he cannot be sacked by anyone here. The AFL run the game. Obviously for their own reasons & ends.

Given the reality of who runs & controls the game, its pointless anyone else planning for anything. Any successes or failures are totally the responsibility of the AFL. AFLTas are simply a branch office.

Decisions will be made in Melbourne. The state level league here will remain as it is until the AFL decide otherwise. Wade gets a chunk of money & he plays with that. The main concern are draft picks via an elite development system.

The current two FIFO AFL clubs will also remain until otherwise decided in Melbourne.

I'm told their is some talk that the AFL want Hawthorn to move on & that the AFL want to base a club here. I'd be disappointed with that but the AFL will do what it wants. It wont address the fact that for a national league it has too many Victorian clubs. Shunting old suburban clubs off to other places is a sad way to even out the geography of the league. But considering thats what the American NFL have done over the last 40 years, then the AFL will probably follow suit.

Tassie Roos? Tassie Saints? 2020?

The current two FIFO AFL clubs will also remain until otherwise decided in Melbourne.

I'm told their is some talk that the AFL want Hawthorn to move on & that the AFL want to base a club here. I'd be disappointed with that but the AFL will do what it wants. It wont address the fact that for a national league it has too many Victorian clubs. Shunting old suburban clubs off to other places is a sad way to even out the geography of the league. But considering thats what the American NFL have done over the last 40 years, then the AFL will probably follow suit.

Tassie Roos? Tassie Saints? 2020?

As long as Tassie doesn't count towards the national TV ratings, they won't get a team (Western Sydney and the GC are both in the ratings area, hence the existence of the Giants and Suns)

As long as Tassie doesn't count towards the national TV ratings, they won't get a team (Western Sydney and the GC are both in the ratings area, hence the existence of the Giants and Suns)

All areas outside the major cities are counted via regional TAM. I guess thats all taken into account, otherwise they wouldnt do it. Would they?

We have cricket broadcasting of the BBL & the ICC World cup ODI series & the odd test match. Also AFL teams FIFO & have games broadcast back to the big island.

So why would we have cricket broadcast to the rest of the country & internationally, & 1 NAB + 6AFL matches also televised, but somehow the ratings 'system' is the reason we dont have an AFL team here????

Someone will have to explain that to me. Otherwise I, & others will continue to see the issue as all about the protection of old VFL clubs who have always & now still continue to struggle in the AFL.

Answers or explanations anyone? Please feel free to enlighten me. (& probably thousands of others too!)

All areas outside the major cities are counted via regional TAM. I guess thats all taken into account, otherwise they wouldnt do it. Would they?

We have cricket broadcasting of the BBL & the ICC World cup ODI series & the odd test match. Also AFL teams FIFO & have games broadcast back to the big island.

So why would we have cricket broadcast to the rest of the country & internationally, & 1 NAB + 6AFL matches also televised, but somehow the ratings 'system' is the reason we dont have an AFL team here????
Answers or explanations anyone? Please feel free to enlighten me. (& probably thousands of others too!)

This is getting off topic now, but I'll clarify what I meant:

The 5 City ratings is the only TAM that most people care about.

Geelong is counted as part of the Melbourne ratings area, and the Gold Coast counts towards Brisbane. Therefore, all 18 AFL clubs are located within metro ratings areas. By comparison, the NRL only has 11 and 1/2 of its 16 clubs in the metro area (Canberra, Newcastle, North Queensland and the Illawarra half of St George-Illawarra are in regional TAM, and the Warriors aren't counted in either for obvious reasons)

This gives the AFL an advantage over the NRL in the national ratings battle. They would not want to risk this advantage by including teams from regional TAM areas; hence, no Tassie team.

This is getting off topic now, but I'll clarify what I meant:

The 5 City ratings is the only TAM that most people care about.

Geelong is counted as part of the Melbourne ratings area, and the Gold Coast counts towards Brisbane. Therefore, all 18 AFL clubs are located within metro ratings areas. By comparison, the NRL only has 11 and 1/2 of its 16 clubs in the metro area (Canberra, Newcastle, North Queensland and the Illawarra half of St George-Illawarra are in regional TAM, and the Warriors aren't counted in either for obvious reasons)

This gives the AFL an advantage over the NRL in the national ratings battle. They would not want to risk this advantage by including teams from regional TAM areas; hence, no Tassie team.

So then why do Cricket Australia, the ICC & the AFL seem happy to broadcast from here but it somehow precludes having an AFL Team based here. It makes no sense to me, especially since the NRL obviously see no risk to their growing TV rights by having regional teams in their competition.

Tassie footy is clearly being used & abused for no good reason.

The ratings thing is an obvious furphy IMHO.

So then why do Cricket Australia, the ICC & the AFL seem happy to broadcast from here but it somehow precludes having an AFL Team based here. It makes no sense to me, especially since the NRL obviously see no risk to their growing TV rights by having regional teams in their competition.

Tassie footy is clearly being used & abused for no good reason.

The ratings thing is an obvious furphy IMHO.

enough of the history lesson and moaning.
Here is my ladder end of round 18,
North Launceston
Clarence
Hobart City
Western Storm
Lauderdale
Burnie
Devonport
Lauderdale
Launceston
Tigers

oops,
north Launceston
Clarence
Hobart City
Western Storm
Lauderdale
Burnie
Devonport
Glenorchy
Launceston
Tigers

At this early stage,

North Launceston
Clarence
Burnie
Western storm
Lauderdale
Devonport
Hobartcity
Glenorchy
Launceston
Tigers.

I think it could be very close in the middle of the pack. I think the top side North Launy will be well on top & the Tigers will again struggle to win a game. The sides from 2-9 will all be close IMO.

im in for a laugh

North Launceston
Lauderdale
Western storm
Burnie
Glenorchy
Clarence
Devonport
Hobartcity
Launceston
Tigers.

watched Burnie on the week end and they looked ok playing an under maned Lauderdale team hardly a good gauge at this stage, I hear Glenorchy played against a bunch of kids in the Clarence practice match and only got up by 2 goals can this be confirmed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back