GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's only 2s footy but grovey got a reality check today to the tune of 49 points after a few people on here were talking them up.

:) And will only get stronger once D McFarlane..D Goodwin..L Forbes..J Betts are back.
These 4 senior players will push 4 players back into the ressies.

Last edited:
:) And will only get stronger once D McFarlane..D Goodwin..L Forbes..J Betts are back.

You're obviously a Newtown supporter ? Disappointing result really considering Newtown were probably on top for long periods but just stopped in the last quarter, the game could've nearly been over at half time but Newtown allowed Grovey to kick a few quick ones and remain close before the tiges made there move in the last quarter. I thoughts Forbes was out for the year ? And I would've thought betts is a long shot to play again this year. Still Newtown are a very handy side and should be around the mark towards finals time.

Really, you guys are posting about ressies footy? Says something about the lack of interest in the GFL, too many blow outs, despite 2 close ones today.

To be fair it was 2 undefeated sides that had been flogging everyone else and judging by the crowd that was already up there at 12 I'd suggest that there was plenty of interest in the game.

And I'd hardly say there's no interest in GFL senior footy this year. Joeys are clear favourites but they're definitely beatable plus there's still 7 sides still with a chance of playing finals. What's everyone make of Leopold ? Flogged yesterday by joeys and flogged a few weeks ago by Grovey. I still think they're a very good side but they've had 2 big defeats against other premiership contenders so there might be a few question marks on them. Colac were written off by many at the start of the year but they just keep winning and they just don't lose at home. St. Albans have had a tough 3 weeks and I think it's shown what many of us suspected, they're not quite a top 5 side yet.

Couple of huge games next week Bell Park vs Grovey and Leopold vs Newtown. Depending on results, Colac and Grovey could have a 2 game buffer on 4th which will really set both sides up for the run home.

Don't underestimate the losses of Close and Ruggles to Leopold. One was the general down back - the other the match winner up forward. They don't look the same side this year without those two. They will beat Newtown this week as those two will play due to Geelong bye.

Bottom line with Leopold is we can't afford any injuries because there is a lack of depth atm.Sides like Joeys, grovey and the towners can cover outs, where as the pold Losing Cross, Boyd, and Haworth leading up to Saturday and then Sam Scott to Nth Ballarat really hurts as the four that come in are not up to it. The old saying is that you are only as good as your bottom 4 or 5 is so true in this comp. Not sure Ruggles and Close will be coming back this week as they are highly rated at VFL and will probably be rested.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You're obviously a Newtown supporter ? Disappointing result really considering Newtown were probably on top for long periods but just stopped in the last quarter, the game could've nearly been over at half time but Newtown allowed Grovey to kick a few quick ones and remain close before the tiges made there move in the last quarter. I thoughts Forbes was out for the year ? And I would've thought betts is a long shot to play again this year. Still Newtown are a very handy side and should be around the mark towards finals time.
I heard a whisper that Forbes is returning via the 2s this week

Newtown looked a very good side in the twos, the senior side was good also but injuries probably helped them lose the game on saturday as i think they only had 1 on the bench.

Just on those guys, say they get bett and forbes back how do they all fit in the side with sheahan, hocking, O'Keefe and McCorkell? not much speed or defensive pressure as there normally would be?

Newtown looked a very good side in the twos, the senior side was good also but injuries probably helped them lose the game on saturday as i think they only had 1 on the bench.

Just on those guys, say they get bett and forbes back how do they all fit in the side with sheahan, hocking, O'Keefe and McCorkell? not much speed or defensive pressure as there normally would be?
Hocking spent a bit of time in the 2s last year when forbes was firing so i'd imaging it may be a similar scenario

Interesting to read that Abbott won the ruck 9 out of 10 times. What's happened to David Fanning - is he struggling?? Hardly been in best players and people I talk to say he is as slow as a month of Sunday's and doesn't jump at centre bounces

Interesting article on Krock website re joeys VFL players. Their coach says if their VFL players over qualify for finals and are available for joeys at the back end of the year he won't play them. Can't blame him really. If they aren't gonna go forward with them why would you play them. I think the rule should be why Geelong are playing they should be right. For example if Geelong VFL make finals and a GFL player doesn't get a game with VFL he should be able to play for his home club. Bit like the senior/reserve qualification when it comes to finals

Interesting to read that Abbott won the ruck 9 out of 10 times. What's happened to David Fanning - is he struggling?? Hardly been in best players and people I talk to say he is as slow as a month of Sunday's and doesn't jump at centre bounces

There you are Newcomer...best on ground Saturday for Fanning.

But still think young Hovey will run Fanning's legs off in a couple of weeks.
It's like having an extra on baller with Hovey playing.

Last edited:
Haha glad he read my thread and it fired him up. Who can I run into form now?? On a side note have heard McPhee hurt himself in first qtr the other week and was seen leaving the ground half way through second qtr. can someone confirm or deny this rumour - if true an absolute disgrace

So on the weekends results it seems Leopold may not be the team that we thought? Bell Park also. Big games next week between Leopold & BellPark, if bell park lose, that will make it more difficult for them to make finals, Grovedale V Colac, winner probably cements a finals spot i would have thought. On St Josephs, Is Dale Carson at full forward the way to go for joeys? and Paul Carson is in some amazing form this season playing out of the square, 40 goals in 10 games is an amazing effort for someone who has not played alot of football lately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for some predictions
Top 5 at years end
Joeys
Grovey
Newtown
Colac
Bell Park

Leading goal kicker
Perkins 81
Mathieson Medal
Ryan Abbott
premiers
Have to go joeys - but Grovey are coming

St. Joseph's 2.40
Colac 3.40
Grovedale 4.20
Newtown & Chilwell 6.50
Leopold 8.00
St. Albans 13.00
Bell Park 16.00
South Barwon 101.00
Geelong West St. Peters 251.00
St. Mary's 501.00
North Shore 501.00
Lara 1001.00

Top 5 at years end
Joeys
Grovey
Newtown
Colac
Bell Park

Leading goal kicker
Perkins 81
Mathieson Medal
Ryan Abbott
premiers

What no Leopold? They'll be there.
I suspect that a few of their players looked like they had the flu on the weekend.
Am I right Hotofthepress?

Last edited:
Top 5 at years end
Joeys
Grovey
Newtown
Colac
Bell Park

Leading goal kicker
Perkins 81
Mathieson Medal
Ryan Abbott
premiers

Abbott wont go close to winning the league but he will probably win the clubs, they just don't poll well ruckmen. Will be interesting if Perkins is say 9 or 10 in front of Erskine going into the last game when grovey have lara. Im tipping Dan Lovick to win the mathieson by a fair margin

G'day guys, What's the latest on McPhee. St. Mary's happy with their high priced recruit or what?

Abbott wont go close to winning the league but he will probably win the clubs, they just don't poll well ruckmen. Will be interesting if Perkins is say 9 or 10 in front of Erskine going into the last game when grovey have lara. Im tipping Dan Lovick to win the mathieson by a fair margin

Will be a shame if he doesn't at least poll well, he's been the best ruckman in the comp for at least 2 years IMO and is having a great year this year. Huge game this week Colac vs Grovey, winner will pretty much have a top 3 spot sewn up you'd reckon.

G'day guys, What's the latest on McPhee. St. Mary's happy with their high priced recruit or what?
Yeah the gamble hasn't paid off to be honest mate. Just the three goals from five matches (at least three of which he's broken down and come off injured). Probably due to the lack of conditioning as he is unable to train two nights a week due to work commitments. Has shown flashes of brilliance when he's been on the park but the bloke just can't get his body right. Not the first high-profile name to fail at GFL level but the club is obviously disappointed with his output. Which is a shame as he is a really nice bloke.

Yeah the gamble hasn't paid off to be honest mate. Just the three goals from five matches (at least three of which he's broken down and come off injured). Probably due to the lack of conditioning as he is unable to train two nights a week due to work commitments. Has shown flashes of brilliance when he's been on the park but the bloke just can't get his body right. Not the first high-profile name to fail at GFL level but the club is obviously disappointed with his output. Which is a shame as he is a really nice bloke.
Mmmmmmm, no due diligence done here by the St Mary's mob I'd say. How can a GFL team pay a lot of money (wonder how much) for a bloke who can't even train twice a week?? Did they know this before recruiting him? You don't get a game in the Under 14's if you don't train. But he's a good bloke, so that makes it ok. More money down the drain on an ex AFL hack.

Fair enough mate, was a great player in the EDFL a few years ago but in his last season struggled with work and Greenvale suffered as a result because he had time away from footy. Great bloke agree and I hear he may be on the lookout to move in 2016. Have you heard the same?

Fair enough mate, was a great player in the EDFL a few years ago but in his last season struggled with work and Greenvale suffered as a result because he had time away from footy. Great bloke agree and I hear he may be on the lookout to move in 2016. Have you heard the same?
We get it, he's a great bloke. But at least 2 clubs have suffered by his presence, in that he can't train because of work, then plays unfit, doesn't perform, gets injured and then misses games. Does he hand back his substantial paycheck when he lets these teams down?, No. He's just another money hungry AFL hack who should give it away (But a great bloke).

Not to my knowledge mate. I know he's bought a place down in Barwon Heads and has a young family so if he plays anywhere else it would probably be for a Bellarine club. Which given his work schedule, would probably suit him better playing a lower grade of footy. But then again if his body continues the way it has he's more likely to hang up the boots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back