News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

So one code is focused on running a truly national league, while the upper echelon management of the truly notional league is wholly fixated upon squeezing a six figure sum out of a rural city that it has been completely and utterly ignoring for yonks.

Spot the difference.

So one code is focused on running a truly national league, while the upper echelon management of the truly notional league is wholly fixated upon squeezing a six figure sum out of a rural city that it has been completely and utterly ignoring for yonks.

Spot the difference.

your a smart man ooz, did not one of mortimers play a few games in the neafl last year for the giants. no complain ts then.

Spot the difference.

The Raiders had a trial there this year, hardly ignoring Wagga for years. And they let the local league keep the gate and refreshment sales. Serious question, do you work for GWS or the AFL in some capacity?

Serious question, do you work for GWS or the AFL in some capacity?

Serious answer: only as a volunteer. I joined the GWS cheer squad after Round 4, but get paid nothing by either club or code.

I just happen to believe in both, and if you have a look at my posts over the years (about 1000 of which were while I was a long distance lover of Geelong), you should easily see that the passion is pretty much a constant.

I would also point out that my particular journey and experiences with GWS is far from unique, and that every one of the twenty plus members of the cheer squad (and quite a few club members not involved in our crepe artistry) have very similar stories to tell.

THEY parachuted David Gallop into Wagga Wagga yesterday, ready for combat in another fight on another battlefront with the AFL.

But has rugby league pulled the big guns too late? Again?
Gallop, along with Canberra chief executive Don Furner and CRL boss Terry Quinn, rolled into town asking for a please explain from Wagga City Council, which has agreed to pay Greater Western Sydney $300,000 to host pre-season matches and promotions in the city for the next three years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-battle-with-afl/story-e6frfgbo-1226375581954

I'm trying to imagine this situation happening with the roles reversed and I just cannot do it. I can't imagine Demetriou rushing to say Mildura because rugby league is trying to create a presence there. Makes Gallup look small and insignificant.

Serious answer: only as a volunteer. I joined the GWS cheer squad after Round 4, but get paid nothing by either club or code.

I just happen to believe in both, and if you have a look at my posts over the years (about 1000 of which were while I was a long distance lover of Geelong), you should easily see that the passion is pretty much a constant.

I would also point out that my particular journey and experiences with GWS is far from unique, and that every one of the twenty plus members of the cheer squad (and quite a few club members not involved in our crepe artistry) have very similar stories to tell.

Fair enough Oozeboss, you're posts do come across as though you're some sort of cheer leader;).

Mate, that's because I tend to be a glass half full sorta bloke rather than a glass half empty one. I'm the one who goes to a game and doesn't spend all four quarters abusing the umps or opposition players (and especially not my own). I'm the one who yells encouragement to the good guys & even applauds any very special plays by the other mob.

Where I do have concerns with anything my club is doing, I prefer to raise my concerns directly but privately. I come to these forums to revel in all that is great about club and code, and to make my small contribution to the firing up of our collective passion.

There's a hell of a lot to like about the AFL and the Giants right now. :thumbsu:

How's this for Giants in the media...

Sheedy joins Fox Sports News
Greater Western Sydney GIANTS Head Coach Kevin Sheedy has joined the FOX SPORTS News team.

The four time AFL premiership coach will become a regular on FOX SPORTS News each Thursday night between 7-8pm starting tonight, June 21.

Sheedy said he was looking forward to discussing AFL each week and helping to promote the game across Australia.

“FOX SPORTS provides unrivalled coverage of AFL and is a particularly important service in the game’s developing markets in New South Wales and Queensland,” Sheedy said.

“I’m looking forward to discussing not just the GIANTS but also the game each week and hearing the views of fans from wherever they are watching across Australia.”

Don't know if this is the section to post this, but props to the web developer or designer of the GWS site because previously when i wanted to check out the profiles of the kids they only showed pictures and nothing else on the main team page, now there is. Excellent. Would be great if they added their stats for the year.

Some disappointing and surprising predictions in today's Age. In the case of Greg Baum he cannot have actually watched any Giant's pre season games at all. The Giant's level of competitiveness and structure is not comparable to last year in my opinion. If we could get people to games in the last two years then I would expect a lot more to come and more to be members this year. I think the reality check is just as likely to be other club's realising how good Gold Coast and GWS are going to be in the next few years.

With Caroline Wilson's prediction, I don't actually disagree that the Giants will have struggles assuming the kpi's are membership, attendance, competitiveness and revenue. But once again to say the AFL can't spin the Giants progress is to say that these things are going nowhere or backwards. What I see in the Giants is the following:

An extremely talented list with a lot of depth in various positions/roles
An excellent head coach in Leon Cameron who looks perfectly suited to leading a young group
Young players who aren't just talented but driven
Adversity experienced by a young bonding team will be extremely powerful in the future. They will be able to draw upon this going forward to make them stronger.
Experienced players recruited have added some back bone and confidence.

The struggle will be drawing people to games due to the highly competitive region and the foreign nature of AFL. That said, like how people don't get how big China is, people in Melbourne don't get how big GWS is. There would still be a lot of people with AFL interest in GWS and Canberra who haven't been to a game purely because the team hasn't been competitive. We need to get these people to a game as they will be a far easier catch than people who have never followed AFL.

Yes there will be stories this year of players wanting to go home or go to higher profile club. This will happen but based on how we handled this last year these things can be further opportunity to balance our list -e.g. Tyson trade for Kelly upgrade, Adams for Shaw - we aren't lamenting our lack of inside mids, we had too many. At end end of they day I don't see these impacting on our competitiveness going forward if we continue to recruit astutely.

I predict that our membership and attendance will rise this year, competitiveness will improve dramatically (and that can happen and we could still finish last but our % will increase), and revenue will increase. Looking forward to see if I pick this better than the Age experts.

#standtall

Moments in time: The Age 2014 time capsule

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...ime-capsule-20140308-34e5l.html#ixzz2vPAfbQLa

Greg Baum
The year's reality check ...
GWS makes no crowds or membership progress.

Caroline Wison
The issue the AFL can't spin is?
Greater Western Sydney's struggles.

The thing that the age cannot spin is that as soon as i see Caroline Wilson in the by line I stop reading, and this has been the case for a very long time....certatinly longer than the concept of the Giants have been around. We are an easy target for those journos that dont have the talent to write positive original stories but ride on the coattails of others and the pull comments out of their butts that upset a section of the fanbase or fuels the media inflamed prejudices of others ie common tabloid gutter jounalism by C Wilson
Damien Barrett for the AFL rates the same contempt

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that the age cannot spin is that as soon as i see Caroline Wilson in the by line I stop reading, and this has been the case for a very long time....certatinly longer than the concept of the Giants have been around. We are an easy target for those journos that dont have the talent to write positive original stories but ride on the coattails of others and the pull comments out of their butts that upset a section of the fanbase or fuels the media inflamed prejudices of others ie common tabloid gutter jounalism by C Wilson
Damien Barrett for the AFL rates the same contempt

I dont mind Caro - she writes what she thinks.

Me, I think the struggles are over-rated, with the team developing to expectations and the off field strength being shown by the recent Spotless deal. Yeah, crowds can be better, but they are about the same as every other Sydney team that does a lot of losing. Sydney's a bandwagon town, and thats all ther is to it.

Michael Gleeson proves himself to be a bit of a tool with his point that can't be spun

"People don't want to watch the expansion clubs"

What am I? I'm people. Epic fail from the start.

And I have no idea what the hell Andrew Tate is rabbiting on about when his This year's reality check is

"GWS v Carlton is not Australia v Spain"

We're just receiving negative comments from scribes who don't understand how much players develop in there 3rd year nor what a difference a few experienced guys in key areas can make. But not surprised caro has taken that line as she just doesn't understand on field footy, she is all about off field stuff.

And I have no idea what the hell Andrew Tate is rabbiting on about when his This year's reality check is

"GWS v Carlton is not Australia v Spain"

pretty sure his a soccer guy so that tells you all you need to know there

This s**t tabloid rubbish will continue until extensions are signed, not a grain of proof and a quote, most likely out of context from the coach that could have been made anytime in he last 12 months about any player...most probably Patton when the dogs were sniffing butts.

Do the Suns have much of this crap spurted against them as well or is it just us? Both expansion teams have a somewhat large collection of young talented players.

Do they not realise that maybe the AFL wanted a team here for a reason? Try and crack into one of the hardest sporting areas in Australia. Western Sydney can be very passionate supporters of their local teams (see Wanderers) but often it will be hard to grab their attention (see local NRL teams performing poorly in recent years). The longer GWS is treated as some kind of farm where kids are plumped up and shipped off to be replaced by guys two years from retirement just defeats the whole purpose of the team being here.

Do the Suns have much of this crap spurted against them as well or is it just us?

No, just us - but the Gold Coast is a nice place to live (apparently) while Western Sydney is a s#it hole (allegedly) That makes it a "destination club" while ours must be avoided at all costs.

Also WS is a Rugby League stronghold - truely enemy territory, no chance of anyone ever possibly liking the game - whereas the GC is merely a sporting graveyard for professional teams in elite competitions.

The key thing is, where is the bulldust coming from? Read the article carefully, and you will see that the implication is the Melbourne clubs are his source. The reality is that 99.99% of the time it is from those bottom feeders, the player manager/agents. They go out and stoke the fire, get a bidding war going and go back to their young client with the offers hoping they'll go for it. This is where the big bucks are for them. Pickers has set the bar pretty low in the last few years, but made a killing along the way. Feed the clubs and media the right line and convince the blue chip asset to move. "Show Me the Money!" Giants can only control the culture, the on ground success and what it can offer in coin. We'll see if that is enough.

When we were up at the Fan Open Day, the COO took us through the history of the place. Clubs were sniffing around some of our boys before they'd even played one AFL game. If they'd wanted to leave they wouldn't have already signed a contract extension.

We have built these boys into men. I have faith in both the guys and the club to do whatever it takes to stay together.

Adam Treloar stood in a wheelie bin ice bath at Gipps Road and is practicing at Tom Wills Oval while still on holidays. He's a future Captain of this Club, not some Collingwood flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back