Getting to the MCG from Brunswick St Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I will finally make the trip down to Melbourne in Round 21 this year for our game against the scum (7.40pm Saturday) at the MCG and I see that Fitzroy will be playing at BSO on the same day (assuming a 2pm start), so I am hoping to go to that.

What is the best way to get from BSO to the MCG? If it is tram how long does it take and how much does it cost? Would I be able to walk and if so how long it would take? I know some of these questions are ridiculous but I've never been to Melbourne before.

Hey mate, shouldn't be that hard. If you want public transport your best bet would be to catch a tram down brunswick st from stop 21 (brunswick st oval) into the city at stop 9 (collins/spring st) then take a short 2 min walk down to Wellington Parade and you should be able to catch another tram there that will take you a couple of stops down to Jolimont station, or you could keep walking down Wellington, it's not that far maybe 8-10 mins walk. Just keep in mind that in Melbourne you need to purchase a Myki card to use public transport.

Alternatively you could just catch a cab, it shouldn't be more than $20. Hope that helps.

Hey mate, shouldn't be that hard. If you want public transport your best bet would be to catch a tram down brunswick st from stop 21 (brunswick st oval) into the city at stop 9 (collins/spring st) then take a short 2 min walk down to Wellington Parade and you should be able to catch another tram there that will take you a couple of stops down to Jolimont station, or you could keep walking down Wellington, it's not that far maybe 8-10 mins walk. Just keep in mind that in Melbourne you need to purchase a Myki card to use public transport.

Alternatively you could just catch a cab, it shouldn't be more than $20. Hope that helps.
In Brisbane you can just pay by cash for PT (although all buses/trains to major sporting events are free up here). Seems ridiculous you have to buy a card (optional up here). How much does it cost and how much effort does it require to get one?

In Brisbane you can just pay by cash for PT (although all buses/trains to major sporting events are free up here). Seems ridiculous you have to buy a card (optional up here). How much does it cost and how much effort does it require to get one?

I think it costs $6 for the actual card and you have to put money on it immediately. As for getting one, there are plenty of convenience stores/newsagents etc. all around Melbourne that sell them, some train stations have machines that spit them out too. Visit http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/buying-your-myki/ for more info. And yes, it sucks that you can no longer pay for fares straight through cash, but it's similar to London's Oyster card network

Heh times have changed. I moved from Melbourne to Brisbane and was all put out by this card crap, then they tightened it up and it became even harder to travel by cash. But apparently from the above info Melbourne have not only gone down the same track but they've rocketted past Brisbane and pooh-poohed cash entirely?

But yes, there is a tram line right outside Brunswick Street Oval that takes you straight down through Fitzroy and into the city, at which point you can alight, walk down two short blocks to either another tram line or the train, and go directly (almost) to the MCG.

Or (again as already mentioned above so I'm being completely redundant here), get off the tram from Brunswick Street Oval a little early, and walk for a bit straight south to the ground. Unless if you just adore walking around a city that's strange to you, it might be intimidating to risk your orienteering sense to try this, so the first option is probably better.

Or, again as mentioned above, just grab a cab. $20 probably.

Finally, I can actually offer something not already mentioned! Be approachable at the BSO, maybe hook up on this sub-board the week before the match, and find someone else doing both games on the day, and hitch a ride with them. I won't say Roys fans aren't all axe murderers (most probably are, to be honest), but they'll look after a fellow fan. This way you can go to the social room for brews after the Roys match and with any luck be totally shitfaced by the time you get to the G.

FitzroyRamone do you know any of the mob or tc's that would be doing the double that day?

(It's probably a bit early to know the answer to this q)

Heh times have changed. I moved from Melbourne to Brisbane and was all put out by this card crap, then they tightened it up and it became even harder to travel by cash. But apparently from the above info Melbourne have not only gone down the same track but they've rocketted past Brisbane and pooh-poohed cash entirely?

But yes, there is a tram line right outside Brunswick Street Oval that takes you straight down through Fitzroy and into the city, at which point you can alight, walk down two short blocks to either another tram line or the train, and go directly (almost) to the MCG.

Or (again as already mentioned above so I'm being completely redundant here), get off the tram from Brunswick Street Oval a little early, and walk for a bit straight south to the ground. Unless if you just adore walking around a city that's strange to you, it might be intimidating to risk your orienteering sense to try this, so the first option is probably better.

Or, again as mentioned above, just grab a cab. $20 probably.

Finally, I can actually offer something not already mentioned! Be approachable at the BSO, maybe hook up on this sub-board the week before the match, and find someone else doing both games on the day, and hitch a ride with them. I won't say Roys fans aren't all axe murderers (most probably are, to be honest), but they'll look after a fellow fan. This way you can go to the social room for brews after the Roys match and with any luck be totally shitfaced by the time you get to the G.

FitzroyRamone do you know any of the mob or tc's that would be doing the double that day?

(It's probably a bit early to know the answer to this q)
So good to see you in such splendid form. You are in our thoughts.

I will finally make the trip down to Melbourne in Round 21 this year for our game against the scum (7.40pm Saturday) at the MCG and I see that Fitzroy will be playing at BSO on the same day (assuming a 2pm start), so I am hoping to go to that.

What is the best way to get from BSO to the MCG? If it is tram how long does it take and how much does it cost? Would I be able to walk and if so how long it would take? I know some of these questions are ridiculous but I've never been to Melbourne before.
Hey mate,

I live in the area. I tend to walk to the footy and always actually enjoy it – there's not much more Melbourne than a freezin' day and walking through Fitzroy Gardens, ducking the underpass, and seeing the swarm and then those lights. It's good fun and I never get tired of it. As a footy fan, you really have to experience that. Don't get a cab or a tram.

Well you could get a tram, the 112 goes all the way down Brunswick Street and you could have a look online on a stop (it shouldn't be farther than 100 metres at the absolute most). If you stay in the city you might just find it easier to walk around when you're here so I wouldn't worry with the Myki unless you want to go to the suburbs or St Kilda or something. I've never seen an inspector on a tram so I'd just hop on. I'd jump off the tram, and usually do, right near Parliament Station (again, look online – easy to find) and then walk through the old Parliament buildings, down into Fitzroy Gardens. The walk from there'll take like 15 minutes, and the tram will be another... maybe ten on-top. That's probably the best way.

Fitzroy is the most best suburb in Melbourne and on a Saturday night, it might be fun to walk down the street (it's full of pubs and bars, but not like the Valley or anything) and suss it out. There's an indescribable vibe to the inner city at night here, it's the coolest.

Hi Everton

This is really more a general response about getting around Melbourne. I spent a week in there last October. IMO the public transport infrastructure is very good, much better than in Brisbane. Just keep in mind you will have to get a Myki card (their version of a goCard) because they don't have paper tickets at all. You can pick one up at any 7-11 and there are heaps of those around. The other thing is Melbourne is a great walking city. The paths are wide and it is pretty flat. When I was there I walked from Flinders Street station to Parkville every day which is like Southbank to THe Valley and it took no time at all. Don't stress too much if you can't nut out exactly which tram to get on because the MCG is quite an easy walk from the city.

Edit: I see you have already been told about paper tickets.

There will be a few of us making the trip down, FitzroyRamone and myself will be amongst them. The trip if done by tram takes about 20 minutes (that's tram and walk to MCG), if you want to enjoy the beverages available along Brunswick St at some of the finer establishments then it can be arranged to get you to the ground around about 7:20pm. The other alternative, which is generally our preferred option, is a quick visit to a nearby watering hole (Royal Debry before Fitzroy game, can be anywhere after) then meeting up with some others at another watering hole near the ground (generally Cricketers Arms as most get off at Richmond station).

You'll need to remind me closer to the game if you want to organise where to meet.

Bump - My hotel will be near Docklands Stadium, what bus route do I take to get to BSO?

Thanks in advance

Seriously unless you're on a tight tight budget use taxi's it'll be less heartache in the long run.

Ended up taking the 96 but was late because part of the route was suspended due to protests and I got off a few stops early.

Interesting experience being at BSO though and walking around the streets of Fitzroy. Ended up walking to the MCG from BSO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how was your visit to our great town? Was certainly an experience Saturday night to beat the filth at the G

So how was your visit to our great town? Was certainly an experience Saturday night to beat the filth at the G
Mostly good, love Docklands and the G, enjoyed BSO and the CBD, but I can also see how Victoria is known as the nanny state.

Mostly good, love Docklands and the G, enjoyed BSO and the CBD, but I can also see how Victoria is known as the nanny state.

Yeah, some local laws/penalties are absolute BS, what happened though to form that opinion?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back