Society/Culture Glenn McGrath - White Hunter, Pink Heart

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like hunting and would hate to catch a fish especially if it meant hooking it by its mouth.

That said, I love eating quality cuts and I love the fact the hunting industry has put a "price" on wildlife. By placing value to wildlife, the locals protect their area from poachers as they are effectively being robbed.

I still don't like it but without it, African wildlife probably wouldn't exist. but seriously if you like guns, shoot a target.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't like hunting and would hate to catch a fish especially if it meant hooking it by its mouth.

That said, I love eating quality cuts and I love the fact the hunting industry has put a "price" on wildlife. By placing value to wildlife, the locals protect their area from poachers as they are effectively being robbed.

I still don't like it but without it, African wildlife probably wouldn't exist. but seriously if you like guns, shoot a target.
were you missing an n

some cunning linguistics there

were you missing an n

some cunning linguistics there

just poor spelling as I can't even see where the n is missing.

but if its cunning, I will take credit for it anyway.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
You wouldn't make anywhere near 4 to 1 ROI in a commercial venture; 1.5 to 1 ROI is an extremely profitable business.
What are the ratios for other charities? Seems pretty harsh to be making judgements on something you have nothing to compare to.

Their cost to disbursement ratio is on the high side compared to other charities. I don't have time to find the link comparing charities but will do so later when I get a moment.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Their cost to disbursement ratio is on the high side compared to other charities. I don't have time to find the link comparing charities but will do so later when I get a moment.
do you know how much it costs to buy a dozen baggy greens, then find the right pink die, do the experiments the pink dies works on baggy green caps, and can make it thru 5 days, and be seen under the lights at night, and if the die and paint can withstand rough pitches and flakes off the ball from off the pitch. And then die the baggy green caps pink.

its not cheap.

raghav

All Australian
Sep 18, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
There should be a much more equitable distribution of funds for cancer research, all monies collected through the various charities should go into a central fund and be distributed equally for research into all types of cancers.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting looking at their 2014 Financials.

Around $14 million in income, of which only $8.5 million went to what the charity is designed for, with over $3.5 million spent on marketing/general/admin expenses.

Most charities would run closer to 8.5m admin 3.4m donations.

Look at some of the charities like starlight, make a wish etc.

Then scratch the surface and you will discover others who barely return anything at all.

The McGrath foundation does well. Though they do get a massive free kick once a year.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There should be a much more equitable distribution of funds for cancer research, all monies collected through the various charities should go into a central fund and be distributed equally for research into all types of cancers.

That is the governments job.

People should be able to target specific charities.

thurmanmunson

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Apr 25, 2010
Brooklyn
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Yankees
do you know how much it costs to buy a dozen baggy greens, then find the right pink die, do the experiments the pink dies works on baggy green caps, and can make it thru 5 days, and be seen under the lights at night, and if the die and paint can withstand rough pitches and flakes off the ball from off the pitch. And then die the baggy green caps pink.

its not cheap.

Pink fedoras and suit jackets aren't cheap either.

070108-a21a90de-16e6-11e4-9008-27f67b099eee.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This might seem noble but additional red tape and bureaucracy would probably just be an additional expense borne by the revenues.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Pink fedoras and suit jackets aren't cheap either.

070108-a21a90de-16e6-11e4-9008-27f67b099eee.jpg

surely there is a pic of Slats there. surely.

eh medusala you always have been an admirer of Slats sartorial sensibilities alliterationz. he does the pink hair, or the skunk pink die thru the hair too. he had me at that. But they should have some respect to KP genius who is the only one who can pull off the skunk hair with a brio and elan inimitable to KP

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS

its not cheap.

If his charity is paying for those I'll eat my...pink hat.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
"Private hunting reserves help save species" line is pretty overused. The animals are bred to be shot not integrated into the threatened wild populations.

Arguably they hinder the PR of conservation because the public mistakenly assumes the wild population must be doing well.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
"Private hunting reserves help save species" line is pretty overused. The animals are bred to be shot not to be integrated into the threatened wild populations.
I agree its overused but the inarguable net result is more animals are alive than there otherwise would be.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree its overused but the inarguable net result is more animals are alive than there otherwise would be.
but, ask yourself, if the animals are bred for the kettle hunt, live artifical existence inside kettle canned hunt. They are bred and fed to be shot, and are not properly hunted as wildlife. if you count them, you are artificially inflating the figure

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
but, ask yourself, if the animals are bred for the kettle hunt, live artifical existence inside kettle canned hunt. They are bred and fed to be shot, and are not properly hunted as wildlife. if you count them, you are artificially inflating the figure
Yes and no. You wouldn't count a zoo but how large does a private game reserve have to be before it is considered "wild"? Many game reserves in Africa are orders of magnitude larger than Australian national parks, which are essentially what is left of "the wild".

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!

what? endangered species are listed by how many are left in the wild and national parks. private game reserves aren't counted.

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2018 Essendon Player Sponsor 2017 Essendon Player Sponsor 2016 Essendon Player Sponsor 2014 Essendon Player Sponsor 2015
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
quoted from the highest selling book in the history of man, sold by five of ten richest religions in the world. The church of England alone has an investment portfolio worth $6.7 billion that generates over $250 million a year..... and we haven't even gotten to donation yet.

i suppose the irony of the religions using that quote throughout history to guilt the sick and dying into donating all their wealth to churches upon death which lead to their rise and influence across the world is completely lost on you.

Not the thread for it, but your understanding is so far off the mark that it is sad.

Back