GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree.

So it seems like its down to 7 teams for the 5 finals spots unless something changes drastically with Joeys clearly a certainty to make finals.

Leopold
Albans
Grovedale
Bell Park
Newtown
Colac

Which 2 don't make it??

albans/bell park

Yeah at this stage I'd say St. Albans and Bell Park to miss out. Grovedale have an extremely tough draw tho so I don't think they're certainties either. Joeys clearly flag favourites but they're definitely beatable.

Yeah at this stage I'd say St. Albans and Bell Park to miss out. Grovedale have an extremely tough draw tho so I don't think they're certainties either. Joeys clearly flag favourites but they're definitely beatable.

How many wins do you need to make finals you think? they are on 5 and still have Lara, North Shore, St Marys and South Barwon which you would assume will be wins which makes it 9, then St Albans at home and if they can sneek one or two against a couple of top teams they should be ok.

It's very hard to tell though because even Leopold are struggling a bit and they are 5th with a bit of a tough draw,I actually think Colac will struggle, i know they play well in Colac but they lost players and they have some key injuries plus they have played 1 extra game so this week they will be down with the 4th and 5th sides

Last edited:

I don't think its any worse then anyone elses apart from they only have lara once, still have north shore, south barwon, st marys, lara. You probably need 11 or 12 wins to make finals, they are on 5 and there is 4 you should win so they only need to win 2 or 3 of the others.

How many wins do you need to make finals you think? they are on 5 and still have Lara, North Shore, St Marys and South Barwon which you would assume will be wins which makes it 9, then St Albans at home and if they can sneek one or two against a couple of top teams they should be ok.

It's very hard to tell though because even Leopold are struggling a bit and they are 5th with a bit of a tough draw,I actually think Colac will struggle, i know they play well in Colac but they lost players and they have some key injuries plus they have played 1 extra game so this week they will be down with the 4th and 5th sides

predictions this week guys?

Take that back about Colac they have a very favourable draw and should win there next 7 or the very least 6 out of 7 which gets them 13 wins with 3 rounds to go, also bell park seem to have a favorable draw n when they play teams around them they play them at hamlyn park so it will certainly be a tight finish, round 18 has Bell Park v Albans, Newtown V Colac and If Grovedale need percentage to make it they finish with Lara. Hopefully things are up in the air still come round 18

Take that back about Colac they have a very favourable draw and should win there next 7 or the very least 6 out of 7 which gets them 13 wins with 3 rounds to go, also bell park seem to have a favorable draw n when they play teams around them they play them at hamlyn park so it will certainly be a tight finish, round 18 has Bell Park v Albans, Newtown V Colac and If Grovedale need percentage to make it they finish with Lara. Hopefully things are up in the air still come round 18

I reckon 12 wins will probably get you 5th spot. Of the top of my head I reckon Grovey have to play Newtown x2 Bell Park x2 Colac-away, Joeys-away, plus some tough games against St Mary's and St. Albans.

I can see them splitting there games with Newtown and Bell Park, losing in Colac and away to Joeys. That'd give Grovey 12 wins for the year which may sneak them into the 5. I reckon I'm being a tad conservative with my predictions here but it's such a tight comp this year that you can't really pencil any games in as a definite win, besides when playing Lara

I reckon 12 wins will probably get you 5th spot. Of the top of my head I reckon Grovey have to play Newtown x2 Bell Park x2 Colac-away, Joeys-away, plus some tough games against St Mary's and St. Albans.

I can see them splitting there games with Newtown and Bell Park, losing in Colac and away to Joeys. That'd give Grovey 12 wins for the year which may sneak them into the 5. I reckon I'm being a tad conservative with my predictions here but it's such a tight comp this year that you can't really pencil any games in as a definite win, besides when playing Lara

big INs for St Marys. Possible upset on the cards?

big INs for St Marys. Possible upset on the cards?

St Mary's aren't push overs but if Grovey play close to there best then I think they'd win comfortably. Gillies missing is a big out for them, who will play on Erskine ?

St Mary's aren't push overs but if Grovey play close to there best then I think they'd win comfortably. Gillies missing is a big out for them, who will play on Erskine ?
O'Donohue I would suggest. Kept him pretty quiet in round 1. Expecting Grovey to be too strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what is match of the round this week? like who are they commentating? surely joeys v albans
Anyone who thinks now that the whole Geelong footy region doesn't need restructuring asap, with salary caps etc. etc. and the points system to be brought in, is wrong. Some of the results in GFL footy today, seniors and reserves, tell us that this so called best footy league in country Victoria is in big, big trouble. Money has almost killed footy as we used to know it, how can 512 points to 19 points (combined scores today Leopold vs Lara seniors and ressie's) be any good in this league or any league in Victoria?? And the once mighty Sth Barwon kicked 8 points only in there ressie's today, so there's no depth there obviously, in a team that 2 years ago were considered the best team in the state, country and city combined, outside of VFL and AFL.

Anyone who thinks now that the whole Geelong footy region doesn't need restructuring asap, with salary caps etc. etc. and the points system to be brought in, is wrong. Some of the results in GFL footy today, seniors and reserves, tell us that this so called best footy league in country Victoria is in big, big trouble. Money has almost killed footy as we used to know it, how can 512 points to 19 points (combined scores today Leopold vs Lara seniors and ressie's) be any good in this league or any league in Victoria?? And the once mighty Sth Barwon kicked 8 points only in there ressie's today, so there's no depth there obviously, in a team that 2 years ago were considered the best team in the state, country and city combined, outside of VFL and AFL.

Turn it up. For as long as country/metro footy has been being played there's been results like that. It goes in cycles, do you think anyone besides south people are upset about there current situation ? They've been the best club in Geelong and probably Victoria for 10 years they can't be good every year. As for Lara, they're obviously paying the price for poor decisions over the past few years and are now paying the consequences. Using Grovedale as an example, 3 years ago the seniors won 1 game for the year and got belted most weeks and the reserves went 2 and a half years without winning a game. The very next year Grovey made a grand final and now the both seniors and reserves are very strong. Like I said things go in cycles.

And this is why I would've preferred to see the restructure of the leagues around Geelong before this points system was bought in. To me it's a cop out and an easy solution to clubs that for whatever reason can't compete with other clubs to want an equalisation implemented to make things 'fairer'

I'll ask you this, do you think the points system will make a Lara, Newcomb or Corio more competitive ?

Turn it up. For as long as country/metro footy has been being played there's been results like that. It goes in cycles, do you think anyone besides south people are upset about there current situation ? They've been the best club in Geelong and probably Victoria for 10 years they can't be good every year. As for Lara, they're obviously paying the price for poor decisions over the past few years and are now paying the consequences. Using Grovedale as an example, 3 years ago the seniors won 1 game for the year and got belted most weeks and the reserves went 2 and a half years without winning a game. The very next year Grovey made a grand final and now the both seniors and reserves are very strong. Like I said things go in cycles.

And this is why I would've preferred to see the restructure of the leagues around Geelong before this points system was bought in. To me it's a cop out and an easy solution to clubs that for whatever reason can't compete with other clubs to want an equalisation implemented to make things 'fairer'

I'll ask you this, do you think the points system will make a Lara, Newcomb or Corio more competitive ?
Fully agree. Two years ago, both Lara sides played finals. And with smart recruiting and strong juniors they well could again in two years time. What goes up must eventually come down and will then rise again. The exception here probably being Newcomb.

The simple answer to your question is 'YES' in Lara's case. I'd be very interested in your learned opinion which 'poor decisions' Lara made over the last few years.

The simple answer to your question is 'YES' in Lara's case. I'd be very interested in your learned opinion which 'poor decisions' Lara made over the last few years.

How about the fact that they're yet to square up player payments from 2014 and we're now half way thru 2015. Unless there's been problems with securing money from sponsors then I'd say they've made a mistake in offering money to players that the club obviously didn't have. If that's the case then that would constitute a poor decision would it not ?

I'd also be very interested in your 'learned' opinion what makes you think the points system is going to make Lara improve next year ? I can't imagine many potential recruits being to keen on playing for a side that's just had a 285 point loss and is likely to cop a few more massive defeats before the season ends. Unless Jimmy Allan is coming back again ?

My question related to 'decisions' - unless you're suggesting Lara made a conscious decision to not pay their players you still haven't come up with anything concrete. As far as the points system is concerned, I suggest you familiarise yourself with the concept of equalisation.

Last edited:
I agree they're premiership favorites but they're unlikely to have their VFL blokes for the majority of their season. Despite being a seriously talented young side, after watching their reserves they don't appear to have too much depth if they cop 4-5 injuries at the business end of the year. To say a team has it in the bag after 7 rounds is very foolish! Especially considering Joeys finals record...
i saw thm again yesterday and they just looked a level above st albans who have been in relatively good form. al hickey and dan measures also got the call up to the vfl late. and jacko davis and brett jackman didnt play either, and they still won by 80!
im not a joeys fan i just like getting to the local games but i think their depth looks ok, going by the results site their 2s have only lost 1 game and it was by just 2 goals. but youre right nothing is in the bag. ive said it all along but i still think newtown will click and be a force

My question related to 'decisions' - unless you're suggesting Lara made a conscious decision to not pay their players you still haven't come up with anything concrete. As far as the points system is concerned, I suggest you familiarise yourself with the concept of equalisation.
poor decisions get you in such a poor state! lara was a good club with strong juniors and the club chose to pay big names and try and chase a flag. you were playing finals a few years ago and you are now at the bottom because you ****ed up, not becaus of anything or anyone else. poor attitude to have!

What an intelligent, informed response - you still haven't provided any evidence of poor
poor decisions get you in such a poor state! lara was a good club with strong juniors and the club chose to pay big names and try and chase a flag. you were playing finals a few years ago and you are now at the bottom because you stuffed up, not becaus of anything or anyone else. poor attitude to have!

What an intelligent, informed response - you still haven't provided any evidence of poor
so whats your reason of being in such a bad state? it's not their fault at all? they're a victim of the GFL and their conspiracies? you recruited guys on huge money like peter street and jimmy allan and now can't afford to pay anyone else = poor decision

Remove this Banner Ad

Back