Gillard's AWU/Wilson past about to haunt her?

Remove this Banner Ad

@Power_Raid How about we scrap the mining tax and partially nationalise the sector say a 10% stake in all mining companies Australian operations placed in the hands of a Sovereign Wealth Fund that puts most of the profits into building needed infrastructure with the rest reinvested in blue chip Australian stocks to a maximum investment of 10% in any one company.

I'd object to it being done retrospectively, but if all future projects were approved with a clause like this I wouldn't have a huge issue. (might cause some issues with international treaties though).

That said, I wouldn't mind if a similar thing was done to all multinationals setting up here as a means of dealing with the (lack of) taxes paid by companies like Apple and Google. (although in that case, I'm pretty sure treaties would be broken by doing so).

The Gonski is designed to make the system better for all students. It means funding would be allocated based on the needs of the students; to be topped up with additional funding to take into account types disadvantage different students experience, such as Indigeniety, remoteness, second language learners, refugee children and disability. In this way the funding would work for the majority of students as opposed to the SES model which advantages the already advantaged. I don't see the issue-its a good idea and easy enough to implement. Not perfect but certainly greater chance of success than the SES model (that has seen, for example, Pisa scores in gov't schools drop since its implementation.)
The mining companies, I noticed for example, in today's paper, 'have been paying a much lower proportion of their operating profits than the rest of the corporate sector, about 5-10% points less. Miners have been ramping up investment spending and writing it off quickly against their incomes for tax purposes.' These are things that can be addressed and would make a diff.

I assume you're talking about the outright deduction for exploration expenditure - are you suggesting this should not be deductible?

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but you'd have to accept that if you were to change the rules, you remove a lot of the incentive for exploration in the first place. Less exploration will result in less mining in the long term, which will result in less tax being paid. It might improve the tax base in the short term, but I doubt it would in the long term. Ends up being counter productive, unless you actually want to reduce mining activity (which of course some people in parliament do).

Back on topic, I believe Ralph Blewitt will soon be returning to melbourne to be questioned and arrested.

If true, the other two criminals Wilson and Gillard won't be far behind him.

that would raise anxiety levels

sorry to clarify "worst australian prime minister" in the spin opinion of conservative nut jobs.

both labor and the nation are still enjoying the fruits of Gillard's altogether too short period in office.

EFA. After all, the Gillard legacy includes guiding Australia through the GFC without a recession or a significant rise in unemployment, low interest rates, in range inflation, AAA credit ratings, good relations with all other nations, NDIS, playing a leading international role by putting a price on carbon, etc etc. All with a minority government in the HoR and a minority in the Senate.

But, as Lester rightly reminds us, quoting me, lets stick to the thread, which concerns the historically interesting question of whether Wilson will ever be charged with corruption and, if he does, whether there is the remotest chance that there will be any evidence that his girlfriend at the time, a senior lawyer at the time who subsequently became Australia's first, and arguably most competent PM, had any knowledge of Wilson's alleged misdeeds and, if there is any evidence of knowledge by Gillard there is sufficient evidence to raise a suggestion that there is sufficient evidence to prove that knowledge and, if there is, whether is any evidence that Gillard was criminally involved in any way and, if there is, whether there is sufficient evidence to charge Gillard with any offence. On such contingencies happily marches this merry thread.

Interesting to see DR is still alive and still waiting for Gillard's past to haunt her. My guess is that DR and I will both be mere ghosts long before any credible evidence is gathered that will form the basis of a charge. Indeed, the spectre of DR's posts these days rather suggests he is now in the haunting business already. Well, one could only hope.

Interesting to see DR is still alive and still waiting for Gillard's past to haunt her. My guess is that DR and I will both be mere ghosts long before any credible evidence is gathered that will form the basis of a charge. Indeed, the spectre of DR's posts these days rather suggests he is now in the haunting business already. Well, one could only hope.

Greetings from the other side. It's rather hot down here.

But, as Lester rightly reminds us, quoting me, lets stick to the thread, which concerns the historically interesting question of whether Wilson will ever be charged with corruption and, if he does, whether there is the remotest chance that there will be any evidence that his girlfriend at the time, a senior lawyer at the time who subsequently became Australia's first, and arguably most competent PM, had any knowledge of Wilson's alleged misdeeds and, if there is any evidence of knowledge by Gillard there is sufficient evidence to raise a suggestion that there is sufficient evidence to prove that knowledge and, if there is, whether is any evidence that Gillard was criminally involved in any way and, if there is, whether there is sufficient evidence to charge Gillard with any offence. On such contingencies happily marches this merry thread.
You're about to find out.

Has your knight in shining armor been given immunity yet?

Corrupt AWU official Ralph Blewitt first to face Royal Commission into union graft
THE corrupt former AWU official who has confessed to fraudulently using a slush fund that was set up two decades ago based on advice from his friend and lawyer, Julia Gillard, is set to be the first witness in public hearings of the national Royal Commission into union graft and wrongdoing. Ralph Blewitt’s legal associate and adviser, Harry Nowicki, told The Australiantoday that Mr Blewitt has been asked to be in Sydney on Monday morning for at least a day of testimony at retired High Court justice Dyson Heydon’s Royal Commission....

Victoria Police, detectives who have been running an 18-month investigation with Mr Blewitt’s co-operation, intend to charge him with fraud-related offences, to which he will plead guilty. He is expected to give evidence against others. is understood that in return for his co-operation and guilty plea, police will make courtroom submissions that Mr Blewitt should not be sentenced to jail.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...nto-union-graft/story-fn59niix-1226908862189#

Greetings from the other side. It's rather hot down here.

You're about to find out.

Do remember to tell me when I can start breathing again. I stopped breathing in anticipation of something "about" to haunt Julia some little time ago when you started this thread and it sure would be nice to have a little air soonish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must admit that it is a disgrace that this has not been resolved by now. I'm sure if it was you or I it would not have dragged on so long.

Well i guess there has to be a reason seeing as it was over 20 years & was brought up by a fellow ALP minister of Julia Gillard, has now turned into a purely political witch hunt by Abbott in his thirst for revenge against our first female PM.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out even if it takes another three years.

Just how long is this "about to happen" gonna go on for mate you started this post years ago & still no conclusion.

If the Vic fraudies charge Blewitt this time, then it might be sooner than you think. Dunno how their investigation fits with the Royal Commission.

BTW mate, congrats on the Crows win vs Dogs. Good game to watch except for the end.

This has backfired badly on news ltd and Abbott

Blewitt has conceded how is he supposed to remember anything from 20 years ago

Well i guess there has to be a reason seeing as it was over 20 years & was brought up by a fellow ALP minister of Julia Gillard, has now turned into a purely political witch hunt by Abbott in his thirst for revenge against our first female PM.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out even if it takes another three years.
Why does it matter if she is female? If the prime minister was involved in setting up a union slush fund that billed a company (which then passed these costs on to taxpayers) for work that was never performed, shouldn't it be investigated?

This issue wouldn't have dragged on so much if the Labor party stopped protecting their union mates and set-up a proper investigation.

Rudd was so bad he motivated me to join the labor party.

If you were to join, if you haven't already, you should listen to what Labor has to say about his reign.
Why would you join an organisation that you have no equal say on who is selected to represent it or what policies it takes to the electorate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back