Toast George Horlin-Smith nominated for Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Virtually all of the younger players found it a whole new ball game yesterday and struggled with the pressure, both physical and mental.
It won't have hurt any of them. All other games will be easier in those respects, even Freo.
Completely agree. Good to get a taste for it as it should help in the development of them, help them understand what high-stakes/high pressure matches are like and that you need to be even quicker of mind than usual.

Personally I thought they all handled themselves reasonably well in a hot game.

“People never learn anything by being told, they have to find out for themselves.”

Looking at that vision, it did make me think of one rule query. In the contest, whilst Hodge may have tried to make GHS lose his shoe, he did succeed in losing his own boot. Hodge then picked up the shoe and then stood the mark with shoe in one hand pointing out, effectively extending his reach. Is this legal? What would the umpire have called in the ball had touched the shoe? As it was Hodge only held this pose very briefly and went to put the shoe on before GHS disposed of the ball, but I was thinking, what if?
I was too busy fuming at how Hodge wrapped his arm (albeit briefly) around GHS's neck as they came down, tbh, to notice him doing that. I'd think, though, if GHS can't kick past the length of Hodge's arms, plus 8" of shoe, he should be back playing Auskick ;)

I thought he struggled with the game pressure actually , like several others. Will be much better the longer we leave him in the side. Good mark though , probably the best think he did all day.
Took a nice one in the forward line but muffed the shot. That took a lot from his mark there, unfortunately.

Yes , Fred we are on the same page. Burbs is like he is in the deep end with weights on his ankles atm , but by years end (whether in 1's or 2's) he will be a much better player for it. Of the top of my head , sucked in in the last quarter touch the ball and Hodge drew the 50 , fumbled the chest mark in the 1st , did not hand pass to Stokes and chose to goal himself. Fine if you get it , not so much if you miss. Put him on thw wing for a while I think , let him run a mark the ball , then swing him back.
Had some nice plays further up the ground but definitely fumbled in closer to goal.

Off on another wavelength altogether - sorry. Deflect post *not allowed*
I'm fairly sure I knew where you were going with that.

But I wasn't going to touch it.

If you know what I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True! Courageous too. But mark of the year? Nah!
You're about the fifth person to say something similar. I don't give a stuff about MOTY. I'd prefer he continued to take grabs like this.

The best part of this grab is it tells everyone the hypen is here to play and stay...
Luv it..
Any award he would get pales to the respect that the mark would garner from his team mates ...

Go Catters

The best part of this grab is it tells everyone the hypen is here to play and stay...
Luv it..
Any award he would get pales to the respect that the mark would garner from his team mates ...

Go Catters

To say the same thing a different way. Several commentators made mention of it. Tonight on League Teams Tony Shaw highlighted it and said(paraphrase) * THIS is what a young kid does to earn respect from his team mates. He just made a statement . This kid will be around for 10 years. Dermie; 'To be honest , I thought he was a bit Mehh but he is an absolute gun this kid. The legend of the Hypen has taken root and is on a path for steady growth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back