Gippsland Cricket Thread Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Gippsland Cricket Thread Part 3

Pumpter, based on the results of one JP, reckon I should have slipped over to the CGCA years ago and used my 'one spells' to wreak havoc amoung their top order batsmen. Might have had at least something to hang my hat on when the curtain fell.
Your selling yourself short Rampage. Not many of us can boast on our cricketing resume that we've opened the bowling in a TDCA Grand Final, even if most of the spell was delivered at a pace slightly quicker than the average off-spinner. If JP can do it, you might have reinvented yourself from One Spell Jones into a J Rizzle type gamebreaker.

They only just fell short yesterday.........by 180 runs.

Rovers had a great opportunity this year but failed to get any decent players ONCE AGAIN.

They continue to fall out with past and current players, continue to burn everyone and try to lay the blame somewhere else. The club is a shell of what it was in the 80's and early 90's.

The fact they they are still falling out with players dosent surprise me, who hasnt the pathetic club had a falling out with. Makes me ashamed to have an award named after my father. if i had anything to do with it i wouldnt let them name it after dad, especially after the way they treated him. Pathetic club run by pathetic people, destined to go no where fast. Love seeing them get flogged and there will be plenty this year.

Its a real shame. I had some great times down there on and off the field. But that era has finished and they only have themselves to blame. Theyve probably got 1 player that'd get a game in A grade at any other club. Really great kid. Will be a star... but it won't be at Rovers.

That is all......

Who the hell is that homeless bum playing for Stratford in the A's??

If there is any conjecture about the difference between the standard of TDCA and CGCA, then this was put to rest last weekend. Jordan "J Rizzle" Pearce, who was a solid B Grader with about 4 A Grade games over 8 years for Imps, crossed to Motown and took 6/17 in A Grade last week. J Rizz is a great bloke, but even he'd admit that not even in his wildest dreams he would ever take 6/17 in an A Grade game. CGCA is mickey mouse.

He took the first 4 wickets against Warragul in GCL recently, he mustn't be too bad. Maybe Moe know how to get the best out of their players.

He's not a bad player, but he shouldn't be getting 6/19 in A Grade in a half decent league. A 4 for is a good effort in GCL, but from what i've seen, very few leagues field anything close to their top 11 players at GCL, and some leagues clearly take GCL less seriously than others. I'm not slagging the bloke off personally, as i'm quite good friends with him, and have faced him hundreds of times in the nets, and played alongside him on numerous occassions. I'd be shocked if the great man himself wouldn't concede that he isn't an A Grade bowler, let alone a GCL bowler.

If you want more evidence about the standard of CGCA, then Mossy taking 7/19 for Morwell A Grade is pretty compelling. He was frighteningly quick in his day, but he must be over 40 now.

If Moe possesses someone on their coaching panel that can turn B Graders into A Grade superstars, then they need to share them with the ACB, so that they can work their magic on Mitchell Johnson. In the meantime, i'll continue with the theory that CGCA is fairly ordinary.

Hopefully along with a bowling coach who works miracles, i hope Motown also possesses a sports psychologist for when Taz makes his CGCA debut.

There's no doubt he'd be getting some his success from bowling to batsman who've never faced him before. There's no comparison between the nets and a game though.

The CGCA is a poor league, but cricket in the CGCA and TDCA has dropped marginally over the years. Take Gormie, Toon and Ex Students on their good days out of the TDCA and what do you have?

Newborough has Harvey Poole and pretty much just kids after that, Fahy obviously wouldn't have that much success against good sides like Moe, Latrobe, Mirboo North or even Traf who are only ordinary.

Tazzie Johnson.........nothing needs to be said really.

Agreed. Although TDCA is a better standard, the league is monpolised by Gormy and Toon, who are so much better than the rest of the league. On their day, Ex-Students and Centrals could challenge, but neither are consistent enough to win a flag.

The standard of A Grade is declining - about that there is no doubt. The decline in B Grade is a bigger concern, which has now basically become C Grade on turf. C Grade is now down to 7 teams, when they had a 13 team competition about 3 years ago, so clearly the TDCA have their own issues at the moment.

TDCA and CGCA need to get rid of the byes badly, 7 in CGCA and 11 in TDCA is ordinary. Back in 2005 C grade had 14 teams as Panthers were still there with 2 C grade teams and Ex Students had 2 and teams like Rovers could actually field a side.

Boyd Hegarty was a B/C Grader at Imps and now he's middle order for Glen As, examples like that show the decline.

TDCA and CGCA need to get rid of the byes badly, 7 in CGCA and 11 in TDCA is ordinary. Back in 2005 C grade had 14 teams as Panthers were still there with 2 C grade teams and Ex Students had 2 and teams like Rovers could actually field a side.

Boyd Hegarty was a B/C Grader at Imps and now he's middle order for Glen As, examples like that show the decline.

Both leagues should merge it would be good to see moe flog the teams from TDCA. Rob Phoenix, Tom Long would love to get some more B grade sides to Flog. Should be down town!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgiel 174no against Ex Students in a one dayer is just crazy.
Almost as crazy as his 190 in a one dayer against Rosedale Kilmany a few years back or his 153 off 72 balls for the Dandenong 2s.

Dandenong Seconds batsman Adrian Burgiel provided an incredible exhibition of power hitting in the match against the Swans at the Harry Trott Oval. The Panthers tallied 5/353 from their 50 overs, believed to be a record Seconds one-day tally. Burgiel contributed 153 off just 72 balls with 11 fours and 12 sixes

Freak, wish I was there to watch the 174. I had to go to Melbourne.

Toons season pretty much done, Steve Nicholls has certainly come back down to earth this season.

They had an unhealthy reliance on him last season, with him getting them over the line in about 1/2 a dozen games. His poor form hasn't stopped him getting a game with GCL or Country Week however.

Toon have probably also sufferred from his brother not having anywhere the same impact as last season. And the lack of 2 day cricket, as i don't see them as being a great 45 over or 20/20 side, with the make up of their side much more suited to 80 over cricket.

TDCA having 20/20 rounds on Saturday is crap IMO, it's a hit and giggle comp. Apart from TDCA A grade obviously being of a higher standard you'd have to say the CGCA is the better ran league in regards to 20/20 and having no byes/forfeits in the lower grades.

I and a few of my old team mates no longer play cricket due to the fact that B Grade no longer has the 2 day games. To old and/or not good enough for A-Grade so forced to play B-Grade or below. So it works both ways, I suppose. I would rather have the opportunity to build an innings, than have to come in at No 5 with the score at 150 with 10 overs to play every week. But thats just me and Im only 1 bloke.

If 1-day cricket gets more blokes playing then thats a good thing, and if the TDCA identify this as a problem for them, then make the change.

He's not a bad player, but he shouldn't be getting 6/19 in A Grade in a half decent league. A 4 for is a good effort in GCL, but from what i've seen, very few leagues field anything close to their top 11 players at GCL, and some leagues clearly take GCL less seriously than others. I'm not slagging the bloke off personally, as i'm quite good friends with him, and have faced him hundreds of times in the nets, and played alongside him on numerous occassions. I'd be shocked if the great man himself wouldn't concede that he isn't an A Grade bowler, let alone a GCL bowler.

Having faced him for the first time yesterday i'd have to agree he's nothing special, pretty much just bowls full at the stumps with a bit of away movement and waits for you to make a mistake.

The great man rang me this morning to say he took 3/21 yday. Were you the bloke who danced down the wicket and lost his middle stump? Pretty confident he'll be back in Traralgon next season, due to the way he's been treated by Motown. Don't blame him either.

Any idea how the mercurial one, Taz Johnson went today?

In TDCA, the status quo remains with Gormy sneaking in by 150 runs in their semi-final. Can't see the CATS lads causing an upset, but i said that 2 years ago when they faced Churchill and see how that ended up.

Na he didn't get me out, I went for one too many big hits off Aaron Johnstone and skied one and boy did he let me know about it the Moe Rat lol.

Tazzie had figures of 2 for 18 off 24 overs so he must have bowled OK, Morwell aren't too flash though.

You wouldn't go to Moe for anything but a flag, personally i'd rather finish last every season and play with good blokes rather than win every year and play with a bunch of .....

Checkd out the Motown-Morwell A Grade scorecard. Looked to have been a hideously dull game, with 350 runs scored off 185 overs. Any wonder no one watches local cricket. The Morwell batsmen only taking 18 runs off Taz's 24 overs is terrible. The guy can bowl, but he's 5'8 and bowls 80% of deliveries in the one area, so not sure how you only score 18 off 144 balls.
Too scared to take any risks lol

Looking at the scorecard, you have to wonder what tactics the Morwell team were using....Surely Tazzie Johnson and the others couldn't have bowled 25+ maidens and get away with it.....

I'm sure Latrobe won't go about it in the same fashion.....

If Alphie doesn't fire Moe should win in a canter, Tazzie to best mate Dan
Siddle once again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back