Universal Love Horlin-Smith - '20 and 3'

Remove this Banner Ad

I know right. I said after the pre season he deserved to play over Caddy and barely no one would have a bar of it. He smashed the Sydney game and I thought he was safe but then he got injured and barely played again. Was not impressed. Just like I defended Guthrie when virtually everyone wanted him dropped. Both kids are guns. Future 200 gamers.

It seems we think alike. Even 3 weeks ago you would have been tarred and feathered for daring to suggest that.

Brown should not come back for quite a while. Blicavs game was far better than Brown will ever put up

Didn't take long. Yeah 12 touches as a winger is such a clear comparison to playing as a centre half forward. It wasn't as good as Brown's game 3 weeks ago for what it's worth.

I hate to break it to people - they play COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POSITIONS. Comparing them is just saying "I like player A more than player B, and this proves it". Unless they're actually both playing as key forwards there is no comparison.

I wonder if those who nominated Blicavs as instant star centre half forward happened to notice that he didn't actually play there last night? Notice that the match committee - that august body that can do no wrong - played him on the wing again. They might actually be developing him as a winger!

So for all the renting of garmets about Blicavs being a guaranteed CHF (and a great one at that), well even with Brown injured, and Walker in the VFL, they still didn't try it. To paraphrase everyone else on this board - perhaps they know better than us where his value is right now.

Didn't take long. Yeah 12 touches as a winger is such a clear comparison to playing as a centre half forward. It wasn't as good as Brown's game 3 weeks ago for what it's worth.

I hate to break it to people - they play COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POSITIONS. Comparing them is just saying "I like player A more than player B, and this proves it". Unless they're actually both playing as key forwards there is no comparison.

I wonder if those who nominated Blicavs as instant star centre half forward happened to notice that he didn't actually play there last night? Notice that the match committee - that august body that can do no wrong - played him on the wing again. They might actually be developing him as a winger!

So for all the renting of garmets about Blicavs being a guaranteed CHF (and a great one at that), well even with Brown injured, and Walker in the VFL, they still didn't try it. To paraphrase everyone else on this board - perhaps they know better than us where his value is right now.
As much as I hate to say it, Blicavs value is in the VFL right now. He isn't playing as a ruck and 12 touches just isn't enough to lock down a spot.

One of Brown and Walker has to come in against Hawthorn, because they structure so well across half back even without their optimal key defenders. Tomahawk would be double teamed out of the game, so we definitely need another tall forward; in my mind it should be Brown.

One of Burbury, Murdoch, Varcoe or Blicavs should be dropped. History tells us it won't be Varcoe, and Murdoch has had a great game against Hawthorn in the past, so it's between Blicavs and Burbury. In my opinion Burbury was better than Blicavs and his pressure acts will be more important against a team like Hawthorn.

hate to say it but I wouldn't get our hopes up because we have seen this happen a little too often when it comes to Horlin-Smith, plays a very good game but is either dropped the following week or made the sub so fingers crossed he does play against Hawthorn, if he doesn't. . . what on earth is going on :confused:

I think though people are slowly realising being the sub isn't a demotion, it's really a rotation now. I suspect having Corey still on the list last year meant one less spot up for grabs. There's absolutely no reason why he isn't best 22 now. No other midfielder in the under 50 games group is averaging 18 touches and 2 goals a game this year.

I think though people are slowly realising being the sub isn't a demotion, it's really a rotation now. I suspect having Corey still on the list last year meant one less spot up for grabs. There's absolutely no reason why he isn't best 22 now. No other midfielder in the under 50 games group is averaging 18 touches and 2 goals a game this year.

Scott has said several times (last year and this) that they have a long-term, ie season-long, plan for the subs, and that it's a team of 22, not 21 + sub.
I have absolutely no idea what the plan is but, then, I have absolutely no idea what a lot of their plans are.

Scott has said several times (last year and this) that they have a long-term, ie season-long, plan for the subs, and that it's a team of 22, not 21 + sub.
I have absolutely no idea what the plan is but, then, I have absolutely no idea what a lot of their plans are.

I'm guessing one big reason is maintenance of the players. Everyone under 50 games needs the odd rest, as they won't be consistent or starring every week. Being the sub every 6th game as a midfielder helps; they play one quarter instead of four and obviously helps with niggles and soreness. Very smart planning.

I'm guessing one big reason is maintenance of the players. Everyone under 50 games needs the odd rest, as they won't be consistent or starring every week. Being the sub every 6th game as a midfielder helps; they play one quarter instead of four and obviously helps with niggles and soreness. Very smart planning.

I think you're probably right about rest being one of the drivers, though it has less relevance at this time of the year, and not in the case of blokes coming up from the 2nds.
Other factors obviously include planned alterations to structure later in the game, eg a mid for a ruckman, or a big winger for a decoy CHF.
I wonder who runs the spreadsheet? ;)

:thumbsu: Thanks mate, saved me having to say it.

Another excellent game from GHS last night (have to try finding his "pressure acts" before giving him the full stamp of approval though :rolleyes: )
Very composed young footballer who won't be seeing any more VFL action if he continues at/near the standard of the last two weeks.

Think a few myths are being laid to rest at the moment, that he's to slow to make it at the elite level, that we can't play the two big rucks because it would make us to slow, also that players need to be fast tracked by playing AFL, getting a good grounding at the lower level doesn't seem to have done young George any harm.

I think you're probably right about rest being one of the drivers, though it has less relevance at this time of the year, and not in the case of blokes coming up from the 2nds.
Other factors obviously include planned alterations to structure later in the game, eg a mid for a ruckman, or a big winger for a decoy CHF.

I'd love to see it. We'd probably stare in wonder.

:thumbsu: Thanks mate, saved me having to say it.

Another excellent game from GHS last night (have to try finding his "pressure acts" before giving him the full stamp of approval though :rolleyes: )
Very composed young footballer who won't be seeing any more VFL action if he continues at/near the standard of the last two weeks.

Think a few myths are being laid to rest at the moment, that he's to slow to make it at the elite level, that we can't play the two big rucks because it would make us to slow, also that players need to be fast tracked by playing AFL, getting a good grounding at the lower level doesn't seem to have done young George any harm.

Not only that, but we always think if the coach drops players frequently he doesn't rate them (as has happened with Horlin-Smith already a few times). It could be the opposite - they know which players are more mature and level-headed and aren't fussed by going back to keep improving. As you point out it hasn't damaged young George one iota.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had Tomahawk and McIntosh as forward targets, we won't be able to get away with that against Hawthorn, Mitch Brown isn't a superstar but Blicavs is not undropable at this point.
We need another key forward if only to ensure Tomahawk isn't consistently double teamed by Hawthorn defenders.
Agree and that second tall forward is McIntosh and occassinally Simpson. Brown doesn't even provide a contest when the long ball comes in. He can be useful runnning around on the lead at centre half forward but Blicavs is prooving capable of that as well and he can fill in the ruck as well.

I am one who really likes a fast side. However that does not men all players need to have fast leg speed. Just there has to be a good sprinkling of it across the team and the field.

If you can get the ball and use it well - you deserve your position in the team.

Many questioned GHS - but he does have some runs on the board now and may become a very good player for us in time. He needs game time now. Hope he gets it.

True. I could of said McIntosh plays Browns role far better. We are rotating Blicavs, McIntosh and Simpson through the role that was destined for Brown because they do it much much better. We actually had a second tall option last night to take the pressure off Hawkins. It was fantastic. Brown was only average against Adelaide up to 3 qtr time. Kicked some nice opportunist midfielders goals in the last quarter, but thas not what he is needed for. It was only fancy icing, the cake was fairly stale and grew mouldy over the two following weeks.

Agree and that second tall forward is McIntosh and occassinally Simpson. Brown doesn't even provide a contest when the long ball comes in. He can be useful runnning around on the lead at centre half forward but Blicavs is prooving capable of that as well and he can fill in the ruck as well.

Just on this.
I may be going out on a limb here but I now want Blicavs to play CHF.
His marking is actually pretty good considering where it came from and with his running he should be able to tire his opponent and also keep him away from Hawkins.
He can't provide pack marking but neither can anyone on the list currently fit.
That could also allow us to play Brown or Walker as a third tall (and then Kersten when fit and ready).

Just on this.
I may be going out on a limb here but I now want Blicavs to play CHF.
His marking is actually pretty good considering where it came from and with his running he should be able to tire his opponent and also keep him away from Hawkins.
He can't provide pack marking but neither can anyone on the list currently fit.
That could also allow us to play Brown or Walker as a third tall (and then Kersten when fit and ready).
Blicavs needs to play CHF in the VFL first though.
Brown had a serviceable game, a game in conditions that didn't suit, then a shocker against Collingwood. He's still a much better bet than anyone else fit on our list.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I think they'll also be rotated back to the seconds for a less-intense run. The young blokes will be cooked by August if they play every game.

Very good young player. Has really got the smarts and the inside game worked out. Would hope he improves the outside part of it a bit more, in that a few times he was streaming alone towards our 50 with the ball but either chose the wrong option or didn't execute very well at all. Am sure with experience this will improve.
On a side note, the back slapping and I-told-you-so'a in this thread are breathtakingly nauseating.

This thread is as much a back-patting exercise for those GHS apologists who now feel vindicated as much as it is a congratulatory or celebratory thread about his form. So for that, I'm proud to say that I can participate equally in both since I too had the fortitude as much as the foresight to express my views as I saw them as to why I thought the young man would make it as an AFL player.

As much as I hate to say it, Blicavs value is in the VFL right now. He isn't playing as a ruck and 12 touches just isn't enough to lock down a spot.

If the club sees something in him, then I'm happy with 75 point wins and development rather than 91 point wins and Blitz playing VFL.

Same goes with Guthrie, GHS, Burbury etc.

If the club sees something in him, then I'm happy with 75 point wins and development rather than 91 point wins and Blitz playing VFL.

Same goes with Guthrie, GHS, Burbury etc.

The question is more 12 point wins with development vs 12 point loses without development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back