Gillon McLachlan's meeting with the Lions and the end of Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if things go **** up between those two events?

Best to hold off IMO. Shouldn't have made the promise in the first place, but I'm not losing sleep over it. Just excited that by the sounds of it we might actually now be able to move forward off-field.
"Greg has opted out for reasons of his own, and we are now talking to other candidates".

I'm not all that upset that we're not told first by the club, as you said, it was a tall order and the whole "you'll be first to know" was a misguided promise.
That's part of the issue though, the constant promises. It's either "you'll be first to know" only to find out matters elsewhere, or the Joh-ism "Don't you worry about that".
I can guarantee you that's not the case, at least not from Steele.
Certainly wouldn't blame Steele. He is but an employee, and whilst doing a great job, would be frequently told how to do it.

The Footy Show have just congratulated Greg Swan on his new appointment as CEO of the Brisbane Lions.

..sorry, but finding out this way is just not good enough imo. Bloody slack and an up yours attitude...again.
Lets not get too precious here. These things often get leaked before the official announcement. Infact almost always.

Im sure we'll hear tomorrow.

One of our main problems with our club has been their lack of communication with its members (of which I am one....are you?)

If I want to have a whinge about it I bloody well will....and do not expect to be warned about getting precious.
Ive been a VIC based member for 7 years.
I have been just as angry at our crapy presidents, lack of communication, dodgy deals etc as anyone..... I just dont think this is one of those times where the clubs let us down. I didnt mean to offend.

Yeah I am not getting carried away with the "why didn't they tell us first". We live in the world of the 24/7 news cycle and the media has the ability to report it when it is 90 percent done because no one holds them to account if they're wrong (remember Griffiths was signed and sealed last week?) the club doesn't have that benefit of the doubt, This isn't one of those conspicuous silence things like Springfield.

Same happened with Trigg and probably the last 5 CEO signings.

Steele is a pro and a good egg. He will let the fans know as soon as it is professionally prudent to do so.

It would be a bigger deal if there were 2 equal even candidates we were choosing between. It has been such a 1 horse race that telling members first is impossible. Even if we didnt believe the 'OTL' Swann was always a bloody good chance. The club had said they would like it done this week, so it isnt hard as a media outlet to claim it is announced tomorrow etc, etc.

The club can still email members and officially let them know when it actually officially happens. Yes he probably has the job now verbally, but I imagine he is on his way up here tomorrow to sign some things and do a presser. Those details can still be given to us first.

Until he is officiallu signed, it is all media guess work. The club can be still the first to officially let us know.

I'd love for there to be laws about the media doing this sort of thing though. I'd love to see some of those lazy, overpaid hacks rot in gaol.

(still bitter about being underpaid)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me, we got the new bike we wanted for our birthday. I'm not going to fixate about the ribbons tied to the handlebars.

Some of the stuff that's come through the Lions email over the past 12 months from Angus and Bob has me looking at any email they send with a regrettably skeptical eye anyway.

A very good day for the club.

What would be good for lions members would be if the club interviewed Greg Swann first after he signed the contract before the general presser.

Can't understand some of the animosity towards the club for not breaking the news about Swann.

With the exception of Buddy Franklin's move to Sydney, can you name me one major announcement from any of the clubs that hasn't been revealed in the media first?

Whether it be coaches, CEOs or even trades, we always hear about it first on social media (or BigFooty forums) well before anything is official.

So long as Damien Barrett has an iPad to look down at, we will always hear the news that other journalists broke (and that we already heard on the way home from work) before it is formally announced.

Then someone will say 'interesting if true' to make sure we all know they can't be sued.

So long as Damien Barrett has an iPad to look down at, we will always hear the news that other journalists broke (and that we already heard on the way home from work) before it is formally announced.

Then someone will say 'interesting if true' to make sure we all know they can't be sued.

Elite first clause in this post.

I was almost totally convinced that Swann was our next CEO. Then I got an email from Bob Sharpless confirming it, now I don't know what to believe.

Will wait for a more credible source.

I was almost totally convinced that Swann was our next CEO. Then I got an email from Bob Sharpless confirming it, now I don't know what to believe.

Will wait for a more credible source.

It would appear "robust" has been swapped for "rigorous" - Bob as a chairman has rigamortis.

Email for those who don't have it.

Hello fellow Brisbane Lions members,

On behalf of the Board, I'm pleased to announce the appointment of Greg Swann as the Club’s new Chief Executive Officer.

Greg’s appointment is the outcome of a rigorous recruitment process and a fantastic result for our football Club.

He will begin his role at the Lions next week.

As has previously been communicated, the Board has always been committed to going through the most thorough process to find the right person for such an important role, and we were unanimous in our decision that Greg was that person.

Greg was one of a number of candidates who interviewed and presented to the board throughout the appointment process.

His wealth of football knowledge and previous success during his stints at both Collingwood and Carlton, including the development of the Blues’ Visy Park precinct, made Greg impossible to overlook.

Greg presented a strong vision for the future of our footy Club and his appointment also has the full support of the AFL.

We are thrilled to welcome Greg and his family to the Club and have every confidence that he is, without a doubt, the right man to lead this Club to success.

Greg previously held the position of CEO at both Carlton and Collingwood and achieved significant revenue and membership increase during his seven year tenure at the Blues.

He also led the development of Carlton’s world-class training and administration facility, secured key major sponsorship deals and oversaw the recruitment of key signings for the Club.

I have no doubt that Greg will be a great asset to our football Club and we look forward to welcoming him to the Gabba.

Now to continue the good news with a win over the Suns tomorrow in QClash8!

Go Lions!

Cheers

Bob Sharpless
Chairman, Brisbane Lions Football Club

So what does Swanny have to start work on?

Training and Admin facilities

Coaching and recruiting setup

Sponsorships

Protecting the academies

What else is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back