GFL Season 2016

falsenine

Debutant
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Grovey's poor showing yesterday was to be expected after their past couple of months. They'd lost to all 4 finalists in the past 2 months and were shown yesterday that their game that worked for them earlier in the year, doesn't stand up in finals.

Saturday's game was an interesting one. Colac looked completely in control for the first 2.5 quarters before the Dragons came storming home. Bell Park are capable of causing some serious damage this month if they can play anywhere like that for 4 quarters. Some great matches to look forward to on Simonds next week.

Inspector Rex

Debutant
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
First thing they need is a fitness coach. Some of the players playing yesterday weren't in good enough condition to play GFL finals. I won't name them but that was plain to see. Watch joeys when they run out Saturday - not an ounce of fat on any of them. Secondly in my opinion they have too many inside mids - McKenzie, Surkit, Deans, Stanley, Young are all the same types. Strong, tough good ball winners but no speed. Lastly they need small forwards that can keep footy locked inside 50. Razga and Erskine don't pressure so they need someone to do it and also to get to their feet

Spot on post! It was noticeable from the start of the year that they looked like they struggled to run out games. Prime examples where they gave up a 3 goal lead against joeys midway thru the last quarter and again when they led Leopold by 80 points at 3/4 and Leopold actually got the margin down to 18 points late in the last quarter. The midfield is way to stacked with inside mids, Donohue probably the only one with the pace and skills but they seem to prefer to have him running off half back. Bit harsh on Razga I reckon, he's a very good competitor. Costello was also a pretty handy small forward before he went to down injured. There's a bit to work with there but there is a few glaring holes that'll need addressing.

vampire

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
Grovedale
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Grovedale
What do you think they need for next year vampire ? To me Grovey are a long way off the pace but won a lot of games thru hard work and pressure. When that pressure is off they've been found out against the better sides. They're skill level is a long way off the other top 4 plus Leopold in my opinion. For me, they need more pace and skill around the middle of the ground and a big presence around center half forward. Hopefully these deficiencies can be addressed in the pre season otherwise I think Grovey will drop off fairly quickly.

Agree also with the umpiring yesterday. Didn't effect the result as Grovey were truly awful but a lot of the 6 50's given against them in the first half yesterday had everyone around me scratching their heads.

Im not sure they need a presence as such, i think the problem is the talls get balls kicked on there heads and at there feet where as other teams hit there forwards lace out. Grovey have 3 good talls i think they need some skill and pace, and probably looking at it they all need to get fitter because the big grounds they struggle which says they either arent fit enough or there game is based around repeat stoppages and once they get beat in the middle they cant hold up

have eyes

Senior List
Apr 17, 2010
hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
i would like to say how good is Williams?Probably had the most influence on the win against Leopold!
The 2 most important players this week are Lovick & Williams.
Big job Colac?

footyman13

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Portarlington
Grovedale have alot of work to do, on the other hand newtown very impressive, will be a great contest next sunday

On a different note (not that it would have affected the result) That was one of the worst umpiring displays ive seen, not normally an umpire basher but if that's the best we got then its going to ruin games of football
In my experience watching, playing, coaching and umpiring in footy, the ones that say "not normally an umpire basher", are the umpire bashers. The umpire bashers also say "one of the worst umpiring displays I've seen".

vampire

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
Grovedale
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Grovedale
feel free to go through my previous posts and see how many times ive bagged the umpiring, not many i would have thought. I have the utmost respect for umpires as they have to put up with alot of crap and really is a tough gig mentally, but when blokes go back with the flight of the ball not watching the ball and slam into the opponent and there is no free kick paid, you know they are having a bad day

beaublazer

Debutant
Jan 12, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
feel free to go through my previous posts and see how many times ive bagged the umpiring, not many i would have thought. I have the utmost respect for umpires as they have to put up with alot of crap and really is a tough gig mentally, but when blokes go back with the flight of the ball not watching the ball and slam into the opponent and there is no free kick paid, you know they are having a bad day

It's the same around the 3 Geelong leagues this time of the year. Some umpires, usually the younger and inexperienced, over umpire the game to get themselves involved. I'm not sure if they are trying to stand out and be noticed by their coach so they can get selected in a GF or what.
The best games of footy an in particular finals footy are when the umpires let the game flow a bit. Obviously they are there to pick the obvious ones and most importantly protect the player attacking the ball but too many times I see a game umpired 3 different ways by the 3 different umpires.

footyman13

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Portarlington
It's the same around the 3 Geelong leagues this time of the year. Some umpires, usually the younger and inexperienced, over umpire the game to get themselves involved. I'm not sure if they are trying to stand out and be noticed by their coach so they can get selected in a GF or what.
The best games of footy an in particular finals footy are when the umpires let the game flow a bit. Obviously they are there to pick the obvious ones and most importantly protect the player attacking the ball but too many times I see a game umpired 3 different ways by the 3 different umpires.
Fair enough Vampire, and Beaublazer. But I think they umpire the same all year round at all levels. They make mistakes, players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, supporters see things that aren't there. Just seems worse in finals because there's more at stake. Some things you may notice in a Colac v St Joeys game for example, you wouldn't notice in a Colac v Lara match. One great junior umpire used to come into the rooms before a game and say " If you guys kick the ball out on the full, or miss a goal from 10 metres out, I won't criticise you, so if I miss a free kick that you think was there, don't criticise me".

falsenine

Debutant
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Emphatic win from joeys yesterday in perfect conditions on SS, they had winners all over the ground. Only downside was losing Haintz in the first half with a suspected broken collarbone. Colac have a week to pick themselves up before facing today's winner and they'll likely have to do it without Kane Leersen who appeared to come off in the third quarter with a broken arm. Would love to know how many sides have bounced back in a final after a 100 pt loss. Linton was yellow carded late in the game for making head high contact to a Joeys defender, it looked more reckless than malicious in my opinion.

Interesting to see in the two's Newtown got done. Just their 2nd loss for the year (both to Grovey) after having won their first 15. Likely to face Joeys next week and they could very well go out in straight sets.

Last edited:

vampire

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
Grovedale
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Grovedale
I don't really like Newtown but i hope they beat Colac and play Joeys in the granny because they are red hot and it will be a great game, i know Joeys just smashed Colac but i think Newtown could give them a good run for there money

have eyes

Senior List
Apr 17, 2010
hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't really like Newtown but i hope they beat Colac and play Joeys in the granny because they are red hot and it will be a great game, i know Joeys just smashed Colac but i think Newtown could give them a good run for there money

Newcomer..Boogeyman48.What do you think?

have eyes

Senior List
Apr 17, 2010
hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very surprised Hovey wasn't sited on video for taking Leersten out @ the 5 minute mark of the third quarter against Colac.
No hands up to contest or spoil the mark nor eyes on the ball.
Just powered into his back of Leersten as Williams took the mark?

Last edited:

Newcomer

Debutant
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Super effort from joeys to have all 3 teams playing this Saturday. Congratulations to all involved at club. When was the last time a club had all three sides in????

boogeyman48

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
massive effort from joeys 2s to get the win against newtown yesterday! newtown finished top and lost 1 game for the h&a season, joeys were down to 3 on the bench for the 2nd half and came from behind to pinch a win. as newcomer said great for the club to have all 3 teams competing next week.

happy for newtown to make the granny, they are next best side in the league talent wise. i always said it was a matter of time before they put it all together! i think it'll be a bloody good showdown, especially if dane mcfarlane plays.

falsenine

Debutant
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Congratulations to Joeys, a very good game to watch yesterday. Newtown certainly had their chances but couldn't stop a rampaging third quarter from the premiers.

Dale Carson was brilliant with 5 goals in the third term after being well beaten by Forbes before half time. He let himself down on the final siren I thought - ran from CHB down to the Newtown faithful in the pocket to give them an up yours. Admittedly, the same section of the crowd had been giving him grief earlier in the match but disappointing to think your first reaction after winning a long-awaited premiership is to taunt the opposition rather than embrace your own team-mates.

footyman13

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Portarlington
Congratulations to Joeys, a very good game to watch yesterday. Newtown certainly had their chances but couldn't stop a rampaging third quarter from the premiers.

Dale Carson was brilliant with 5 goals in the third term after being well beaten by Forbes before half time. He let himself down on the final siren I thought - ran from CHB down to the Newtown faithful in the pocket to give them an up yours. Admittedly, the same section of the crowd had been giving him grief earlier in the match but disappointing to think your first reaction after winning a long-awaited premiership is to taunt the opposition rather than embrace your own team-mates.
Mmmm, bagging players from other teams, but upset when anyone has a go at Ammos or Mary's? So who did hit Jarrod Mathers, or too close to home??

falsenine

Debutant
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Mmmm, bagging players from other teams, but upset when anyone has a go at Ammos or Mary's? So who did hit Jarrod Mathers, or too close to home??
Couldn't tell you champ. Don't know if you were there but I thought it was one of the great local footy brawls. A few minutes of madness then everyone got on with the game.

footyman13

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Portarlington
Couldn't tell you champ. Don't know if you were there but I thought it was one of the great local footy brawls. A few minutes of madness then everyone got on with the game.
Fair enough, we'll see what happens.

footyman13

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Portarlington
Not surprised Geelong Amatuer's Kane Smith got cited from BFL Grand Final (posting on here because can't get on BFL site?) Saw him do some low, gutless acts during the season. Need to weed out these sort of blokes, bit of a sniper, throw a punch into a pack then back off type of player.

Back