News Giants Special Announcement

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
This is fantastic news. Kelly from all reports is just an absolute class act, only bad luck with injuries can stop him from being a great player. McCarthy is a real surprise...I think most of us wondered what would happen there but probably more than any other re-signing he is an example that we have a wonderful culture and he wants to buy in. The rumours about James Stewart and Collingwood just wouldn't go away so thank God this can put that to bed.

Clearly the better results and massive improvement in facilities is having a positive effect although it must be said our record in keeping the kids we want has been first rate.

The next big challenge is to re-sign Jezza long term and get young Tom Boyd to do the same. Once he gets time time in the middle I'm confident he will do exactly that.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I thought the coverage of the announcement in the Daily Terror this morning was a bit puzzling. Yes they actually covered it, which was nice. Good photo of the boys etc. But the headline "Giants commit to young guns" and the line that we saw enough of Josh Kelly in a quarter of footy to resign him for two years, I thought was a bit backward.

Surely the headline should have been "Young guns commit to the Giants" and taken the tone of 'the boys saw enough of the Giants to want to stay and be a part of the team going forward' not the other way around.

Oh well. I suppose I should be grateful it was there at all.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I thought the coverage of the announcement in the Daily Terror this morning was a bit puzzling. Yes they actually covered it, which was nice. Good photo of the boys etc. But the headline "Giants commit to young guns" and the line that we saw enough of Josh Kelly in a quarter of footy to resign him for two years, I thought was a bit backward.

Surely the headline should have been "Young guns commit to the Giants" and taken the tone of 'the boys saw enough of the Giants to want to stay and be a part of the team going forward' not the other way around.

Oh well. I suppose I should be grateful it was there at all.
Itll take a while for the league ltd oops I mean news ltd to accept us. Took the swans 20 years.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
On SEN today Michael Voss spoke glowingly about Josh Kelly and described him as a future Brownlow Medalist!!

Geez they don't waste any time down here rapping the boys!!

Luckily young Josh has a good measured head on his shoulders and I'm sure will absorb pressure of expectation.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
This is fantastic news. Kelly from all reports is just an absolute class act, only bad luck with injuries can stop him from being a great player. McCarthy is a real surprise...I think most of us wondered what would happen there but probably more than any other re-signing he is an example that we have a wonderful culture and he wants to buy in. The rumours about James Stewart and Collingwood just wouldn't go away so thank God this can put that to bed.

Clearly the better results and massive improvement in facilities is having a positive effect although it must be said our record in keeping the kids we want has been first rate.

The next big challenge is to re-sign Jezza long term and get young Tom Boyd to do the same. Once he gets time time in the middle I'm confident he will do exactly that.

I've never heard a credible rumour about us and stewart, in fact all sources indicate we aren't interested. We will be picking up highly rated Darcy Moore as a F/S this draft year who is very similar to Stewart so you don't have to worry about us targeting him.

How has he been going anyway? Can't remember him playing many games but obviously a contract extension shows he is doing something right

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
He's a project player. He came to us very skinny and after having a back injury. He's been playing well in the NEAFL which is positive but has a task to get into the first team with our abundance of talent in the tall forwards.

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
I've never heard a credible rumour about us and stewart, in fact all sources indicate we aren't interested. We will be picking up highly rated Darcy Moore as a F/S this draft year who is very similar to Stewart so you don't have to worry about us targeting him.

How has he been going anyway? Can't remember him playing many games but obviously a contract extension shows he is doing something right

Stewart was good in the twos against Sydney.

I can see him as the Heater replacement in a couple of years.

Back