Gibbs tackle on Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Perfectly legal tackle.
Needs to be compulsory for players to wear helmets. Then we can get rid of all these little head high confusing rules.

Ugly but legal. Could see him getting a week off because of "potential for injury" given how the tribunal goes, but really doesn't deserve a suspension.

Honestly bit unaware of the rules in this regard and without doing research, I'm not going to stake a claim. I just hope that its judged on the actual action rather than the impact on Robbie Gray.

Arms pinned, gone for all money if there's any consistency from the MRP. So he might get off...

Probably won the game for Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has made it quite clear they want to reduce the number of head injuries, and that is a good thing, given the high number of people facing post career depression. This tackle was reckless and completely unnecessary. It was a forceful act, agree or disagree, it was clearly a dog act, and not the only attempt in the game. We need this out of the game.

It's always hard to arrest momentum when you bear hug and then get caught behind the player because that is where the slinging action comes from as you fall backwards. Having sad that the players know that the AFL looks down on that sort of thing and Gibbs made no effort to mitigate the damage. Could be a week.

It's always hard to arrest momentum when you bear hug and then get caught behind the player because that is where the slinging action comes from as you fall backwards. Having sad that the players know that the AFL looks down on that sort of thing and Gibbs made no effort to mitigate the damage. Could be a week.
If you look too, Gibbs was onto Gray before he took the ball, maybe I'm biased, but looked premeditated, given the other several sling attempts.

The AFL has made it quite clear they want to reduce the number of head injuries, and that is a good thing, given the high number of people facing post career depression. This tackle was reckless and completely unnecessary. It was a forceful act, agree or disagree, it was clearly a dog act, and not the only attempt in the game. We need this out of the game.

Thanks for your opinion, Robbie. Hope your head is feeling OK.

If you look too, Gibbs was onto Gray before he took the ball, maybe I'm biased, but looked premeditated, given the other several sling attempts.

Interesting you bring this up, it's been something I've been on about for awhile now. I wouldn't blame Gibbs for it because it goes on all the time. Players are tackling in anticipation now, meaning players are tackling before their opponent even has the ball. It's something I'd like to see looked at.

Video linked above from AFL website:
Pause at 16 second mark. You can clearly see the number 4 on Gibbs' back as both players have spun around 180 with Grays arms pinned.
Pause at 17 seconds. Players have spun another 90 degrees to face left of screen. Gibbs is in the squat position. He's pulling down hard to drag Gray backwards, but at the same time the pair have rotated 270 degrees.
Pause just a little later: Gray's feet are now both off the ground. Gibbs has lifted him up and is driving down and around with the rotational force.
Pause at 18 seconds: Gray's had has gone whack in to the ground.

Pause at 20 seconds: You can see Gibbs lifting and throwing Gray in to the ground.

A sling tackle isn't a terrible crime. But it's not innocent either. And it's dangerous. Gibbs has to go for 1 week and then the league has to start reviewing more tackles that don't result in injury not just the ones that do. Aussie Rules as a 360 degree tackling sport in pretty unique in the situations that arise. Concussions are a big threat to the game. We have to take these tackles seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back