@getgaff's Phantom Draft 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I've updated my first round of selections with indicative draft selections.

Have given Collingwood compensation pick 5 (Lach Weller) for losing Beams and Essendon compensation pick 17 (Peter Bampton) for losing Ryder

I've updated my first round of selections with indicative draft selections.

Have given Collingwood compensation pick 5 (Lach Weller) for losing Beams and Essendon compensation pick 17 (Peter Bampton) for losing Ryder
You'd better give pick 5 back to Brisbane the Dayne Beams trade isn't happening.

Richmond's last 5 1st round selections:
2013 - Lennon - Med fwd/mid
2012 - Vlastuin - med def/mid
2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid
2009 - Martin - mid/med fwd

the last KP that they took with their 1st pick was Vickery in 2008......not a very good one either!

They need a top end KP talent coming through.

GG, who do you reckon the blues will take with their first four picks (19, 28, 61, 65)?

Will hopefully get an updated mock draft before the week is out. Depends what Carlton's needs are really. They've added a young inside mid in Whiley during the trade period along with two talls in Jaksch and Jones. Maybe looking at an outside player with clean ball use like Corey Ellis?

Will hopefully get an updated mock draft before the week is out. Depends what Carlton's needs are really. They've added a young inside mid in Whiley during the trade period along with two talls in Jaksch and Jones. Maybe looking at an outside player with clean ball use like Corey Ellis?

Exactly where our needs lie, unless something too good to pass up slides. Outside run, good ball use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First round update is available at OP. Will endeavor to keep posting from 2nd round over the next few days including profiles.

You seriously think we're gonna pick up Bampton at 17? He's a mid 2nd rounder! Also Cockatoo not featuring in the first round is a big call

I believe you will pick a inside midfielder yes. Whether it's Bampton, Cockatoo or even maybe Menadue we will see but I believe Bampton is a chance with your first pick

I believe you will pick a inside midfielder yes. Whether it's Bampton, Cockatoo or even maybe Menadue we will see but I believe Bampton is a chance with your first pick
We already have 7 inside mids, and in what world is Menadue an inside player. Although I'd like Cockatoo, mostly outside who can win it inside when he has to

Updated 25/10/2014

I've done an update of my top 10 including correct draft positions. I’ll leave the full profiles to Paige but I've taken snippets from Paige’s Phantom and will try and add player comparisons (if recognisable), draft range and highlight videos from the Championships where possible. Also a short write up on why I have them at that pick.

Would love to get feedback on what you all think of my phantom.

1: ST. KILDA – CHRISTIAN PETRACCA

HEIGHT: 186 cm WEIGHT: 92 kg
POSITION: Fwd/ Mid
PLAYER COMPARISON: Dustin Martin
DRAFT RANGE: 1 – 2

In my opinion selection one comes down to three names Christian Petracca as a midfielder, and tall forward options Patrick McCartin or Peter Wright.

Petrecca is widely tipped by experts to be that first selection at the draft and is the stand out best midfield selection. If St. Kilda were to bypass him I can’t imagine him lasting any further than Melbourne’s selection 2.

His stocks have risen over the 2014 season where he spent more time on the ball. A powerful player in contests who is a danger inside 50 with his ability to hold off his opponent with body strength and kicks goals a lot like Dustin Martin. For a midfield like St. Kilda’s, recently losing a star on baller in Lenny Hayes, Petracca or Angus Brayshaw would develop nicely in their midfield with names like Armitage, Steven and Dunstan already in it.

The Saints needs for a KPF like McCartin or Wright post Nick Riewoldt can’t be under estimated either but, especially after the recent trading of Rhys Stanley who they invested a lot of time and effort into developing both at senior level and in the VFL.

2: MELBOURNE – ANGUS BRAYSHAW

HEIGHT: 187 cm WEIGHT: 87 kg
POSITION: Midfielder
PLAYER COMPARISON: Ollie Wines
DRAFT RANGE: 2 – 5

With the luxury of picks 2 and 3 Brayshaw becomes a must get player for Melbourne. Whether they go with a midfielder or a tall defender to cover the numerical loss of Frawley like Jake Lever with their first selection they’ll get a ripper player.

During the year he became one of the midfielders that I said I’d love to have at West Coast if he was available but now I highly doubt that he’d be available past Collingwood’s pick 5.

What I love about his midfield game is the balance between inside and outside possessions and his skill either side of the body. In contested situations he has clean hands, but his disposal can be a bit scrappy. However when running and spreading on the outside he is damaging.

Pick 2 and 3 really become needs based picks for Melbourne. Brayshaw working in the Melbourne midfield may get chances for a senior debut early but would also benefit from development against men in the VFL. Like I said earlier either way they go, tall or small, Melbourne should get themselves a couple of beauties at pick 2 and 3.

3: MELBOURNE – JAKE LEVER

HEIGHT: 192 cm WEIGHT: 84 kg
POSITION: KPD
DRAFT RANGE: 3 – 14

Lever is an selection that will generate discussion, however with Melbourne holding pick 3 as compensation for losing All Australian KPD James Frawley to Hawthorn the Demons have 2 live picks inside the top 3 which in a strong draft early for KPP’s I’m sure they’d be happy with either Lever down back or Patrick McCartin up forward.

It’s well known that Lever didn't play footy in 2014 after suffering an ACL tear in January thus making him an intriguing pick who could go anywhere in the first round. His defensive work is rated highly among recruiters and will be a sought after player on draft night. Has a good balance in his game between close checking defender and rebounding from half back setting up the play with his long kick and awareness of what’s around him. Has the attributes required to make it for a tall defender but plays his best as a loose man reading the play.

Can see Melbourne using one of their early picks to draft a long term tall defender.

4: GWS – PATRICK McCARTIN

HEIGHT: 193 cm WEIGHT: 95 kg
POSITION: KPF
PLAYER COMPARISON: Taylor Walker
DRAFT RANGE: 1 – 4

McCartin was widely tipped to be a number one selection at the draft for a while but with the progression of Petracca has been demoted somewhat. I still wouldn’t rule him out as a number one pick or either of Melbourne’s picks. Depends where each club sees its most immediate need early.

That being said I think he will land at GWS at pick 4. Their biggest need now lies for a power forward after losing Tom Boyd via a trade and already having Jon Patton on the sidelines for a big chunk of 2015 after a knee reco. McCartin fits the need and has that physical body and presence already in the mould of a Taylor Walker.

Played the role of go to forward well at Under 18 level and while his field kicking is good for a power forward he is a real confidence player with set shots. In my opinion he is ready made for AFL and I’m sure will get some pre-season senior exposure in preparation for an early debut.

If the Giants were to pass on McCartin or he wasn't available, I’d see them looking at big Peter Wright who is the more like Tom Boyd in terms of size.

PICK 5: COLLINGWOOD – JAYDEN LAVERDE

HEIGHT: 189 cm WEIGHT: 82 kg
POSITION: UTILITY
DRAFT RANGE: 3 - 11

Collingwood traded early into the draft after losing star midfielder Dayne Beams to BL. They’ve already secured Darcy Moore @ pick 8 via father son so they have a quality tall already to pick at the draft.

Laverde is a prototype midfield utility like Marcus Bontempelli from last year. Plays with a real attacking mindset, a good sense of the game and plays as an attacking player at both ends or through the middle with his pace to burn. His disposal efficiency is rated highly and kicks the ball long. Loves to initiate attacks from the back line and as you see from his highlight package is a momentum shifting player (used in attack against SA and was a damaging in a short period).

If Patrick McCartin happened to be available I could see the Magpies seriously considering him and Peter Wright here even though they will already get Darcy Moore. They've struggled to find consistent support for Cloke up front arguably since Dawes left the club. Jesse White has struggled with consistency in his one season and Ben Reid who has been considered more as a swing man than permanent forward hasn't had a clear run with injuries.

PICK 6: GWS – PETER WRIGHT

HEIGHT: 203 cm WEIGHT: 102 kg
POSITION: KPF/ RUCK
PLAYER COMPARISON: Kurt Tippett
DRAFT RANGE: 1 – 6

After losing Tom Boyd and Jonathan Giles via the trade period I think GWS would be mighty happy to get Peter Wright here and there’s every chance it could happen with Brisbane giving up their first pick to Collingwood.

Before the season Wright was considered the number one pick by a lot of experts but in the terms of the championships he really made his name known with a dominant game against SA in Round 4 of the Championships. A game which Metro won in a close battle.

As a forward is where he can make the biggest difference in my opinion with his superior size, mobility and foot skills not only in front of goal but around the ground. As a ruckman his skills are fantastic especially his tap work and disposal, but it’s his second efforts and tackles ground work showcased in the highlights that stand out to me to. His skills give him a real point of difference over any other ruck in the draftin my opinion.

If his still available GWS won’t hesitate to pick him but there’s every chance Collingwood could beat them to the big man leaving GWS to maybe look at Sam Durdin or Caleb Marchbank as tall defensive draft options.

PICK 7: GWS – LIAM DUGGAN

HEIGHT: 183 cm WEIGHT: 76 kg
POSITION: DEF/ MID
DRAFT RANGE: 5 – 11

Like Melbourne with 2 live picks inside the top 3, GWS win out with 3 live inside the first 7. Before the trade period I thought they may look to strengthen their tall defensive structure with Sam Durdin or Caleb Marchbank but acquiring Joel Patfull from BL is a short term win and gives them the chance to select a tall defender later if required.

Duggan was the Ben Mitchell Medallist from this year’s AIS intake and his skill set is as highly rated as his character off field. Still skinny in terms of body size and is the first really “skinny” player of my phantom but is effective in a contest as well as outside. Can play as a designated kick in defender from the last line, is dangerous off half back and loves to run and carry with his speed.

His long left foot kick is his greatest asset suggesting he will become an outside midfielder/ wingman with his ability to read the play, game awareness and speed.

After acquiring a strong body inside (Ryan Griffen) and losing young midfielder Jono O’Rourke, GWS may look to bolster their outside stocks with a Duggan, Lachie Weller or Jarrod Pickett.

PICK 8: GOLD COAST - LACHIE WELLER

HEIGHT: 181 cm WEIGHT: 71 kg
POSITION: MID/ DEF
DRAFT RANGE: 5 – 8

There was no movement with Gold Coast’s selection 8 during the trade period and I can see them looking no further than local product Lachie Weller if he is available. No go home factor here but may want to end up playing with older brother Maverick.

He will be the kind of midfielder that team mates want to get the ball in the hands of.. Not afraid to move the ball on quickly by hand to a moving team mate and seems to have that x factor on the inside while hurting with outside skill and pace.

His gut running, work ethic and transition running and work ethic is rated highly in the current draft crop, pushing behind the ball to work hard in defence, getting involved in the midfield and kicking goals inside 50.

Another midfielder that I’d be keen to have at West Coast if the stars aligned at selection 11.

PICK 9: COLLINGWOOD - DARCY MOORE (FATHER/ SON)

HEIGHT: 199 cm WEIGHT: 93 kg
POSITION: KPF/ KPD
DRAFT RANGE: 1st ROUND FATHER / SON

The son on Brownlow Medalist Peter Moore. Collingwood have been keen on Darcy Moore for a while and I’m sure watching him closely for longer. The Magpies and their fans got to see some under age VFL exposure during 2014 with Darcy playing some matches with Collingwood as 23rd man.

The Pies ended up having their hand forced and showed how interested they were in Moore during the father son bidding process when the Western Bulldogs bid their first round selection.

His National Championships, TAC finals form and exposure in limited VFL showings showcased his marking, goal sense, aggression at the contest, mobility and clean hands below his knees. His aggressive offensive play and clean hands make him a real KPP prospect at either end.

My opinion is he will be a long term KPF option for Collingwood and has the size already to make an impact early in the NAB Cup and push for an early season debut.

PICK 10: GEELONG - PAUL AHERN

HEIGHT: 181 cm WEIGHT: 77 kg
POSITION: MID/ FWD
DRAFT RANGE: 5 - 12

Before the trade period I saw the Cats looking at drafting a taller player like Goddard, Durdin or Marchbank to strengthen their tall stocks. After a trade period that netted Mitch Clark and Rhys Stanley but lost experienced players Varcoe and Christensen via trades, they improved there draft position to and I can see them looking to fill a need here for a smaller player before looking to strengthen their tall back line later in the draft.

On form I’ve rated Ahern a mid to late first round prospect for a while now and wouldn’t be upset at all if West Coast landed him at 11. At Geelong would give that explosive speed and foot skill that they have lost in Christensen and Varcoe and because of this he could make an early impact in 2015.

A goal kicking midfielder in a true sense in that he can make things happen when he gets the ball with his foot skills, explosive pace and game sense. Uses his explosive pace to make him a very dangerous player around the contest and inside 50. Has a good endurance base allowing him to run up and down the field becoming a defensive weapon inside 50 also.

His value was highlighted in the Championships leading Vic Metro for score involvements and assists and was one of Calder’s best in the losing GF picking up 26 touches and a goal.

Any updates on the remaining?

First round update. Have got a bit more spare time on my hands work/ study wise so will try and update more regularly and give my opinion on other rounds over the next 2 weeks before the draft

PICK 1: ST. KILDA - Christian Petracca - Stand out # 1 IMO
PICK 2: MELBOURNE - Angus Brayshaw - Definite needs based player
PICK 3: MELBOURNE - Jake Lever - Needs based player. More so than McCartin/ Wright IMO
PICK 4: GWS - Peter Wright - Needs based player to a team that lost tall timber during trade period
PICK 5: COLLINGWOOD - Jayden Laverde - Fits a need in their team
PICK 6: GWS - Patrick McCartin - Same as Wright. Needs based player
PICK 7: GWS - Liam Duggan - Outside class and skill. Will work well with Josh Kelly in the future.
PICK 8: GOLD COAST - Lachie Weller - Local product. Needs based pick. Look out for J. Pickett here
PICK 9: COLLINGWOOD - Darcy Moore F/S - F/S done deal. Looks a ripper
PICK 10: GEELONG - Paul Ahern - Needs based after departuresof Varcoe and Christensen
PICK 11: WEST COAST - Jarrod Pickett - DEFINITE needs based. Fingers crossed selection
PICK 12: RICHMOND - Hugh Goddard - Roughie. Unsure what way Richmond are leaning. Kyle Langford a strong chance to
PICK 13: FREMANTLE - Sam Durdin - Needs based pick.
PICK 14: ADELAIDE - Caleb Marchbank - Needs based pick. Would love to get Durdin their
PICK 15: GOLD COAST - Kyle Langford - Offers something different to their team.
PICK 16: NORTH MELBOURNE - Jordan De Goey - Have been linked with De Goey for a while now. Cockatoo a likely type also
PICK 17: ESSENDON - Nakia Cockatoo - Midfielder with serious toe. If NM pass on De Goey than he'll go here I think.
PICK 18: SYDNEY - Issac Heeney ACADEMY SELECTION - Seems a real package player. Long term star for the Swans IMO.
PICK 19: CARLTON - Corey Ellis - Outside class. Needs based pick
PICK 20: ESSENDON - Tom Lamb - Interesting one here. Added height to the HF line, could be anything.
PICK 21: ST. KILDA - Jarrod Garlett - Outside pace. If they wanted to go tall I like Tyler Keitel

That's great. What's your view on Reece Mckenzie? - I have a saints supporter going nuts over him, and now Knightmare has joined the bandwagon.

I really value your opinion and would like to know your assessment if him.

Looks pretty good to me, but who knows!
GWS with Cameron, Patton and McCarthy hard to see them choosing 2 key fwds, 2 that haven't played in defence, as Dudrin and Goddard can have played at both ends.. GWS lacking a key defender will have to use one with pick 4,6 or 7 on a key defender. Collingwood might be interested at McCartin with pick 5, Think if GWS did want those players they would pick McCartin with pick 4, and Wright will definitely be available at pick 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back