Gillard's AWU/Wilson past about to haunt her?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering what the difference is between what Gillard has been accused of and say an accountant that does his best (within the rules) to minimise tax or creates tax havens for his clients?
Or lawyers that work their darndest to get a guilty client off, or setting up a corporation that minimises liability for directors?
Or directors continuing a business knowing full well that it is likely to go bankrupt?
I am sure that there are more examples.
I think we can call this RC for what it is - a witch hunt, nothing and nothing less.

All bar the last are legitimate activities that a properly engaged, properly qualified advisor is able to do - although I'd add that in the tax area the newish scheme promoter rules make that work highly risky.

That said, if I was partner at, say, KPMG and I provided advice to a key client without recording it in the files of the firm, hid it, did it off the books and then the tax scheme was investigated for fraud, I'd rightly be facing the sack and professional sanctions and possibly worse.

It would be a black mark against my professional ethics and by extension my character for the foreseeable future.

People do form a view of Abbotts character and his views on a myriad of topics like women & Catholicism based on his past acts. It may well impact on whether one thinks he's a poor judge of people.

If on the other hand a Catholic kids organisation had been set up for a slightly dodgy stated purpose and then used for a far dodgier illegal purpose and Abbott had assisted in setting that up and had actively got it past the concerns of regulators to facilitate said set up there might be an issue.

If Abbott had then not followed normal procedure, had done the work off the books, had concealed documentation for his employer while all the while bonking one of the priests running the organisation it'd be a real issue.

More so if he was seeking to be or was currently PM.

After he left public life, its simply a matter to be examined for criminality. His character when not in public life is largely not an issue.
Yes, but he hasn't had to answer to a RC.

All bar the last are legitimate activities that a properly engaged, properly qualified advisor is able to do - although I'd add that in the tax area the newish scheme promoter rules make that work highly risky.

That said, if I was partner at, say, KPMG and I provided advice to a key client without recording it in the files of the firm, hid it, did it off the books and then the tax scheme was investigated for fraud, I'd rightly be facing the sack and professional sanctions and possibly worse.

It would be a black mark against my professional ethics and by extension my character for the foreseeable future.
Forget about the hidden, non-event. Daresay that this is pretty normal if working for free, family, friends or in anticipation of returns in other areas. As long as a file exists with written notes and or copies of correspondence, doesn't really need to be in a centralised place.
I have a friend that is an accountant - does my tax for free, no file kept at office.
Solicitor that prepared my will, purchase of my house. Doubt that an official file was opened as was only charged for out of pocket costs.

Forget about the hidden, non-event. Daresay that this is pretty normal if working for free, family, friends or in anticipation of returns in other areas. As long as a file exists with written notes and or copies of correspondence, doesn't really need to be in a centralised place.
I have a friend that is an accountant - does my tax for free, no file kept at office.
Solicitor that prepared my will, purchase of my house. Doubt that an official file was opened as was only charged for out of pocket costs.

I was a partner at one of the largest professional services firms in the world.

If I helped mum with her tax, sure I wouldn't have a file but I wouldn't be doing that in my capacity as partner.

If a representative of substantial client I was assigned to asked me to set up an entity in roughly the same name as the client and I was doing that through the firm, representing the firm and calling government agencies on it's behalf as representative of the firm, there would be procedures followed...

Not because I'm a legend but because it's the minimum required ...

I'd avoid shagging the client too and if somehow I was I'd be even more thorough with the paperwork due to perception issues ...

She ****ed up. But likely only goes to character - which as she's no longer a public figure isn't a big deal IMO ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a partner at one of the largest professional services firms in the world.

If I helped mum with her tax, sure I wouldn't have a file but I wouldn't be doing that in my capacity as partner.

If a representative of substantial client I was assigned to asked me to set up an entity in roughly the same name as the client and I was doing that through the firm, representing the firm and calling government agencies on it's behalf as representative of the firm, there would be procedures followed...

Not because I'm a legend but because it's the minimum required ...

I'd avoid shagging the client too and if somehow I was I'd be even more thorough with the paperwork due to perception issues ...

She ****** up. But likely only goes to character - which as she's no longer a public figure isn't a big deal IMO ...

So we are back to talking about character and judgement again are we? Well Abbott, certainly displayed a lack of judgement but it hasn't followed by a RC.

Yawn ....

Yawn -precisely. How some people have felt for quite sometime about this event.
If she has character flaws why is this occurring? As you have acknowledged, flaws are not uncommon and if every pollie who has shown them, or poor judgment, or poor taste, was investigated 20 years later-what a marvellous waste of time and money.

Yep chortle-had me positively rolling in the aisles.
Now can you find a cartoon where Tone is hanging out at the beach with his mate Kathy J and singing her praises to the tune of 'brave, decent woman' please. Maybe backing soundtrack - 'Tainted love"? 'Hole in my bucket?' Lipstick on my collar?;)

Yep chortle-had me positively rolling in the aisles.
Now can you find a cartoon where Tone is hanging out at the beach with his mate Kathy J and singing her praises to the tune of 'brave, decent woman' please. Maybe backing soundtrack - 'Tainted love"? 'Hole in my bucket?' Lipstick on my collar?;)

Relevance to thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocking

Bill shorten used his own money to buy a raffle ticket which didn't win , and brought 2 hot dogs and listen to music by power of the union at the 2012 afl grand final day breakfast held by the cfmeu

NEWS FLASH - Australia's Weakest Union living up to it name as a fund raiser for the ALP - now we are moving in more interesting territory!

The AWU is the despicable apogee of a sausage factory pre-selection machine and a body that subjugates the interests of members to the aspirations of the ALP and its apparats
Oh yeah? Well you have bad breath!!

Also CM, don't you know that it's ok for them to do it, because the other 'team' does it?

Bad mouthing one political affiliation without simultaneously bad mouthing the other side, makes you a hypocrite! And thus makes this discussion about AWU and Labor being shitty pinkos, disingenuous and false.

Moving forward there shall be no more discussion of this matter. Anyone who talks about it is a luvvie and a fanboi!

Also, I am not biased, and have been a member of the liberal party for 30 years.

And Kathy Jackson is a saint!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back