Get ready for more Sunday games :|

Remove this Banner Ad

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-moves-to-win-back-fans-20140730-3cumg.html

The AFL has established a blueprint to win back Victorian fans, admitting that the MCG and Etihad Stadium no longer set the benchmark as match-day venues and that the game's heartland has suffered due to a highly experimental 2014 fixture and a messy ticketing system....

Next season's fixture will include the return to just one bye, probably staged over three consecutive weeks each boasting six games, and more consistent time slots that will take Sunday twilight games away from the MCG and stage them more often in Perth, Adelaide and at Etihad Stadium.

What's our reward for exceptional crowds?...shitter timeslots!

Meh, I can see how it bothers people living in the country I guess, but it doesn't bother me at all. When the Crows play, I will be there.

Meh, I can see how it bothers people living in the country I guess, but it doesn't bother me at all. When the Crows play, I will be there.
I'll be there too, but I won't be able to turn it into a night out like I would a Friday night or Saturday anytime game.

don't care if we get saturday twilight games, would actually prefer them

i do agree with the afl that sunday twilight doesn't work in melbourne. horrible timeslot.

could be a time slot that perth make their own IMO

"The fixture next year will be drawn up squarely through the lens of attendances," McLachlan said.

Excuse me? said Foxtel. When's the next TV deal coming up?

Proposals for 2015 and beyond include:

The abolition of the two-bye season, all Sunday night games and most Sunday MCG twilight fixtures and a return to traditional time slots that could see a Good Friday game taken off the agenda until 2016.

For all teams or just in Victoria?

A revamping of the MCG scoreboard to reflect the passion of the home teams, in the belief that venue's internal broadcast has become pedestrian and outdated.

The establishment of a central ticketing body based on operations such as Webjet.

Ticketmaster said, wut?

A push for Melbourne clubs to widen their focus beyond simply attracting big membership numbers, instead transforming those members into match-day fans.

Allow people to bring their pets ;)

A more flexible approach to use of the retractable roof at Etihad Stadium, including opening it at short notice in good conditions.

Common sense, although Norf's coach just had a fit.

An already established working party of Melbourne clubs and stadiums to help create a match-day experience at MCG and Etihad games comparable with the recently rebuilt Adelaide Oval and the Gold Coast's Metricon.

Interesting. Admission they've fallen behind what we offer.

The promotion and advertising of games at the MCG and Etihad in a manner similar to interstate fixtures.

?que?[

don't care if we get saturday twilight games, would actually prefer them

i do agree with the afl that sunday twilight doesn't work in melbourne. horrible timeslot.

could be a time slot that perth make their own IMO
Yeah Saturday at any time slot is fine by me.

At the earliest 12:40, you're getting out around 4ish, go for a couple of beers, grab dinner and then kick on.

twilight you are out by 8 and can kick on

night you're out around 10:30 and can kick on.

Sunday early games I might go for a couple of beers, but can't make a night of it. Sunday twilight, I'm heading straight home.

Sat arvo games are always our lowest drawing games because of sporting/work commitments. Vic clubs always complain that they don't get enough of them. To me its a no brainer to have more sat arvo games in vic and less here (I am biased though as someone who plays footy of sat arvo).

Sunday twilight I think will be seen majority in WA as the time difference means its twilight in the east for TV, but still a more traditional arvo game for the attendees.

This switch should have no effect on the number of sat night/friday night games we get however, and I'm sure we will also feature in a number of Thursday night games.

Overall im expecting us to have similar number of Fri night/Sat night/Sunday games as now with maybe the Thursday night games coming more at the expanse of sat arvo than the others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon, it makes no difference to me personally. What annoys me is when prime time viewing - Thursday/Friday nights all go to teams like Carlton and Richmond. Have a look at the fixture this year. More than 50% of Friday/Thursday night games involve one or both of those teams. What an absolute joke.

Give prime time to teams that deserve it (and no, that doesn't mean us).

I am sick of Sunday games here too whilst all those Vic teams get the nice Fri/Saturday night slots. How many Sat night games do Brisbane seem to play though??

I'm an AFL member in Vic and can guarantee the games on Saturday night have been near non-existent or between crap teams.

What they're saying makes logical sense, this year they've had games like Coll v Carl and Ess v Carl on Sunday twilight, there's no need to ruin a blockbuster with scheduling.

I like the atmosphere of thursday and Fridday night games but i must say it's tough at the end of a working week

the collingwood game on thursday went there straight from work, really enjoyed the night and got home at 11ish and was on a high from the win and everyone talking how good charlie cameron was blah blah...didnt get to bed until 1ish then had to work the next day and felt like I was working on a saturday...there was this feeling of 'what am i doing here the weekend started last night'

then the Friday night game vs hawks i had a stressful working week went straight from work to the game and just felt the need to drink heaps to get up for the game and yell like i usually do...felt pretty flat the next day...but mind you probably because the crows lost.

..prefer saturday 1.10, 4pm or 7pm games....sunday isnt ideal but i don't mind

you still have Friday night and saturday morning to relax and get over the working week or take care of things like shopping ...then you can really get pumped up and enjoy going to the footy combine it with lunch or dinner in the city depending on game time

everyone doesn't have the same lifestyle so it depends really...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back