Universal Love Horlin-Smith - '20 and 3'

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure seems that way.
s**t am i the only one who thinks he is horrible with the footy? Loved his courage and the mark was amazing, had me on my feet. i genuinely am not looking for opportunities to hate on the kid. I would love nothing more than for him to be Paul Couch mark ii, but to me his disposal is poor and his decision making is poor. Missed important shots on goal, put teammates under the pump... Im just not seeing it...

I mentioned after the West Coast game that he has to improve his decision making and disposal which should come the more he plays. So you are not alone. :)

I mentioned after the West Coast game that he has to improve his decision making and disposal which should come the more he plays. So you are not alone. :)
There's barely a 21 year old in the game that isn't in the same boat. He isn't horrible though (as I think CMIA is suggesting) and he is calm and composed and has sound technique so there's no reason not to be hopeful.

Fair enough to those who want to suggest he needs to improve. Nobody would dispute that.

But he had more than a few mates out there on Monday who missed (what could have been) important shots on goal (Tomahawk included) and put their teammates under pressure with less than stellar disposal.

His far more experienced midfield partners also found it immensely difficult to locate another Cat in the congestion throughout the day. Anyone want to label them 'horrible with the footy'?

Fair enough to those who want to suggest he needs to improve. Nobody would dispute that.

But he had more than a few mates out there on Monday who missed (what could have been) important shots on goal (Tomahawk included) and put their teammates under pressure with less than stellar disposal.

His far more experienced midfield partners also found it immensely difficult to locate another Cat in the congestion throughout the day. Anyone want to label them 'horrible with the footy'?

Horrible is harsh by whoever said it (cant be bothered looking) but it's definitely something which has stood out in his games this year as a weakness and something which I am sure he and the coaches are working on.

His disposal efficiency this season is 66.7%. Needs to be better.

At the same time, it's better than Caddy, Johnson, Murdoch and Bartel. Needs to really push into that 70%+ bracket.

Yes, "horrible with the footy" is too strong by far.
On what I've seen, as I've said before, he is a very good kick for goal, and he is also a good kick generally when he's used his undoubted footy smarts to give himself a bit of space and time.
Like all players, he has more trouble disposing efficiently when he's in congestion; but he suffers from this problem more than most, because of his slowness both by foot and body movement generally. That's when you get the hospital handpasses and the like - as Catsmaninamerica, puts it, putting team-mates under the pump.
He'll get better at it as he learns to use his play-reading ability to give himself a bit more space.
If he continues to play as an inside mid, I doubt whether his DE% will rise much above 70%, it generally doesn't for these players.
I think his DE% also benefits by comparison with others because it's rated on efficiency per disposal. If it was rated on efficiency per possession, he would drop down the table, because he fails to get rid of it more than the others - another result of his slowness of all-round movement.

His disposal efficiency this season is 66.7%. Needs to be better.
While it needs to get better and we can expect it will, it's not unusual for an inside mid to hover in the high 60s. Jobe Watson's was 69% in his Brownlow year and was 68 and 65 either side of it. Michael Barlow has been between 62 and 67% for the past four years. Josh Kennedy between 62 and 69% his whole career. In some ways, it's just the nature of the role they play.

While it needs to get better and we can expect it will, it's not unusual for an inside mid to hover in the high 60s. Jobe Watson's was 69% in his Brownlow year and was 68 and 65 either side of it. Michael Barlow has been between 62 and 67% for the past four years. Josh Kennedy between 62 and 69% his whole career. In some ways, it's just the nature of the role they play.

Didn't I just say that? :eek:

I agree with both of the above re inside mid stats, etc. GHS plays a very similar role to Joel Corey and will rack up similar DE% stats- can't recall JC ever been much higher than mid 60s. That's not to say he can't improve his kicking and HP-ing around the ground when he's not under a pack of players ;) Hopefully he can but, as noted above as well, he is still young and hasn't got a lot of AFL games under his belt yet. Give him time.

Don't compare his stats to the stats of a player in defence who is giving and receiving kicks backward in the play and racking up several 100% stats there because he's unopposed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is that CE? Rushed disposal? Are GHS errors thru being rushed? I dont know , just asking ... its seem to me that he was off V the Hawks, not sure if he was amped up and that was the cause. The only thing id comment on ..its seem it take him a bit longer to balance up than someone like Mitchell , who seem to be able balance himself very quickly. Take the kick at goal in the last(?) he took a nice intercept mark played on and totally missed the goals.

Why is that CE? Rushed disposal? Are GHS errors thru being rushed? I dont know , just asking ... its seem to me that he was off V the Hawks, not sure if he was amped up and that was the cause. The only thing id comment on ..its seem it take him a bit longer to balance up than someone like Mitchell , who seem to be able balance himself very quickly. Take the kick at goal in the last(?) he took a nice intercept mark played on and totally missed the goals.
Most possessions are under pressure and quick release.

He looks like he's going in slow motion sometimes does GHS. But I'd go as far as to say his footskills and handball when he's in the clear are very good. It's just that he's not very often in the clear!

Mark was gold.
Courage in the 33 gurnsey is not an unfamiliar sight for us.

That moment reminded me of Menzel v Collingwood when he took on and beat Swan. This seemed to bolster Menzel and he kept going from strength to strength.

GHS launched and took that mark when out of position, v Hodge and Hodge had no answer.

This should do wonders for George's confidence going forward.

I don't have many complaints about his disposal when actually uses the ball, he just takes a little to long to actually get rid of it. Another thing to note is that he is playing quite low game time(it's probably brought on by the interchange cap rather than a lack of fitness,he spent more time on the ground last year we he wasn't the sub). He's a ball magnet.

R2 69% -22 Disposals
R3 74% -23 Disposals
R4 68% -15 Disposals

In contrast to Guthrie(this is not critical of Guthrie, I am aware of his defensive efforts, just merely a point of comparison)

R1 83%-13 Disposals
R2 87%-11 Disposals
R3 86%-18 Disposals
R4 80%-24 Disposals
R5 87%-14 Disposals

I don't have many complaints about his disposal when actually uses the ball, he just takes a little to long to actually get rid of it. Another thing to note is that he is playing quite low game time(it's probably brought on by the interchange cap rather than a lack of fitness,he spent more time on the ground last year we he wasn't the sub). He's a ball magnet.

It's even better than that. If you don't mind my adjustments...

R2 23% - 9 Disposals (and 2 goals)
R3 R2 69% -22 Disposals
R4 R3 74% -23 Disposals
R5 R4 68% -15 Disposals

The way he takes so long to KTFT, reminds me of Lingy, who was a master at drawing his opponent closer and closer but then releasing his kick at the VERY LAST MINUTE- just when you've bitten your nails down to the quick! He was pretty accurate with the kicks and just never seemed to rush them.

I can see GHS getting like that once his judgement on when to release gets better. Hope he doesn't make me pull too much hair out along that journey of his :(

Yes, "horrible with the footy" is too strong by far.
On what I've seen, as I've said before, he is a very good kick for goal, and he is also a good kick generally when he's used his undoubted footy smarts to give himself a bit of space and time.
Like all players, he has more trouble disposing efficiently when he's in congestion; but he suffers from this problem more than most, because of his slowness both by foot and body movement generally. That's when you get the hospital handpasses and the like - as Catsmaninamerica, puts it, putting team-mates under the pump.
He'll get better at it as he learns to use his play-reading ability to give himself a bit more space.
If he continues to play as an inside mid, I doubt whether his DE% will rise much above 70%, it generally doesn't for these players.
I think his DE% also benefits by comparison with others because it's rated on efficiency per disposal. If it was rated on efficiency per possession, he would drop down the table, because he fails to get rid of it more than the others - another result of his slowness of all-round movement.

No not horrible with the footy ,he is good when he has time but id say he need to be able steady quicker. One asset of the really good inside players is their 3 to 5 step balance. Chappy won a Norm from it. Mitchell like him or not is excellent at it, can pivot and steady like a pole is stuck up from the ground up thru his bum, especially on to the left. We have to persist and let him work on his areas that need work , im sure he will. He looks to be the type that will get better and better , be one hell of a player 26+

s**t am i the only one who thinks he is horrible with the footy? Loved his courage and the mark was amazing, had me on my feet. i genuinely am not looking for opportunities to hate on the kid. I would love nothing more than for him to be Paul Couch mark ii, but to me his disposal is poor and his decision making is poor. Missed important shots on goal, put teammates under the pump... Im just not seeing it...

Joel Corey wasn't the greatest kick throughout his career, Enright wasn't too good early on. GHS will at worst be a solid player for us.

Joel Corey wasn't the greatest kick throughout his career, Enright wasn't too good early on. GHS will at worst be a solid player for us.
Maybe. Just re watched last week. His disposal and at times his decision making is rushed at best and horrible at worst. And yes you're right - Corey and Enright improved over time. Fingers crossed.

Maybe. Just re watched last week. His disposal and at times his decision making is rushed at best and horrible at worst. And yes you're right - Corey and Enright improved over time. Fingers crossed.
His game against Hawthorn wasn't his best, but he looked at stages more composed than our senior players who kicked it into the man on the mark.

Just as a matter of interest, what's your opinion of Caddy?
I think Caddy is a very good player. I think he'll be a 200 game player, and will only get better. He needs to realise his limitations, and yes his disposal also need to at times improve but i think he's infinitely better an inside mid (at this stage) the GHS. If thats what youre getting at. now i know some will quote stats to say GHS is as good or near Caddy, but stats dont tell the whole story. You need to look at what they do and when they do it. Caddy to me seizes moments in games. GHS is yet to do that, and to be honest was a liability in patches agains the hawks, in his turnovers and his shots on goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back