Toast George Horlin-Smith nominated for Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a great mark.
A million miles off MOTY though

Looking at that vision, it did make me think of one rule query. In the contest, whilst Hodge may have tried to make GHS lose his shoe, he did succeed in losing his own boot. Hodge then picked up the shoe and then stood the mark with shoe in one hand pointing out, effectively extending his reach. Is this legal? What would the umpire have called in the ball had touched the shoe? As it was Hodge only held this pose very briefly and went to put the shoe on before GHS disposed of the ball, but I was thinking, what if?

Looking at that vision, it did make me think of one rule query. In the contest, whilst Hodge may have tried to make GHS lose his shoe, he did succeed in losing his own boot. Hodge then picked up the shoe and then stood the mark with shoe in one hand pointing out, effectively extending his reach. Is this legal? What would the umpire have called in the ball had touched the shoe? As it was Hodge only held this pose very briefly and went to put the shoe on before GHS disposed of the ball, but I was thinking, what if?

Think Hodge temporarily thought it was a hamburger and got confused personally.

I thought he struggled with the game pressure actually , like several others. Will be much better the longer we leave him in the side

Virtually all of the younger players found it a whole new ball game yesterday and struggled with the pressure, both physical and mental.
It won't have hurt any of them. All other games will be easier in those respects, even Freo.

Virtually all of the younger players found it a whole new ball game yesterday and struggled with the pressure, both physical and mental.
It won't have hurt any of them. All other games will be easier in those respects, even Freo.

Yes , Fred we are on the same page. Burbs is like he is in the deep end with weights on his ankles atm , but by years end (whether in 1's or 2's) he will be a much better player for it. Of the top of my head , sucked in in the last quarter touch the ball and Hodge drew the 50 , fumbled the chest mark in the 1st , did not hand pass to Stokes and chose to goal himself. Fine if you get it , not so much if you miss. Put him on thw wing for a while I think , let him run a mark the ball , then swing him back.

Yes , Fred we are on the same page. Burbs is like he is in the deep end with weights on his ankles atm , but by years end (whether in 1's or 2's) he will be a much better player for it. Of the top of my head , sucked in in the last quarter touch the ball and Hodge drew the 50 , fumbled the chest mark in the 1st , did not hand pass to Stokes and chose to goal himself. Fine if you get it , not so much if you miss. Put him on thw wing for a while I think , let him run a mark the ball , then swing him back.

Wasn't only Burbury, it was HSmith as you mentioned, and Murdoch had several "caught in the spotlight" moments in the first half, though he did catch up a bit later on. Even Guthrie found it much harder to get out of traffic than he usually does.

Wasn't only Burbury, it was HSmith as you mentioned, and Murdoch had several "caught in the spotlight" moments in the first half, though he did catch up a bit later on. Even Guthrie found it much harder to get out of traffic than he usually does.

Totally agree , just mention Burbs as he missed and messed in a more obvious manor. GHS really struggled with agility and quickly gathering balance , Murdoch really got caught on his right foot a couple times. He showed that little bit more experience in being a able to overcome the mistakes and kick two goals late. But he reall need to work on his right, follow Lings example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superb gutsy mark, curious that a player of a Hodge's talent miss judged the ball by that much....it was windy I guess...

Horlin-Smith was quiet, Guthrie was a little better but also down. Murdoch kicked 2 but struggled I thought. Burbury was poor. Blicavs not great either.

They all will be much better for the experience.

Superb gutsy mark, curious that a player of a Hodge's talent miss judged the ball by that much....it was windy I guess...

Horlin-Smith was quiet, Guthrie was a little better but also down. Murdoch kicked 2 but struggled I thought. Burbury was poor. Blicavs not great either.

Not sure Guthrie was down at all.
How many touches did Mitchell have up to half time? And after?
He was their best player at 1/2 time.

Totally agree but the class from Burbury a few times was evident as with the others, Horlins courage and Murdoch's late goal where he got around that Hawk player were sublime.

spot on with this comment Fred; I thought all of the younger players struggled at times with the pace of the game and the pressure; the pleasing thing was that most of them fought through quiet/poor patches to contribute - Guthrie and Horlin-Smith were pretty solid I thought, although I can see what Turbocat was saying with regards to GHS.
I thought Jordan Murdoch's effort in kicking two goals and also setting up another in the 2nd half was great considering the terrible first half he'd played - didn't drop his bundle and things started turning his way.
Blicavs and Burbury's collective return was a bit disappointing, even factoring in Burbs' role on Gibson - they'll both have learned plenty from that match though.

Should've been 50 to GHS btw ;)
outstanding mark, spectacular or not, because he must've known that they were coming as he set himself.

Not sure Guthrie was down at all.
How many touches did Mitchell have up to half time? And after?
He was their best player at 1/2 time.

I was at the game, so I lost touch of who was on who, Mitchell's influence definitely waned in second half, so if Guthrie had the job on him then he did do a good job. Horlin-Smith was on him at some of the centre bounces and even Varcoe but I lost who was minding him to be honest.

He is a very clever player Mitchell, just quietly slips out the back of a contest and sets it all up for them. He almost plays like a number 7 in Rugby.

Murdoch is getting closer though, but does not look to be a particularly confident lad.

Slightly off-topic, but I think SJ was stiff not to get nominated for goal of the week. IMO, his goal in the 2nd term was similar to Jack Billings' goal which was nominated, but SJ kicked his from closer to the boundary. I guess SJ has a history of kicking those kinds of goals though, so that's probably why Billings' goal was nominated instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back